PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this a crazy idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I usually don’t do this, I’m not of fan of wild trade ideas, however Quinn and Patricia have to win now, and they have their QB. So here is the offer: S. Gilmore, J . Edelman, the #23, and a 2nd next year for the #3 overall, but only if Burrow is the only QB off the board at #3.

Rip away.....

Gilmore is probably the best cornerback in the league. He has two years left on his contact. If I’m trading him, there’s very few circumstances where he’s part of a package going out. I’m demanding a lot for him.

Edleman is our one definite bright spot or receiver if he’s healthy. Hopefully the young guys pan out but right now Jules is it. I’d be Leary if trading him, especially since he’s worth far more to us than another team at this point.

Don’t love it. I’d rather restock various positions and try out Stidham this year. He’s a low cost option that isn’t a huge draft investment. Expectations are lower for him than a QB we draft at #3 would have. I don’t see BB going all in like this while weakening his ability to restock through the draft.

Burrow is going first.

Burrow is going first.
You didn't read carefully enough.

As for the post, I would actually be OK with trading Gilmore if it got us the right kid that we could win with long term. However I wouldn't do this. Tua is too injury prone. I'm an Oregon fan so I'd like Herbert but I think this is high for him (understanding that QB always go high, that's the price of admission). So I would pass. If you were talking Burrow . . . different story.

Why does everyone want to trade Gilmore? Don't you remember the days of Whilhite,Wheatley, Darius Butler & Duane 'hose me down too burned to play from that last 50 yard bomb" Starks?

As for the post, I would actually be OK with trading Gilmore if it got us the right kid that we could win with long term. However I wouldn't do this. Tua is too injury prone. I'm an Oregon fan so I'd like Herbert but I think this is high for him (understanding that QB always go high, that's the price of admission). So I would pass. If you were talking Burrow . . . different story.
Yup, goof on my end.

Why does everyone want to trade Gilmore? Don't you remember the days of Whilhite,Wheatley, Darius Butler & Duane 'hose me down too burned to play from that last 50 yard bomb" Starks?
Yes, I remember them very vividly. And the trendy suggestion last off-season was trading Jonathan Jones, which I routinely trashed.

I’m not there yet with Gimore. I’d only entertain it down the road if the young guys continue to ascend and the offense struggles. I’d be looking for a trade similar to Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis.

I don't and I doubt many do. It's just that he is signed for $11M and $12M (cap hit more due to bonus but new team would get 2 years/$23M) which is an incredible bargain.

Jalen Ramsey went for two #1 and a #4. He's younger but was also closer to the end of his contract. You have to have the right match but if we could get an offer like that, I would reluctantly do it.

Burrow is going first.
There’s the voice of reason here....surprised you didn’t get more agrees/winners.....Burrows is an Ohio kid with ONE phenomenal and fairytale year as college QB!!! Was exciting to watch and I wish him all the best! Seems like Cincy is going to go all in and start to build a championship franchise .....Burrows will go there and either be legendary or next flop up!!’

Burrow is going first.

That’s a given, the only question is a team trading up to # 2, and I doubt that happens. It’s basically a Tua trade, and Belichick has Saban to rely on.

I don't and I doubt many do. It's just that he is signed for $11M and $12M (cap hit more due to bonus but new team would get 2 years/$23M) which is an incredible bargain.

Jalen Ramsey went for two #1 and a #4. He's younger but was also closer to the end of his contract. You have to have the right match but if we could get an offer like that, I would reluctantly do it.

No doubt I would love a return like the Ramsey trade. If only Bill O'Brien didn't trade away all his draft picks then we could have something haha.

What part of we’re not rebuilding do people not understand. Jules is going nowhere. He’s going to be Stidham’s best friend just like he was Brady’s. Based on his social media posts, he doesn’t want to be traded. This is his chance to prove he’s a great player on his own and not just a creation of Tom Brady.

I truly doubt Bill Belichick looks at the QB and thinks like a lot of fans that it’s like finding a unicorn. A unicorn that can only be found by drafting first overall or wild trades that bring a recognizable name to play the position.

Truth is Belichick has been a coach on Super Bowl winning teams QB’d by Jeff Hostelter and a certain wet behind the ears 6th round QB in his second year. Not to mention one Quarterbacked by a 41 year old who struggled for most of the season and played a poor SB except for one drive in the 4th quarter.

One final thing about high draft pick QBs. Some of us who have been around for a while have seen more than a few of them fail. If Joe Burrows had come out for the draft after the 2018 season, he would not have been a 1st round pick much less the first pick overall. Great coaching and even greater talent around him helped. If Jarred Stidham, had come out after the 2017 season when Auburn beat Alabama in the Iron bowl, he would have been drafted much higher than the 4th round. Coaching and timing matter. Stidham has all the physical and mental traits Burrows has. He had every chance to be as good or better than Burrows. And, I think Burrows will be a good one.

FTR I’m not aching to trade Gilmore or Edelman, however Tua was thought to be a franchise QB before the injury, and most still have him top 5, and like Burrow they would have to see him as a QB that will win big for them for the next 10-15 years. They clearly don’t have the draft capital to go up to #3 so I was trying to find a way to get there, and given the Lions needs and the Patriots roster this was the best way I could see getting there. It’s far more likely they trade down to build u picks between 33-90, but o figured I would throw this out there.

Moot point because the Bengals have moved on from Andy Dalton and need a franchise QB.

The Bengals claim that they might keep Dalton as a mentor for a rookie QB. So, a new QB is in their plans and Burrow will be it.

I usually don’t do this, I’m not of fan of wild trade ideas, however Quinn and Patricia have to win now, and they have their QB. So here is the offer: S. Gilmore, J . Edelman, the #23, and a 2nd next year for the #3 overall, but only if Burrow is the only QB off the board at #3.

Rip away.....
no, im not doing that trade. Maybe if Burrow is still on the board, but even then. We are going to need a strong D as we figure out what we have in the offense. I may be in the minority, but i dont think Tua will be a good pro. He was great in college but also had world class talent at WR. Nice kid and hope the best for him, but i just dont see him being that great.

Too big ransom for Tua. First thing is Edelman and Gilmore are proven players maybe even best in our defensive and offensive formations. We do not know what player Tua will be after the injury and assuming he will be good - what gap is between him and Stidham ( if there is ). Let Stidham play and then we will have an opportunity to evaluate his talent. If somehow we put it into practice and grab Tua and he will not appear to be our franchise QB we will lose also our best CB and WR. IMO that trade scenario is too risky.

I wouldn't trade Gilmore who is our best player. Curious if Burrow is off the board who would be the target at number 3, Tua? That would be a lot to give up imo.

FTR I’m not aching to trade Gilmore or Edelman, however Tua was thought to be a franchise QB before the injury, and most still have him top 5, and like Burrow they would have to see him as a QB that will win big for them for the next 10-15 years. They clearly don’t have the draft capital to go up to #3 so I was trying to find a way to get there, and given the Lions needs and the Patriots roster this was the best way I could see getting there. It’s far more likely they trade down to build u picks between 33-90, but o figured I would throw this out there.
Oh, DW Ivan, I hope you don’t have a fever.

There’s the voice of reason here....surprised you didn’t get more agrees/winners.....Burrows is an Ohio kid with ONE phenomenal and fairytale year as college QB!!! Was exciting to watch and I wish him all the best! Seems like Cincy is going to go all in and start to build a championship franchise .....Burrows will go there and either be legendary or next flop up!!’

It's crazy how multiple people now have shown they didn't actually read the original post. Nobody here is suggesting Burrow might drop to 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes