PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is This The Decline Of Tom Brady? Look At The Film, And The Answer Is Obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Brady need fast separation guys more than Brees, Rivers, or Ben? These other QB's seem to be able to throw into close coverage, or even double coverage and give their players a chance at the reception.

The lack of quick separation guys has compounded the problem as well. So Brady is stuck with long developing misdirection plays or his guys take too long to get open and he has to force the ball or move around a lot under pressure

Trent Dilfer today on Cowherd said that he thinks Tom's decline in numbers is due more to the fact that they've tried to transition to more of an old school style, and they will be looking to go back to an up tempo spread the next two games, as they have in the past. I'm not sure they have the WR to pull it off (though maybe they could get by with a lot of underneath stuff, but that gets shut down eventually), but it is worth a shot.

I think if they went with a lineup of Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, Hogan/Patterson, and Gronk, they'd find lots of juicy matchups there. But then I think Dorsett is better than the Patriots apparently think he is.

The double fake screen pass drives me crazy. It seems to work about 10% of the time. Just line up and play football.

When you have the talent advantage, you line up and play it straight, trusting in your talent advantage to win the day. When you have the talent disadvantage, you scheme and trick your way a lot more.

So the more rabbits they try to pull out of the hat, the more it tells you how they feel about the relative talent pools.

I think you're half right. The up-tempo part is fine but it should include running plays. Play action works better when you have a threat of a running play.
I've never been a big fan of the pass-happy offense.
I’m a fan of it. Think of the games where we’ve been against the wall... knowing that the offense NEEDED to come through in that moment. What has worked? Think about the 2014 run. Vs the ravens and the Seahawks, there was nothing like spreading out, going up tempo, and getting the quick game going. Everyone knew we were doing it. And it worked against terrific defenses. I would like to see us do it again. I’ll admit that not having dola really hurts, but between Gordon Jules white gronk (he’s still absolutely a threat) and hogan/Patterson, I can’t see why we wouldn’t be able to get it going.

I think the pass protection is as good this year as it was for past Super Bowl runs in recent years, to be honest

he had easy access to run out of bounds on each play, check the film. One of them he even probably could have made the TD.
Can you post that film? I haven't been able to find it online. AskJeeves couldn't help me.

Can you post that film? I haven't been able to find it online. AskJeeves couldn't help me.

5;49 5;57 minute mark

He really had White on the 3rd and 15 for a big gain, but it looks like he just had committed to the end zone just a nano second before he might have been able to look at him on second look

When you can’t run then there is really no other option than throwing it. Which main won us the last two super bowls.

It doesn't matter if they're successful (it's better of course) but just the threat of a run is enough to take some pressure off.

I remember watching a Browns/Steelers game a few years ago where the Browns had no running game but kept running anyway. The Steelers were absolutely teeing off on the pass plays. Eventually it started to work and the Browns would have pulled the game out if not for a terrible drop by one of the WRs.

I also remember the Pats going pass-happy in the second Giants SB, in spite of the fact that the Giants strength was their pass defense and their weakness was their run defense.

Apparently there was a car full of QBs driving off the cliff :rolleyes:o_O

Drew Brees 3 games, 531 yards, 2 touchdowns, 3 interceptions
Jared Goff 3 games, 627 yards 1 touchdown, 7 interceptions
Cam Newton 3 games, 626 yards, 2 touchdowns, 6 interceptions

Just the fact that we're comparing Brady to the likes of Goff and Newton is bad. They suck.

5;49 5;57 minute mark

He really had White on the 3rd and 15 for a big gain, but it looks like he just had committed to the end zone just a nano second before he might have been able to look at him on second look

That was actually the play that Gronk got interfered with. Chatham posted a request to NFL officiating for an explanation. Gronk gets checked in the chest about 8-10 yards past the LOS. If he hadn't, he would have been able to make a play on the ball. I don't see any way White could have gotten to the first down marker on 4th down.

Just the fact that we're comparing Brady to the likes of Goff and Newton is bad. They suck.

iu

It doesn't matter if they're successful (it's better of course) but just the threat of a run is enough to take some pressure off.

I remember watching a Browns/Steelers game a few years ago where the Browns had no running game but kept running anyway. The Steelers were absolutely teeing off on the pass plays. Eventually it started to work and the Browns would have pulled the game out if not for a terrible drop by one of the WRs.

I also remember the Pats going pass-happy in the second Giants SB, in spite of the fact that the Giants strength was their pass defense and their weakness was their run defense.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t run. They shouldn’t do it often when the game is dictating otherwise. You know what happens in the playoffs right. We have the only qb with a winning percentage when throwing over 40times.

A lot of hot takes after this loss but, 14 penalties and untimely drops kind of set the tone for the game and it’s outcome. But you may be right in the they need to scheme for the run more because our receivers just aren’t getting open.

That was actually the play that Gronk got interfered with. Chatham posted a request to NFL officiating for an explanation. Gronk gets checked in the chest about 8-10 yards past the LOS. If he hadn't, he would have been able to make a play on the ball. I don't see any way White could have gotten to the first down marker on 4th down.
yeah the 4th was out you could not do it on 4th.. The third down was the best look for White and he had room, but on second look Brady had just committed before he was really wide open. Second down he was there too.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t run. They shouldn’t do it often when the game is dictating otherwise. You know what happens in the playoffs right. We have the only qb with a winning percentage when throwing over 40times.

A lot of hot takes after this loss but, 14 penalties and untimely drops kind of set the tone for the game and it’s outcome. But you may be right in the they need to scheme for the run more because our receivers just aren’t getting open.

• We should be seeing play calling that has the 5 WRs on the field at the same time
  • We should be seeing play calling that has the 4 RBs on the field at the same time (counting Patterson as an RB)
  • If Michel can't get better numbers on the ground, we need to see fewer and/or different running plays
  • I'm still waiting to hear why Dorsett isn't getting more playing time and targets

Bottom line is that, since the 2010 draft, the strength of this offense has generally been its ability to use all sorts of personnel packages, and to thrive on the chaos that creates for opponents, and we're not seeing enough of that this year.

Apparently there was a car full of QBs driving off the cliff :rolleyes:o_O

Drew Brees 3 games, 531 yards, 2 touchdowns, 3 interceptions
Jared Goff 3 games, 627 yards 1 touchdown, 7 interceptions
Cam Newton 3 games, 626 yards, 2 touchdowns, 6 interceptions
It's "Thelma and DrewBrees"

Regards,
Chris

Why does Brady need fast separation guys more than Brees, Rivers, or Ben? These other QB's seem to be able to throw into close coverage, or even double coverage and give their players a chance at the reception.

Because that’s what he’s used to, Brady has not made his career out of throwing 50-50 balls and the interceptions that come with them. That’s why he’s the best QB in NFL history and a winner of 5 Super Bowls.

The answer to this offense’s problems is not doing what other offenses do but by doing what they’ve done for so long and to such success better.

The referees are the catspaws of that scumbag sitting enthroned at 345 Park Ave. NYC. No team looks good when penalties against are 14 to the home team's 4. Last night, there were so many egregious fouls in the Saints/Panthers game I lost count by halftime. Calls? Heh...krist there was one hit 7 yards out of bounds for chrissakes. The Panthers DID manage to stay in the game however, and eyes stayed glued to the TV screens.

You're watching an isomer of the WWE, constructed by Goodell and minions at the expressed wishes of the 32 Billionaires Boys Club members. You're trying to make sense out of something that only cents applies to. You all say "the fire seems to be out in these Pats players this season". Yeah, gee golly whiz...maybe they realized these ridiculous rules changes this season make a mockery out of the "game".Perhaps the lack of fire you see in other teams play at different junctures this season is the result of this "New NFL World Order".

The Article 46 decision SHOULD HAVE opened your eyes to this ongoing NFL scam, but fans are only interested in getting their weekly crack every Thursday and Sunday. They are quite willing to allow this sports media that is intrinsically tied into the NFL monolith to constantly bombard their lives with contrived narratives. All cogs in the multi-billion dollar a year NFL treasure bath machine.

As amazing as this narrative is, it’s the only form of entertainment that gets me daytime chuggin with the bros.

Though I have to admit, the quality of the product has become piss poor

the article neglects to mention on that series of plays Brady should have checked down to White on all but the 4th down.

I think they were out of time outs.

he had easy access to run out of bounds on each play, check the film. One of them he even probably could have made the TD.
Yep. White could've WALKED out of bounds before a defender approached him.

BOTH 2nd- and 3rd-down passes should've gone to White. The fact that Brady's not seeing these options is very, very troubling...same as not seeing an UNCOVERED Hogan at the LOS, and then badly missing him during his route, on 2nd down at the end of the first half of the Miami game.

Yep. White could've WALKED out of bounds before a defender approached him.

BOTH 2nd- and 3rd-down passes should've gone to White. The fact that Brady's not seeing these options is very, very troubling...same as not seeing an UNCOVERED Hogan at the LOS, and then badly missing him during his route, on 2nd down at the end of the first half of the Miami game.
I agree with you here. I will say though I watched them again closer and definitely “commits” to the end zone before he could have seen White.... BUT he should not have been unaware of White.... he had enough time to look to him ... and if he had no doubt he would have thrown to White ESPECIALLY on the 3rd down.

I actually think if Brady threw to White in the third down White would have a tough decision whether to get outbounds or to try fir the end zone. That is how much space he had if Brady leads him just right.

I actually feel like we may be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore