PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this the end of a potential Chiefs dynasty?

Close between them and Pittsburgh. The Steelers are the only team i know who cost themseLves at least one additional play to try tying a game because their wr was showboating on the last drive while the clock was running.
Poor coaching.

Tomlin has always lacked discipline.

Tomlin has issues but in retrospect he held together some of the largest egos on any roster far longer than others would have.
One could argue egos metastasize under Tomlin's authority.
I can't think of a single team whose playmakers consistently adopt a 'me first' attitude as if it is a Steelers rite of passage.

In Tomlin's defense, Pittsburg clearly values 'talent' far far more than character on draft day.......and those lacking intangibles too often become team malcontents when rookie contracts are about to expire.

The 'talent/ego' balancing act can be just as important as X's and O's and players who go "me first" can just as easily ruin a team's season as a bad game plan.
For example: AB helped derail 4 teams (Pitt, NE, LV, TB) in 4 years despite being an incredible talent

Last edited:
Tomlin has issues but in retrospect he held together some of the largest egos on any roster far longer than others would have.
Other coaches have you check egos at the door.

He let a player record a locker speech regarding kicking the Patriots behinds. The AB vs Ben feud was allowed to fester and get out pf control.

A dynasty is a minimum of a 10-year sustained run and 3 titles, along with additional championship game appearances and no .500 or lower seasons.

Those are the rules.
Thinking about this some more. It's kind of like the hall of fame--there will always be questions at the periphery, but this is a good standard to use.

It's not 3-4 years. That should put to rest 90% of this "dynasty" nonsense, which seems to start when teams win a Super Bowl followed by a decent regular season.

Truth be told, the Chiefs COULD actually have a dynasty (not saying I see it happening, for all the reasons laid out already), but that this 4-year run is not a bad start to one--4 AFC championship games, 2 Super Bowl appearances, and a Super Bowl victory. If in the next 6 years the Chiefs go to 3 or 4 more championship games and win a couple more Super Bowls, that would be dynasty-like.

Thinking about this some more. It's kind of like the hall of fame--there will always be questions at the periphery, but this is a good standard to use.

It's not 3-4 years. That should put to rest 90% of this "dynasty" nonsense, which seems to start when teams win a Super Bowl followed by a decent regular season.

Truth be told, the Chiefs COULD actually have a dynasty (not saying I see it happening, for all the reasons laid out already), but that this 4-year run is not a bad start to one--4 AFC championship games, 2 Super Bowl appearances, and a Super Bowl victory. If in the next 6 years the Chiefs go to 3 or 4 more championship games and win a couple more Super Bowls, that would be dynasty-like.

So they’ve completely sh.it the bed 3 out of the last 4 years but IF they suddenly turn it around and go on an unprecedented run then they’ll be a dynasty. Yeah sounds plausible despite it never happening before. Losing a Super Bowl, especially in absolutely back breaking fashion, has an almost unbeaten record of derailing a team’s long term trajectory. We saw it all the time with teams the Pats beat. It was truly a remarkable feat that after the Pats lost Super Bowl 52 that they came back to win it the following year, that literally hadn’t happened in nearly 50 years.

I wonder if there were any Bills fans who thought that they were still a dynasty in the making after they lost that 4th super bowl.

Last edited:
So they’ve completely sh.it the bed 3 out of the last 4 years but IF they suddenly turn it around and go on an unprecedented run then they’ll be a dynasty. Yeah sounds plausible despite it never happening before. Losing a Super Bowl, especially in absolutely back breaking fashion, has an almost unbeaten record of derailing a team’s long term trajectory. We saw it all the time with teams the Pats beat. It was truly a remarkable feat that after the Pats lost Super Bowl 52 that they came back to win it the following year, that literally hadn’t happened in nearly 50 years.

I wonder if there were any Bills fans who thought that they were still a dynasty in the making after they lost that 4th super bowl.
Totally agree I don’t see it happening.

Just saying that four straight years to the championship game, two Super Bowl appearances, and a Super Bowl victory would fit into a dynasty if they were to sustain, which we agree they almost certainly won’t.

If they win the next two SB's (They'll be favorites), they would be a dynasty.

But there hasn't been a repeat in nearly 20 years.

Nope, 6 year run is too short. Be a great six year run though

They will not be actually favorites I don’t care if Vegas has an early line after the Super Bowl saying that they’re the most likely to win the Super Bowl next season they aren’t.

Dynasties as we knew them are dead. Imo, these days 3 sb in a 10 yr span ( of course without another team matching or coming close to you) would qualify as a dynasty. 3 titles in 5 years i don’t think happens again with a salary cap in place. It wasn’t supposed to happen after 95 but the patriots did something that shouldn’t have been doable twice. It took a very rare combination at the 2 most important positions affecting a team’s ability to win. Not gonna happen again. So if there ever is going to be a ‘dynasty’ again it would be a relative dynasty to the times.

I would take the field over KC.

Greatest Dynasties in the super bowl era:

1. Patriots (2001-2018)

2. 49ers (80s)

3. Steelers (70s)

4. Cowboys (90s)

5. Packers (60s) - granted I don't know much about this one but the Lombardi teams were very good and could be placed higher on this list

I don't know about showboating, but those Ravens team with Turdell Thuggs and the serial killer were far more obnoxious.
The Pats owned them. And every time they would lose to New England those *****es would whine and cry and throw a tantrum that put most five year old girls to shame. The excuses were endless. The losses were always everyone's fault but their own. Compared to them, the current day Chiefs are angels. I will admit I find Kelce to be the biggest non criminal douche in the league.

Dynasties as we knew them are dead. Imo, these days 3 sb in a 10 yr span ( of course without another team matching or coming close to you) would qualify as a dynasty. 3 titles in 5 years i don’t think happens again with a salary cap in place. It wasn’t supposed to happen after 95 but the patriots did something that shouldn’t have been doable twice. It took a very rare combination at the 2 most important positions affecting a team’s ability to win. Not gonna happen again. So if there ever is going to be a ‘dynasty’ again it would be a relative dynasty to the times.
That’s not really a change though. The patriots had a dynasty that stretched over 20 years. They didn’t have a dynasty from 2001-2004, they just won three Super Bowls in four years, which is awesome but not a dynasty.

Greatest Dynasties in the super bowl era:

1. Patriots (2001-2018)

2. 49ers (80s)

3. Steelers (70s)

4. Cowboys (90s)

5. Packers (60s) - granted I don't know much about this one but the Lombardi teams were very good and could be placed higher on this list
The only dynasties really. And the cowboys are really more just a great six year run as opposed to a dynasty. Arguably four years, when they won the three Super Bowls and went to the conference championship the other year. The bracketed two years they went to the playoffs but didn’t do anything. So you could stretch to six years.

I don’t think that’s a dynasty but I’ll take their application and consider it.

The Patriots are the only team in NFL history to dominate 2 decades. Brady is the only Qb named to two all decade teams. This notion that 3-5 years is a dynasty is a joke.

The only dynasties really. And the cowboys are really more just a great six year run as opposed to a dynasty. Arguably four years, when they won the three Super Bowls and went to the conference championship the other year. The bracketed two years they went to the playoffs but didn’t do anything. So you could stretch to six years.

I don’t think that’s a dynasty but I’ll take their application and consider it.

If that's the case, you would say that the Pats from 2001-2004 were not a dynasty, but I think everyone considered them to be a dynasty.

If that's the case, you would say that the Pats from 2001-2004 were not a dynasty, but I think everyone considered them to be a dynasty.
Not me! I thought it was a great four yeatr run, amazing to win 3 Super Bowls like that, but it wasn’t a dynasty

That’s not really a change though. The patriots had a dynasty that stretched over 20 years. They didn’t have a dynasty from 2001-2004, they just won three Super Bowls in four years, which is awesome but not a dynasty.

Depends how you view a dynasty. I felt like a significant run that really seperates /distinguishes a team from the rest of the sb winners is a dynasty.

Teams thats i feel jump out and deserve the label:

Both patriots versions (each one had its own special core of guys outside of the 2 common links bb and brady)

Early 90s cowboys

80s 49ers

70s Steelers

I understand and respect your view though.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back