PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Steve Belichick part of the problem on defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here we come to the crux of it. I like the goat too. So why don't you admit the goat QB carried this fraud oc. this fraud oc has been terrible in 4 different seasons without Brady.

I am not a great fan of McDaniels, but I *****ed about this years ago when Brady was here, and was told Brady was going off the cliff. All of the sudden now he is to blame? I just dont get that. The only thing that changed is Brady is not hear to cover up mistakes, iffy players that were brought in and odd coaching decisions.

You say the Krafts are talking about whether Steve should cut his teeth elsewhere, but don't see how Jonathon was given a job by his Dad. This is not a conversation Jonathan should be a part of.

When Bill leaves, I hope the Krafts clean house and start over.
???

You really are comparing the two?

One is a business owner. I don't know what qualifications the son has. Maybe has a MBA. The way these things work, it's pretty easy to get a leg up in hat field if you're already rich. But it really helps if your Dad owns the business.

BUT--you're telling me these owners are going to give a pass to their employees hiring their relatives ? Because they have a family business? I mean, if anything it's the opposite. Jonathan sits in his bed at night thinking about how his "well earned" MBA entitles him to his position, whereas Belichick's son was elevated to that position with no background whatsoever.

We also missed the playoffs when Matt Cassell was starting. From 2003-2018, we won the AFC East every year except the 1 season Brady didn't start.
??????????

Is someone here arguing that Matt Cassel is as good as Brady?

Matt Cassel won 10 games with a mediocre chiefs team and made the playoffs. Winning the same amount of games with a team that went 16-0 is really not that amazing.
It really is amazing. Both years were amazing. In fact, winning anything with a QB as bad as Matt Cassel is really really amazing. Look at his career.

I'm shocked at how many people agree here that McDaniels did a terrible job in 2008. Makes not want to even be anywhere near this board. I always expected it would get this bad when Brady left, but not this bad.

I am not a great fan of McDaniels, but I *****ed about this years ago when Brady was here,

???? I've consistently posted about McD being subpar at oc and Brady carried him. Did you just wake up ??

It really is amazing. Both years were amazing. In fact, winning anything with a QB as bad as Matt Cassel is really really amazing. Look at his career.

I'm shocked at how many people agree here that McDaniels did a terrible job in 2008. Makes not want to even be anywhere near this board. I always expected it would get this bad when Brady left, but not this bad.

Yeah let's defend a guy who was pathetic in Denver'10, pathetic in St Louis'11, and now pathetic 2H'19, 2020, and 2021.

You're just a glutton for punishment

You say this trying to defend production that has a 2-4 record, gave up the most yards ever in a BB defense, ran for negative yards on offense which has only happened once in the last 50 years on the 2021 Pats offense and the worst Lions teams ever, went 0-4 at home for the first time since 1993...

... you're a crazy homer.

You say this trying to defend production that has a 2-4 record, gave up the most yards ever in a BB defense, ran for negative yards on offense which has only happened once in the last 50 years on the 2021 Pats offense and the worst Lions teams ever, went 0-4 at home for the first time since 1993...

... you're a crazy homer.

You have a whole thread devoted to McD. The number of disagreements are legion.

Yet here you are in a thread with your johnny-one-note tune.

The fact that you didn't know the Patriots were going backward after losing Brady is bizarre beyond belief.

What we're seeing is normal and I'm optimistic. Why? Because I was expecting this. Last year we had a QB that couldn't throw a football. This year we have a rookie. He is coming along FAST. I'm optimistic because I've seen this before. Been watching since the 1970s. And the fact that you believe the OC failed us in 2008 and 2020 is crazy to me given what he did with one QB that was a 3rd stringer at best, and what he did with a QB that couldn't throw. Last year's 7 wins were a miracle with a guy like that.

What we're seeing is normal and I'm optimistic. Why? Because I was expecting this. Last year we had a QB that couldn't throw a football. This year we have a rookie.

You are a homer who will rationalize any 2-4 team right now.

Mac has been throwing more interception worthy throws the last 3 games. As we approach the second half of the season it will be important to see if he can continue to progress against DCs that have 8+ games of film on him.

That's funny. The only homer pink hat fan I see is.... you. Sorry you can't handle any legit criticism of the Patriots right now.

I don't think you know what a pink hat fan is. Someone who lived through Plunkett, Fairbanks & the Sullivans, Erhardt, Ron Meyer, Toilet Bowls, Cocaine-a-Thon, Kitchen Knife gate, Lisa Olson, Tommy Hodson, Scott Secules, **** McPherson & Rod Rust, is the furthest thing from a pink hat fan, but you wouldn't know anything about that.

Get some perspective please.

Last edited:
Brady would have stayed if Belichick didn't have epic failures in the draft room 2016-2020, and make some terrible trades (Sanu for a 2nd)
He had one last chance to draft some WR talent in 2019 and failed miserably drafting one damn WR for a team in dire need of young talent at that position.

I think he’s definitely earned the job through hard work and experience and that bum Jerod Mayo has absolutely no business making the defensive calls. WTF would he know about playing defense in the NFL?

Is Steve Belichick a competent play caller/schemer as the defensive coordinator? Often we're seeing players not sure who to cover and my goodness they can not defend 3rd and longs to save their lives. They just CAN NOT make a play when the game is on the line...that 3rd and 25 in the 4th quarter was inexcusable. Those zero blitzes haven't hit home at all. It just seems his play calling leaves a lot to be desired....please chime in.

There is no doubt that coaching is a contributor to the malaise. It is fair to debate Bill and the coordinators lack of attention and ability, the problem seems to be at all levels. Position coaches are also an issue. OL is the biggest problem on the team, the players cannot block. The position degrades more each year without Scar. What happened to special teams? All the attrition has left the team with too many holes on the staff and a lack of people who truly understand the Patriots culture. To some extent the people who are left are new or not good enough to be poached by other teams. Couple the lack of coaching with the number of new players and you have an inconsistent team who is not mentally tough. This is not the recipe for quick success.

Let's drop the personal attacks and keep it to a football discussion please. I know everyone is feeling kinda heated after a close loss. But please respect your fellow fans even if they are 'wrong' according to your own perspective of what happened.

???? I've consistently posted about McD being subpar at oc and Brady carried him. Did you just wake up ??
If you are going to go after McDaniels, then shouldnt you being going after belichick too? When the pats won Bill received praise, coordinators got jobs, when Brady left and the winning stopped, why are you pointing a finger at one coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News