PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the NFL going through a great player drought?

Football is a dying game for kids. Many parents don't want their sons to play.
Agree with this, but parents may not know that horseback riding is actually riskier: "In a press release, the researchers say that “when controlled for hours of activity, horseback riding resulted in a higher proportion of hospital admission than other higher risk activities...The risk of hospitalization for injuries related to horseback riding surpasses that for football, skiing, and auto and motorcycle racing, according to researchers at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley." Horseback-riding injuries are a ‘frequently ignored public health issue,’ say researchers

This qualifies as the most bizarre factoid I've come across in a while.

Agree with this, but parents may not know that horseback riding is actually riskier: "In a press release, the researchers say that “when controlled for hours of activity, horseback riding resulted in a higher proportion of hospital admission than other higher risk activities...The risk of hospitalization for injuries related to horseback riding surpasses that for football, skiing, and auto and motorcycle racing, according to researchers at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley." Horseback-riding injuries are a ‘frequently ignored public health issue,’ say researchers

This qualifies as the most bizarre factoid I've come across in a while.

The important distinction here would be if those horseback riding injuries are chronic, debilitating issues, that end up with someone completing losing themselves due to brain trauma. Maybe in some cases there is repeated head trauma ... would be interesting if there are a handful of cases of CTE or similar from falls while riding.

Football is a dying game for kids. Many parents don't want their sons to play.
Soccer will take over.

Anyone can play soccer and all you need is shoes, shorts and a ball. Accidently bump into a soccer player and a team of medical professionals will rush out on the field to treat said player.

Accidently bump into a soccer player and a team of medical professionals will rush out on the field to treat said player.
In another demonstration of the twisted way in which the mind works I read this and the first thing I thought of wasn't serious or relevant...it was the old Benny Hill sketches.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
In another demonstration of the twisted way in which the mind works I read this and the first thing I thought of wasn't serious or relevant...it was the old Benny Hill sketches.
I watched a soccer player fall down like he was KOed by Mike Tyson.

He was faking and the referee knew it and was yelling at him. So, his teams trainers ran out with a stretcher. All of a sudden the player jumped up and ran off. Hilarious.

I would challenge anyone who disagrees with this to watch the car chase in the movie, "Bullitt" and report back.

Ditto the arena scene in "Ben Hur".
Dude, fantastic movies are still being made today. Come on!!

Go watch ‘Parasite’.

Yeah, and movies aren‘t as good as they once were, and don’t even get me started on music. Get off my lawn.
Movies are only as good as the writing and acting is one of the most overrated talents of them all. Even very young kids can be taught to act.
As for music. It amazes me how a limited number of musical notes can lead to an unlimited number of great sounds over many centuries.

Soccer will take over.

Anyone can play soccer and all you need is shoes, shorts and a ball. Accidently bump into a soccer player and a team of medical professionals will rush out on the field to treat said player.
Soccer is boring.

Maybe if they institute a series of rule change to open the game and increase offense it could take over :D

Dude, fantastic movies are still being made today. Come on!!

Go watch ‘Parasite’.
Great film's being made, but even better has been the content on the "small screen"

Kids now don't understand what we had to go through. You turned on this TV and had a total of 3 things to choose from and you had to watch "what was on." Back in the 2000s I overheard a conversation with a kid asking how that worked... "you didn't pick the show you wanted?" Some older figure, prob. his dad, was trying to patiently explain that we thought it was a choice (out of 3 channels). And usually if one network found a show that worked, at least one of them would copy it. Bewitched and I dream of Jeannie for example.

NOW get off mah lawn!

TV as we knew it is now called "appointment television"

Great film's being made, but even better has been the content on the "small screen"

Kids now don't understand what we had to go through. You turned on this TV and had a total of 3 things to choose from and you had to watch "what was on." Back in the 2000s I overheard a conversation with a kid asking how that worked... "you didn't pick the show you wanted?" Some older figure, prob. his dad, was trying to patiently explain that we thought it was a choice (out of 3 channels). And usually if one network found a show that worked, at least one of them would copy it. Bewitched and I dream of Jeannie for example.

NOW get off mah lawn!

And OH YEAH... the "Big TV" in the living room was 36"

The important distinction here would be if those horseback riding injuries are chronic, debilitating issues, that end up with someone completing losing themselves due to brain trauma. Maybe in some cases there is repeated head trauma ... would be interesting if there are a handful of cases of CTE or similar from falls while riding.
I doubt it. Riders don't fall a lot, because when they do, it's often not good at all.

Football players, on the other hand, bangs heads on every play.

NOW get off mah lawn!

I mean, the fact that every comedy had a laugh track until 15 years ago is enough to convince me that TV is immeasurably better.

Looking at the current NFL, the number of teams have caused talent to be diluted, which may well make the NFL look less talented than it was. But I don't think that is the situation right now. I'm convinced that while athletic ability and training improved in the past 10 years which has caused more good players, we're seeing less great ones. One of the big counters I expect to hear will probably do with WR stat numbers, but I think that has more to do with the way the game is set up right now. I could make a long winded post with examples to back up why I feel this way, but I'd like to hear what other people's opinions are on this.

Overall I just don't feel that impressed with the young super stars in the league compared to years past.

Not sure this is true, but I’m happy if it is. I’d rather see great teams than great players. “Great” players in one of the reasons I don’t watch the NBA.

Basketball has been kinda wrecked by great players among other factors. To me, football is doing great in comparison. In support of the "everybody is better" argument, think about how routine one-handed catches seem to be now. I saw james conner (pretty average guy, right) grab one last week and it was like his 5th of the year. Which means people are tracking one-handed catches now.

Soccer is boring.

Maybe if they institute a series of rule change to open the game and increase offense it could take over :D
No more boring than baseball.

At least soccer has a game clock so you get some semblance when the game will end. The reason why soccer will be the # 1 is because from a young age kids are exposed to the sport in school. Approximately 10 years ago they built a 12 field soccer complex where I live thats jamb packed on weekends. Furthermore, fans would get behind a National team competing against other countries. Relative newcomer USA just beat Mexico 3 times in a row. Mexicos fans were incensed throwing beer bottles on the field.

The USA team just keeps getting better and has evolved into an opponent that shouldn't be overlooked. People still talk about the Olympic USA hockey team that defeated Russia.

I mean, the fact that every comedy had a laugh track until 15 years ago is enough to convince me that TV is immeasurably better.
In a departure from most TV shows of the time, The Honeymooners was filmed in front of a live audience and broadcast at a later date. ... In 1966, Gleason began creating hour-long Honeymooners episodes, which he aired in lieu of his usual variety format.THe laughter in this particular cut is actual audience response. It was hilarious then and it stands the test of time...

I read somewhere that they still use the same laugh tracks from the 50's.
If so, we are listening to dead people laughing.

I don't watch much TV shows, but I watched an episode of Big Band Theory (I think it was that), and couldn't believe they used "canned laughter".
It was so annoying.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back