PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Steve Belichick part of the problem on defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's drop the personal attacks and keep it to a football discussion please. I know everyone is feeling kinda heated after a close loss. But please respect your fellow fans even if they are 'wrong' according to your own perspective of what happened.
Well, I'm not heated after the close loss. I'm pretty heated about you accusing me of being heated, though. I'm not one of those people (we all know who they are).

(tic)

9 Superbowls with 6 rings: " it's the coaching " 9-13 last 2 years: "it's the players"

It's both in both cases. I don't think anyone didn't give Brady and other players credit for those Super Bowl appearances and wins. And I think even most Belichick defenders have questioned calls and moves this year.

Why would it be funny? Given that Kraft isn't going to try to make Belichick angry.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Belichick retires. Kraft will not be beholden to anyone at that point.

I don't want the next guy having Bill looming over him. I don't want Josh or Patrica to keep doing things Bill's way because we have seen a dozen coaches leave and do things Bill's way and fail miserably. I hope when Bill retires it is a clean break and there is no sort of advisor/front office role and we bring in a whole new coaching staff GM etc.

Retires?!?

How about When he's Fired if, by the end of next season, his team still isn't showing signs of being a legit contender?

I'm shocked at how many people agree here that McDaniels did a terrible job in 2008. Makes not want to even be anywhere near this board. I always expected it would get this bad when Brady left, but not this bad.

Who here is agreeing (except for one poster maybe) that McD did a poor job in 2008? It was his performance as OC in '08 that got him the Donkeys gig in the first place...

If you are going to go after McDaniels, then shouldnt you being going after belichick too? When the pats won Bill received praise, coordinators got jobs, when Brady left and the winning stopped, why are you pointing a finger at one coach?
Yep, if someone is not getting it done, it ultimately falls on Bill.

Retires?!?

How about When he's Fired if, by the end of next season, his team still isn't showing signs of being a legit contender?
As I’ve said in another thread, you’ve got to follow the money. Only Bob and Bill know when the contract runs out, but I can’t imagine Bob wanting to fork out $20M per year for every year left on Bill’s contract without him Coaching.

As I’ve said in another thread, you’ve got to follow the money. Only Bob and Bill know when the contract runs out, but I can’t imagine Bob wanting to fork out $20M per year for every year left on Bill’s contract without him Coaching.
maybe Kraft should just give him one year deals like Bill wanted to with Brady. Just kinda see how it goes every year until he falls off the cliff.

maybe Kraft should just give him one year deals like Bill wanted to with Brady. Just kinda see how it goes every year until he falls off the cliff.
I think Bill is gently starting to lose it. His gameplan and his teaching of the system are still good but his in game management have been subpar lately.
i wonder if Kraft will think about letting Bill go a year too early instead of a year too late.

I think Steve B has been awful this year. His play calling has been dreadful. Bill has to either take over as the play caller or has to fire his son. Will he do that? Of course not. The only reason Steve is in this position is because he is Bill’s son

The defense is fine and being supported by bad special teams and a bad offense. They've been the best unit on the team by any metric this year. 15th by EPA/Play, 10th in success rate, 11th by DVOA. This is what "solid, but nothing special" defense looks like in the NFL in 2021. They won 3 Super Bowls with defenses that weren't materially better than this in the last decade, and made another 2 with defenses that were immeasurably worse. Of course, you can say that we expected better before the season started with all the acquisitions and the return of guys like Hightower, but it is what it is. They are 9th in the league in points given up per drive. The offense? Same DVOA as Jacksonville. Hard to shut teams down like that.

Mac had not been given the opportunity to be a game breaker

I don't really know.
I do know that when he was hired, a thorough search for the best possible person to fill that position was not done. So it was a decision to weaken the team in order to please a member of management. For some reason, sports gets a pass on this behavior. In every other large business, it is acknowledged as a weakness.
In football it used to be called the good old boy network.
And the reason that sports gets a pass is because a coach doesn't have as much of an impact as a player.

Well it's time for Belichick to take over the defensive playcalling and put little Stevie at the 'kiddie table'. Let the grown ups call the plays. I know he's your son BB, but he's getting in the way of winning football games and looks clueless out there. I'm not even gonna get into his facial expressions.

efqezzhwaegntmuq_1633334486.jpeg

This is a professional NFL defensive coordinator? Really?! Nepotism has to have its limits. Demote the boy for his own good, he's not ready yet. Let little Stevie learn by watching and holding a clipboard. The experiment has to end now BB.

Well it's time for Belichick to take over the defensive playcalling and put little Stevie at the 'kiddie table'. Let the grown ups call the plays. I know he's your son BB, but he's getting in the way of winning football games and looks clueless out there. I'm not even gonna get into his facial expressions.

efqezzhwaegntmuq_1633334486.jpeg

This is a professional NFL defensive coordinator? Really?! Nepotism has to have its limits. Demote the boy for his own good, he's not ready yet. Let little Stevie learn by watching and holding a clipboard. The experiment has to end now BB.
He has been holding a clipboard...for quite some time now. Same thing with his brother.

He has been holding a clipboard...for quite some time now. Same thing with his brother.
If only he had LEARNED from it. He's obviously not ready to be the guy calling the plays yet. Limit him to the clipboard holding for at least another couple of years. He's not making the right calls to win games. Giving up 24 yards on 3rd and 25 is inexcusable among other bad game-losing play calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes