PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this the end of a potential Chiefs dynasty?

The Chiefs would have been so much better off if the league had suspended Frank Clark for the season and if his legal troubles caused him to miss time. They could have attempted to void a lot of his contract.

$26M cap hit this year
$13M dead cap hit next year if they cut him; they'll probably try to spread that out, but regardless they'll pay it eventually.

Plus a first and second round pick :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bills 90-93 were a greater dynasty than the Chiefs could be, even without winning a SB. 4 straight SB appearances beats 2 straight with 1 win surrounded by 2 AFCCG home losses. I don't know if they can keep this going next year. But IF they were able to win the SB next year, I'd consider considering it a mini-dynasty.

Chiefs roster is going to have major turnover this offseason. Will be interested to see if they do anything with Mahomes contract. His cap hit is $35 mil.
My understanding of the contract - which I gladly admit might be wrong - is they can kick the can a little further down the road if they so choose. I believe it is a club option to convert the $27.4 million roster bonus to a signing bonus and pro-rate it over the next 5 years (IIRC, they have already done this).

That changes his 2022 cap hit from $35.8 million to $13.9 million - and puts his dead money in the $110 million to $115 million range.

My understanding of the contract - which I gladly admit might be wrong - is they can kick the can a little further down the road if they so choose. I believe it is a club option to convert the $27.4 million roster bonus to a signing bonus and pro-rate it over the next 5 years (IIRC, they have already done this twice).

That changes his 2022 cap hit from $35.8 million to $13.9 million - and puts his dead money in the $110 million to $115 million range.
That sounds right to me. I know they structured his deal in a way to be able to maneuver the hits but man if he continues to regress they will have all that money tied up at the end. Paying him a half billon to run around and throw picks is looking like one of the worst contracts in football history.

Is getting paid a huge contract awesome? Hell yeah, absolutely. In a team sport with a salary cap? If you're the QB, not so much. Starting this next season, his cap hit will now represent 17.1% of the team's total cap. In 2023, 20.8%. 1/5 of total cap space for ONE player. That leaves 4/5 of the rest of the cap to sign 52 guys. In the NFL, that will result in a decline in talent around you. You gotta be willing to be the younger Brady who took good deals, but not crippling deals.

EDIT: Skipped the critical word 'not'. Doh.

Last edited:
The Chiefs would have been so much better off if the league had suspended Frank Clark for the season and if his legal troubles caused him to miss time. They could have attempted to void a lot of his contract.

$26M cap hit this year
$13M dead cap hit next year if they cut him; they'll probably try to spread that out, but regardless they'll pay it eventually.

Plus a first and second round pick :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Suspend a Chief? :rofl:

It's not like he did something outrageous like play football in rainy 40 degree weather.

Chiefs went into AFCCG weekend as the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl 4 straight years and to only come away with a come from behind victory in 1 Super Bowl certainly feels like an opportunity lost. Very happy that was the case and I look forward to seeing them struggle managing the cap and dealing with some of their aging stars.

When you talk about, "if the Chiefs win the next 2 super bowls." There is virtually no chance of that happening.

Suppose they are 1 of 10 teams that are realistically good enough to win it all. That's a 1 in 10 chance. To win it 2 years in a row, it would be 1 in 100.

They were inevitably going to get worse once they signed mahomes to his huge contract, so their odds are going to get even longer.

Bills 90-93 were a greater dynasty than the Chiefs could be, even without winning a SB. 4 straight SB appearances beats 2 straight with 1 win surrounded by 2 AFCCG home losses. I don't know if they can keep this going next year. But IF they were able to win the SB next year, I'd consider considering it a mini-dynasty.

If you don’t win it all at least once it’s worthless sorry.

Well, I'll give them that they've been to 4 straight AFCC games, but they're only 2-2 in those games and 1-1 in SB's, including an absolute blowout loss which is no-no for a "dynasty". Without Hill they're an average team, he's by far their best player. I could see them maybe winning 1 more but no more than that.
Patriots have lost 3 Superbowls and 4 AFC championship games if memory serves (Indy, Denver x2, Baltimore) ... I'm not sure how KC losing a couple big games precludes them from a "dynasty".

That said, it will be hard to keep it together BUT they have the best QB on the planet on their team who happens to be young still...so talk of their demise is way premature

Patriots have lost 3 Superbowls and 4 AFC championship games if memory serves (Indy, Denver x2, Baltimore) ... I'm not sure how KC losing a couple big games precludes them from a "dynasty".

That said, it will be hard to keep it together BUT they have the best QB on the planet on their team who happens to be young still...so talk of their demise is way premature
You mean the QB who was horrible in the second half of yesterdays AFCCG? That greatest QB in the planet?

There's really no reason to be optimistic about their chances of winning more SBs. NE lost some big games but that was after already becoming a dynasty with 3 rings in 4 years. As someone else posted, the Chiefs are like the Colts in the mid-2000's, with 1 ring.

There's really no reason to be optimistic about their chances of winning more SBs. NE lost some big games but that was after already becoming a dynasty with 3 rings in 4 years. As someone else posted, the Chiefs are like the Colts in the mid-2000's, with 1 ring.

They’re like all the teams that paid tons of money to keep their superstars, which is an unsustainable strategy and why Belichick was always so cautious about that. The Chiefs are probably the worst culprit of all, though. Incredibly, their cap ramifications have still not hit hard.
  • 2000s Colts
  • 2010s Packers
  • 2010s Seahawks

Chiefs are a great team, no doubt. With that said, the possibility of winning three superbowls in four years is now over and they will now need to win a superbowl and reset in order to do what few teams can do. Even if you don't consider 3 in 4 years a dynasty, they probably won't win 3 in 5 years and they have obviously won less than their talent should have won. Bill Belichick would have won 2 rings with that unit in their 4 year span. Maybe 3.

Is this the nail in the coffin of a chiefs dynasty?
No.

The Queefs still have the potential to be a dynasty.

If they win the SB in 2022 and 2023 and throw in 2019 as the win and 2020 as coming close that is the minimal standard for a dynasty.

1) It's hard to win consistently in the NFL, even with stacked rosters and relative injury luck
2) Eventually somebody will have another dynasty in the NFL (3+ titles in a 6-8 year span). It could still be the Chiefs if they win the next two. But to do it twice and arguably three times if you include the Brady Buc years (!), yeah that's not going to happen for a very long time. Brady is the Babe Ruth of the NFL and his and Bill's Pats are the 1920s AND 1960s Yankees in consecutive decades
The 1960s Yankees were in four World Series and won two. The 1950s Yankees were the most dominant of all the great Yankee teams. They were in eight World Series and won six.

I don't know why everyone is killing Mahomes. Yes he didn't play well yesterday but is there a team in the league that wouldn't take him as their QB right now?
With 45 and 50 million dollar cap hits coming up starting next year?

No.

No.

The Queefs still have the potential to be a dynasty.

If they win the SB in 2022 and 2023 and throw in 2019 as the win and 2020 as coming close that is the minimal standard for a dynasty.
Possible but going to be extremely hard. Mathieu is gone by the looks of it and they have to pay Hill again soon, Kelce will be older, and the rest of the AFC will get better including us.

Possible but going to be extremely hard. Mathieu is gone by the looks of it and they have to pay Hill again soon, Kelce will be older, and the rest of the AFC will get better including us.
Agree. Anything is possible.

Kelce has 2 years left max. Maybe.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back