PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this the greatest defense in the 16 game era

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I think points allowed, while a better indicator of a teams likelihood of winning, can be misleading. If opposing offenses are consistently killing the clock on long drives (7-8 min drives) but settle for FGs, it shortens the game considerably and puts a big onus on the offense. This is a sign of a solid defense, but not an elite one...

There's nothing misleading about the score. It's why they put it up on the big board in the largest numbers. Don't believe it? How about this; "Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners. And that's what it's really all about."

You might recognize the guy that said it...

There's nothing misleading about the score. It's why they put it up on the big board in the largest numbers. Don't believe it? How about this; "Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners. And that's what it's really all about."

You might recognize the guy that said it...

100% agree.
But people who are fixated on stats are trying to use them to predict a game that hasn’t been played. In a sport like football it’s pretty useless because teams and matchups are so different.

100% agree.

If only there was an icon for that...;)

But people who are fixated on stats are trying to use them to predict a game that hasn’t been played. In a sport like football it’s pretty useless because teams and matchups are so different.

It never ceases to amaze me that people that have had the benefit of watching a team that is so thoroughly matchup and gameplan specific fall into that habit. The Pats haven't won as much as they have because they've always had the better stats or talent but rather because they have leveraged favorable matchups better through their gameplanning and execution.

Probably not but that's okay.

Is there really an argument that yards are more important than points? hahahahahaha

This defense is beyond amazing. The communication in the secondary is out of this world.

mayo and bb jr. have done an incredible job.

some of us were concerned when we lost a bunch of coaches in the offseason, but bb has brought in new coaches and we have not missed a beat. As a matter of fact, the new coaches with the holdovers have helped bring us to a new level.

Theyre in the argument for best passing D all time. The numbers are obscene, especially in an era absolutely dominated by the pass. The run D is "ok"

Ask me when they get a ring.

Pretty special but if it doesn’t get a championship it, doesn’t belong in the conversation as the clear cut best ever.

I’d consider the 07 Pats as one of the greatest offenses of all time. Had they won pretty sure they would of gotten the stamp of approval by everyone as the best.

However after time to reflect, the 07 offense had a flaw. It couldn’t run the ball when it mattered and it was it’s undoing.

Need to see if this years defense can stop the run when it matters most.

Can't be in the conversation when you let the Ravens bend you over and take you behind the barn. I am sure the chiefs will drop a nice 30 burger as well. Best defense against mediocre teams.

Can't be in the conversation when you let the Ravens bend you over and take you behind the barn. I am sure the chiefs will drop a nice 30 burger as well. Best defense against mediocre teams.
Great first post. Stick to Game Day Threads, please!!!

2013 Seahawks pass D was incredible. Three players who are on the all-decade team (Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor). They allowed the following:

- 59.0% completion
- 16 td (3.1% td rate)
- 5.8 y/a
- 172.0 pass yds per game
- 63.4 rating

And they had:
- 28 int
- 44 sacks
- 99 QB hits
- 91 passes defended

Compare those numbers to the Pats so far:
- 53.9% completion
- 4 td (1.1% td rate)
- 5.4 y/a
- 158.0 pass yds per game
- 50.5 rating

And they have:
- 20 int (projects to 29)
- 37 sacks (projects to 54)
- 77 QB hits (projects to 112)
- 67 passes defended (projects to 97)

And this with "only" one "elite" defensive back, though I wouldn't be surprised if several others, when it's all said and done, garner much greater respect than they have now, because there's serious talent in the Pats' secondary.

For your 1st post on this board that is what you choose to write?

Good luck with your time here.

For your 1st post on this board that is what you choose to write?

Good luck with your time here.

I am more than happy to be proven wrong and I will be the first to admit it if they can hold the Chiefs to 20 points or less.

I am more than happy to be proven wrong and I will be the first to admit it if they can hold the Chiefs to 20 points or less.
You sound more like an angry cowboys fan.

My god.

Pretty special but if it doesn’t get a championship it, doesn’t belong in the conversation as the clear cut best ever.

I’d consider the 07 Pats as one of the greatest offenses of all time. Had they won pretty sure they would of gotten the stamp of approval by everyone as the best.

However after time to reflect, the 07 offense had a flaw. It couldn’t run the ball when it mattered and it was it’s undoing.

Need to see if this years defense can stop the run when it matters most.

Go rewatch the the Divisional playoff game and the AFC Championship from 2007

The Cowboys were averaging 28.6 PPG before they played us and we literally didn't let them score a TD ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing