PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Steve Belichick part of the problem on defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill would have to demote his son...

Also, I expect Joe Judge to get fired and I'm sure he'll be brought back like a lot of ex-Patriots coaches.
Bill won’t fire Judge when he takes over as Head of Football operations for the Giants replacing Dave Gettleman next off-season.

Why is it, when the pats played great on D, Bill gets the glory, and when they dont, people go after a coordinator?
The ONLY good thing about the D is the specific-game strategy, week-to-week. That is Bill's contribution. Everything else, under Mayo and Steve, is a mess. They can't even consistently get the right players on the field.

OK. Give me ONE piece of actual evidence that Steve is up to the job.

I don't have any good evidence. They held the Bucs pretty good most of the game except [reasons] and then they held the Cowboys to only 10 points in the first half until the offense kept giving the ball back 5 times in a row and the defense got gassed.

The ONLY good thing about the D is the specific-game strategy, week-to-week. That is Bill's contribution. Everything else, under Mayo and Steve, is a mess. They can't even consistently get the right players on the field.
So all the good parts are belichick, all the bad parts is everyone else....got it.

I don't have any good evidence. They held the Bucs pretty good most of the game except [reasons] and then they held the Cowboys to only 10 points in the first half until the offense kept giving the ball back 5 times in a row and the defense got gassed.

They look sloppy. They look confused. They can't consistently get the right players on the field. The D looks far more complex than it needs to be, so that the coaches can't keep up in their adjustments and the players, lacking clear direction, are stuck overthinking. Their conditioning seems suspect. It's a badly-coached unit. All that's needed to completely sink it would be to give that blowhard Patricia a greater role, something I'm afraid we just might see at some point.

In general, I think this is the weakest coaching group the team has had in Bill's tenure.

So all the good parts are belichick, all the bad parts is everyone else....got it.
Of all the coaches who have a role with the defense, Bill is by far the best: exactly. And I see NO evidence any of the others even rise to the level of "competent." If you do, let's hear it.

Of all the coaches who have a role with the defense, Bill is by far the best: exactly. And I see NO evidence any of the others even rise to the level of "competent." If you do, let's hear it.
Bill runs the team. He hires the coaches, he hires the players. If there is an issue. Its on him. You cannot praise him when the defense is good and then blame someone else when its bad.

Comments:

a.) Steve is not the DC. He's the play caller....there's a difference. With the Patriots, BB has all play calling piped into his headset and he can interrupt and change things if he wants to. BB is the de facto DC. Period.Full.Stop.

b.) 82 defensive snaps. That will wear down any defense.

c.) Injured guys like Jon Jones, Hightower, Wino, Bethel, etc...came at inopportune times.

d.) Nepotism is a part of the NFL and always will be...I mean NFL coaches don't grow off trees...they are cultivated in-family. And before Steve was given the play calling duties...he did 9 years of work in Foxboro from being a defensive assistant, safeties coach, secondary coach, and now outside linebackers coach/play caller. He has paid his dues....not to mention that he also grew up with arguably the GREATEST DEFENSIVE MIND IN NFL HISTORY..... I mean my old man was a basketball coach...and semi-successful at the high school level...and it rubbed off me in a big way. Even today, I can talk basketball with anyone and I am one of the few people on planet earth that can explain to you the NBA's Byzantine illegal defense rules in the 1990's. I don't care where people come from as long as they can do the job and rose through the ranks the same as everyone else.

e.) This defense made Tom Brady super conservative 3 weeks ago.

f.) Kyle Shanahan took 6 years to rise to OC himself....and Sean McVay is only a year older than Steve B.

Why are we blaming the defense when the offense pretty much for nothing after the first two drives until the very end and couldn’t get it done when they had the ball in their hands in OT. I blame the offense and conservatives play calling more than the defense. Let’s be real, you can only blame the defense so much for struggling to cover one of the best teams in the league

They look sloppy. They look confused. They can't consistently get the right players on the field. The D looks far more complex than it needs to be, so that the coaches can't keep up in their adjustments and the players, lacking clear direction, are stuck overthinking. Their conditioning seems suspect. It's a badly-coached unit. All that's needed to completely sink it would be to give that blowhard Patricia a greater role, something I'm afraid we just might see at some point.

In general, I think this is the weakest coaching group the team has had in Bill's tenure.

They held the explosive Cowboy's #1 offense to 10 points in the first half. Had an interception and also a goal line stand. You don't place any blame on the bum offense that only had 50 total snaps because they kept going 3 and out ??? (btw not a knock at all on Mac, very high potential QB, more on the Oline and exposed oc). The Cowboys had 82 total snaps which would drain ANY defense.....

This picture speaks a thousand words. I totally agree he should cut his teeth elsewhere. You know the Krafts are talking about this.
That would be quite funny, given Bob handed his son a job.

Bill runs the team. He hires the coaches, he hires the players. If there is an issue. Its on him. You cannot praise him when the defense is good and then blame someone else when its bad.

This guy 1971 is absolutely clueless. BB is good but he's 70 years old and it's obvious the staff around him is sub-par. McD and Ziegler are in way over their head. They suck. Ziegler and McDaniels suck at their jobs.

This guy 1971 is absolutely clueless. BB is good but he's 70 years old and it's obvious the staff around him is sub-par. McD and Ziegler are in way over their head. They suck. Ziegler and McDaniels suck at their jobs.

He's cluless, I'll give you that

What the poster is saying is that it falls on Bill in the end. You think McD should be fired, but it only happens if Bill allows it. He hasn’t, so this is what we get.

The fact is the front seven were gassed and beaten up and they no longer could pressure Prescott like they were doing earlier in the game giving Prescott extra time to hold onto the ball.

They weren't really pressuring him earlier in the game either.

Not spending the money used to re-sign Dee Notso Wise (aka Chris Collinsworth's favorite Patsies' defensive player) on another DE with more pass-rushing juice has turned into yet another horrible, short-sighted personnel miscalulation by Billy & the New Minions.

Last edited:

He is in charge dummy. He makes the decisions on players and coaches there. If you are saying Bill is old and does not have it anymore, then there is your issue.

What the poster is saying is that it falls on Bill in the end. You think McD should be fired, but it only happens if Bill allows it. He hasn’t, so this is what we get.
yeah this, but the two dummy twins think coaches that have been here in superbowl years, all of the sudden suck and Bill who is praised for coaching does not get blame when coaching fails somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down