PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is This The Decline Of Tom Brady? Look At The Film, And The Answer Is Obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, what often goes unspoken in these discussions is the element of play-calling and play design. Admittedly, it’s not an overly juicy topic for the hot take artists on TV to use as a springboard for shouting at each other, but it is nevertheless a significant aspect at play — especially on Sunday.

One of the things I think we've seen this year is an increase in risk-averse play calling. I'm not talking about Brady bailing out against the rush. I'm talking about this team limiting its plays out of personnel (or other) concerns. How much of that is about the decline of the receiving corps? How much of that is the hope that Michel will become something more than what Stevan Ridley was in his first years? How much of that is the concern with an OL that seems to make too many mistakes on the road? How much of that is the concern over a defense that is not getting nearly the amount of blame it deserves (Imagine how bad this game would have been if Roethlisberger hadn't coughed up two terrible passes, bailing the Patriots defense out both times) How much, if any, is about Brady no longer scanning the field in the same way he used to?

Too much dadgum passing. Tom's taking a beating. Josh needs to straighten his poop out.

Pretty balanced article. Blaming a little Tom and a little Josh. Didn't really explore the mental speed aspect of Tom's play but whatever

Too much dadgum running. ;)

Tom ought to be at the line running up-tempo no-huddle, which we never do anymore, and which wears out the D and slows the pass rush. The excuse was all the new people. Well, they ain't new anymore. Open it up. Attack.

Tom ought to be at the line running up-tempo no-huddle, which we never do anymore, and which wears out the D and slows the pass rush. The excuse was all the new people. Well, they ain't new anymore. Open it up. Attack.

I think you're half right. The up-tempo part is fine but it should include running plays. Play action works better when you have a threat of a running play.
I've never been a big fan of the pass-happy offense.

I have never been Josh’s biggest fan and he seems to be calling some odd plays but I think a lot of that is that we don’t seem to be able to just line up and play this year. He used to just toss in a trick play here and there when the offense needed a jump start but now it seems we are getting some gadget play once or twice a game. I think a large part of that is the two biggest parts of our offense are struggling or at worst inconsistent, Brady and Gronk. Last year against Pittsburg Brady went to Gronk damn never every play in clutch time. This year he tried and it failed miserably. Gronk isn’t getting open and Brady isn’t doing a good job adjusting.

I will say that it’s been a long time since I can recall two straight games in which a Brady red zone mental error cost points off the board.

Too much dadgum passing. Tom's taking a beating. Josh needs to straighten his poop out.

Brady ultimately makes the run/pass call based on what he sees from the defense at the line. Josh sends in the personnel grouping and the play options.

I think (opinion) it feels (more opinion) that TB is bailing on pressure a little earlier than we've seen him in the past. I would like to break down the film and say on play #____ he opens up to early, play #____ he's off balance, ect., but I know I am not going to do it. It's just how it feels to me.

Does anyone know how often, since Michel's return in week 10, this team has lined up with Brady in the shotgun, and the team going with the 5 receivers (Gordon/Edelman/Hogan/Dorsett, Patterson)?

nope, more like the decline of a decent running game, the lack of having an array of quality receivers, the decline of a run defense which is putting more onus on Brady to score points, and most importantly, the decline of an offensive coordinator's ability to come up with a decent offensive game plan on a consistent basis.

This team has always put the ball in Brady’s hands and lived or died in his arm in the post season but also been smart enough to know you can’t do that all preseason.

When the playoffs get here, it will be about Brady winning the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft