PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this season proof that Brady needs Belichick?

You should have stopped at no.

Your argument is Belichick can't find another adequate "dinker and dunker" to fit his system? In 9.5 seasons no luck? Because he's below .500 and hasn't won a division with every other quarterback besides Brady. He must really suck at picking quarterbacks then... can't even find an average one to excel in "his system."

Now 2020 was a fluke? The entire 20-game season? Let's see, won a Super Bowl in 2020, had an MVP-caliber season in 2021, and probably going to prevail in his division in 2022... yet there's "proof" he can't succeed? That's comical.
I cannot see the idiocy to which you are responding - nor do I want to - but I think our good friend @Ned Stark said it best in a previous post from early this season:

"If you change the outcome of the games he won, he would've lost! Checkmate Brady fans!"

I didn't say he can't succeed. I said he can't succeed either without Bill or a strong team around him. Over the past two years, Evans, Gronk, Brown, Goodwin, Marpet, Jensen, and Fournette carried him. And this year without Marpet, Jensen, Gronk, Brown, the Bucs offense (and Brady) has basically collapsed. Brady is near the bottom of the league in leading his team in touchdown drives. If those players didn't carry Brady, Brady would be playing well now since he is missing Gronk, Brown, Fournette, Jensen, and Marpet. Not rocket science.
I know what you said. You say it all the time... Brady owes every ounce of his success to someone else... Belichick, Gronk, Brown, etc. essentially a bunch of people who have never won anything without Brady and who Brady has won a Super Bowl without. But you keep doing you.

None of you guys want to hear it, but they needed each other to be as great as they could be. Alone very good, together they are great. Lennon and McCartney are fine alone, but together they are magical. Same with Bill and Tom.
How do you explain Brady's 7th Super Bowl ring? And Belichick's mediocrity as a head coach without Brady? (Mediocrity not being a word I would apply to Lennon or McCartney apart from one another.)

Except it is not the same. Lennon had #1 hits without McCartney. McCartney had #1 hits without Lennon.

Brady has won a Super Bowl without Belichick. Belichick has....... well, I guess once upon a time, during the Clinton administration (first term), he won a Wild Card game.....

"On Bended Knee" by Boyz II Men was the #1 song
"Dumb and Dumber" was the #1 movie
Not to argue, because you are right, they both had #1s. Together, they changed the world. Alone, they did not.

How do you explain Brady's 7th Super Bowl ring? And Belichick's mediocrity as a head coach without Brady? (Mediocrity not being a word I would apply to Lennon or McCartney apart from one another.)
The question was whether or not Brady needs Belichick. Your point of Brady > Bill is correct. Even Bill said Sunday, as he has throughout his career, players win games. Brady did not need Bill year 1, but he might now. You even said Bowles sucks.

It’s almost as if Brady is only responsible for one position on the roster and BB is responsible for the entire team so maybe, just maybe, a rebuild of an entire team takes a bit longer?

How do you explain Brady's 7th Super Bowl ring?

Gronk, Evans, Godwin, Brown, Fournette, White, David, Marpet, Jensen, Winfield, etc. That plus a lot of luck in the playoffs - playing Taylor Heinicke (Washington's 3rd string QB) and Drew Brees coming off 12 broken ribs and a collapsed lung. Not to mention KC missing 3 of their starting offensive linemen in the SB...

When that luck ran out last year and this year, Tampa hasn't done much.

The question was whether or not Brady needs Belichick. Your point of Brady > Bill is correct. Even Bill said Sunday, as he has throughout his career, players win games. Brady did not need Bill year 1, but he might now. You even said Bowles sucks.

You need good coaching to win multiple super bowls. In the history of the NFL, no quarterback has won multiple super bowls on the same team with mediocre coaching.

It’s almost as if Brady is only responsible for one position on the roster and BB is responsible for the entire team so maybe, just maybe, a rebuild of an entire team takes a bit longer?
With the right quarterback a team is rebuilt quickly. 2001 Bledsoe's injury jump started the rebuild. Ring 1. 2002 lost the division with a tie breaker. 2003, 2004 Ring 2 and 3. Rebuild pretty complete. Didn't take long at all. And to say Brady is responsible for one position is misleading.

You said Brady needed Belichick to be great... he doesn't... he won a Super Bowl and the next season he performed at an MVP level. Brady was great in both seasons. This one isn't over yet.

Bowles does suck. Astonishingly worse than Arians who everyone thinks is a meathead. Brady may just need Arians back (and Bowles gone), or not, we'll see.

Belichick should have hung onto Brady for dear life and hoped he could retool the team well enough around him to win. Now he's stuck trying to win with a good team surrounding a mediocre quarterback, which is much harder. Ultimately he's going to run out of time, unless he coaches into his 80's, because Josh Allen is going to be an immoveable object in the division for a long time to come.

You said Brady needed Belichick to be great... he doesn't... he won a Super Bowl and the next season he performed at an MVP level. Brady was great in both seasons. This one isn't over yet.

Bowles does suck. Astonishingly worse than Arians who everyone thinks is a meathead. Brady may just need Arians back (and Bowles gone), or not, we'll see.

Belichick should have hung onto Brady for dear life and hoped he could retool the team well enough around him to win. Now he's stuck trying to win with a good team surrounding a mediocre quarterback, which is much harder. Ultimately he's going to run out of time, unless he coaches into his 80's, because Josh Allen is going to be an immoveable object in the division for a long time to come.
Next stop is Don Shula for BB.

Remember, we have a lot of cap space next year. Our last two drafts have been great, let's not make this team out to be a lucky if we win 3 games. Help is coming and maybe we get into the playoffs again this year. We'll see.

With the right quarterback a team is rebuilt quickly. 2001 Bledsoe's injury jump started the rebuild. Ring 1. 2002 lost the division with a tie breaker. 2003, 2004 Ring 2 and 3. Rebuild pretty complete. Didn't take long at all. And to say Brady is responsible for one position is misleading.
Just curious but were you a Pats fan yet in 2001-2004? Those teams were loaded with star players. You cannot win Super Bowls and be going through a rebuild at the same time.

Last time I checked Belichick has a better record than Brady does this year...

Maybe you should take cues from your God...

Next stop is Don Shula for BB.

Remember, we have a lot of cap space next year. Our last two drafts have been great, let's not make this team out to be a lucky if we win 3 games. Help is coming and maybe we get into the playoffs again this year. We'll see.
You're not here to discipline me, are you?

There's no doubt Belichick will coach until he passes Shula. I also don't doubt the possibility of another playoff appearance this season. But the fun probably stops there unless they matchup with Tennessee. But still, for the foreseeable future, we're going to keep finding out that Buffalo is just too good.

We'll see about the drafts yet. If Mac turns out to be a dud... well obviously that's a major concern. I like Stevenson but the Patriots go through RBs like tissue paper and RBs don't win Super Bowls. The Jones(s) of this year's draft look good, and Zappe was fun for awhile, but the success of the draft will hinge on Strange and Thornton. Strange has been up and down, this past game not one of his better ones. Thornton has been very quiet despite some decent snap percentages. So I think "great" is a bit strong at this point.

Brady needs someone to check him exactly the same as Bill does. Who's going to stand up to Bill in the coaches meeting? Who is going to stand up to Tom and check him? Arians may have done that a little year 1, and he's out.

None of you guys want to hear it, but they needed each other to be as great as they could be. Alone very good, together they are great. Lennon and McCartney are fine alone, but together they are magical. Same with Bill and Tom.

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

Are you saying Leftwich/Bowles are competent lmao

It shows that Tampa Bay failed with the “keep the band together” philosophy. Now you’re seeing the problems with paying top dollar for their own FAs (Barrett, Davis, Fournette) when these guys didn’t warrant that. Also that second round pick spent on Trask was incredibly stupid. Finally, they didn’t spend draft picks to acquire sure fire contributors knowing their window was very slim.

Just curious but were you a Pats fan yet in 2001-2004? Those teams were loaded with star players. You cannot win Super Bowls and be going through a rebuild at the same time.
Yes I was. I actually lucked into attending Brady's fisrt start. We were rebuilding then. We won with waiver wire players in 01. 2 all pros in 03 and 1 in 04. We had good players but Brady was efficient and became a star in 03. Different era but I dont see Mac leading those teams to superbowls.

Last edited:
Last time I checked Belichick has a better record than Brady does this year...

Maybe you should take cues from your God...

What's your point?

Are you saying Leftwich/Bowles are competent lmao
I'm saying the Leftwich more than likely will not stand up Brady and more likely will rubber stamp everything Brady wants to do offensively. Much like the folks on Bill's staff now. Who is there that will stand up to Bill and tell him he's wrong?

Bowles sucks. He's a fine defense coordinator.

They actually weren't loaded at all in 2001. They were coming off of a 5-11 season in 2000 with the Parcells leftovers underachieving and had some bad seasons from 1999 to 2000. Going into the 2001 season, the only "star" players on the team were Bledsoe, Law, Milloy, McGinest, Ted Johnson and Terry Glenn who coming off of some bad years.

They had a big regression on D in 2002 which prompted Bill to rebuild it in 2003 allowing him to switch to a 3-4.

They didn't have many Pro Bowlers or All Pro's in 2003 and 2004, but they had one of the best overall rosters in the NFL.

Last edited:
Brady needs someone to check him exactly the same as Bill does. Who's going to stand up to Bill in the coaches meeting? Who is going to stand up to Tom and check him? Arians may have done that a little year 1, and he's out.

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF
The examples of average to below average coaches getting to a SB are far more numerous than with players. That's why the age old saying goes: Coaches don't win games, players do. Coaches can only lose them.
Even Bill says it's a player's game and he's correct.

Brady has been great alone. Bill has not. Not even close.

As for standing up to Bill, that wasn't what I heard about Brady. His college counselor said that he had a strong sense of respect for authority, which means he was perfect for Bill's authoritative style. IMHO there's no way that a PEDton Manning or an Aaron Rodgers is going to be as subservient to Bill as Brady was. Brady played for relative chump change too.

I know some people don't want to hear it, but letting Brady go was one of the biggest blunders in Boston sports history.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back