PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is our defense this good?

Heh, if you have a woman who lives with you, I wonder what she thinks when she sees you furiously typing on your phone all day? Does she ask you who you’re talking to?
I've wondered about this for the married guys/gals on here. How are they able to get away with it?
Or have you actually tell her that you spend entire summers white knighting for a football team and a 70 year old man who wouldn’t give you 5 seconds of his time?
This is what I don't get regarding many fans in general. They defend people that don't really give a sheet about them.

I've wondered about this for the married guys/gals on here. How are they able to get away with it?

This is what I don't get regarding many fans in general. They defend people that don't really give a sheet about them.
Wozzy’s wife: “Who are you talking to?”

Wozzy: “All3Phases said Malcolm Butler was great in 2016 and I’m arguing with him that Butler was merely good.”

Wozzy’s wife: “I knew you were the man of my dreams.”

Linebackers dont determine your coverage
A full one third of your defensive capability doesn't factor into the coverage type? Why not just rush seven every time then if they're irrelevant to coverage???

Let this season get here quickly... I have Kontra giving me dating advice.

A full one third of your defensive capability doesn't factor into the coverage type? Why not just rush seven every time then if they're irrelevant to coverage???
How come they played man more than anybody in the league last year through 7 games? Then switched to a zone heavy scheme from week 8 on? Was it an overhaul at linebacker?

They played man more than anybody over the last decade, would you consider them being fast at LB side line to sideline over the decade?

He doesn't know wtf he's talking about, we'll probably carry more safeties than any other position group and most of them will play LB... but yeah.

He doesn't know wtf he's talking about, we'll probably carry more safeties than any other position group and most of them will play LB... but yeah.
I must’ve pulled you back in again! Glad I made a lasting impression on you!

Last edited:
Let this season get here quickly... I have Kontra giving me dating advice.
Ah, so you’re single. That’s tough. Oh well. There’s someone out there for everyone. Back to the topic at hand - were you able to locate that post where I called BB a fool and claimed he stumbled into success? Of course you didn’t. And you won’t. Because such a post doesn’t exist. Glad we could get to the bottom of that.

Your LBs don’t dictate what coverage you’re going to be in. Offensive personnel dictates the opposing defensive personnel, which will then dictate coverage. You’re not going to line up in dime or quarters when the opposing O is in 22 or 23 personnel, for example.

When I watch our offensive line, I have flashbacks to the awful offensive lines of the early 90’s and I think this year’s offensive line plays to their name……… “offensive!”

Jones needs to secure as much accidental death and dismemberment insurance as humanly possible!!!!!!

41 - check
42 - check
45 - possible, but packers were a machine in that postseason
46 - meh
52 - check

Agree about 45… We barely beat GB during the regular season, at home, and without Rodgers… We still should’ve been the AFC rep that year, imo;

46 is a check for me however… the New Jersey Vagiants should not even have made the POs in the first place.

Your LBs don’t dictate what coverage you’re going to be in.
It appears we're using two different aspects of the word "coverage" - player type vs. man/zone. I don't disagree that the offensive personnel grouping changes the "who" the defense plays on any given play/series, but the skills of the defensive players (or lack thereof) absolutely is a major factor in the "how" (man, zone, or combo) of coverage type. Myriad other factors - down, distance, offensive "who", score, location on the field - all of those things are data points from which decisions must be made.

It appears we're using two different aspects of the word "coverage" - player type vs. man/zone. I don't disagree that the offensive personnel grouping changes the "who" the defense plays on any given play/series, but the skills of the defensive players (or lack thereof) absolutely is a major factor in the "how" (man, zone, or combo) of coverage type. Myriad other factors - down, distance, offensive "who", score, location on the field - all of those things are data points from which decisions must be made.
Again, why did they go from man to zone last year with the same LB unit? Aside from the offensive personnel and packages the offense dictates the defense puts out…there’s a reason one scheme is a strength and one isn’t on passing downs. Man was a strength with Gilmore, JC, JJ, Chung, etc. Revis, browner, Arrington, McCourty. Had nothing to do with Hightower, Van Noy and elandon roberts being good man players.

It appears we're using two different aspects of the word "coverage" - player type vs. man/zone. I don't disagree that the offensive personnel grouping changes the "who" the defense plays on any given play/series,

You do? Even if that were remotely disputable, and it’s not, there’s one very famous example in Patriots lore from the last decade which proves that statement wrong.

but the skills of the defensive players (or lack thereof) absolutely is a major factor in the "how" (man, zone, or combo) of coverage type. Myriad other factors - down, distance, offensive "who", score, location on the field - all of those things are data points from which decisions must be made.

Nobody will argue that, but that depends upon the secondary. Not the LBs. For example, the safety and corner positions in 2011 were trash. The team employed a ton of Cover-2 Zone, Cover-3, and Cover-4 in obvious passing situations. In 2012, after the Talib addition, the team was playing mostly Cover-2 with the corners in press man, but the LBs were still in zone. As a matter of fact, unless you’re talking about pure Cover-0 or Cover-1, the LBs are in zone the majority of the time in passing situations.

Nah, I think it’s one of those things that should be repeated, over and over, ideally with the Pats hearing it until they get really sick of hearing it.

Two games, they gave up 80 points, over 900 yards, and didn’t force a punt. Two games. That is epically bad and it can’t be spun by being “banged up” or having somebody out.

These aren't high school kids. They aren't motivated cheap embarrassment about a game that happened months ago.
Plus, using negative reinforcement to motivate human beings is one of the dumbest traditions we've ever created. The net effect is negative. That's been proven over and over and over again. Even the military has figured this out.
And, every year, it is a new team. The comings and goings of new players and coaches change the chemistry and climate significantly.

You do? Even if that were remotely disputable, and it’s not, there’s one very famous example in Patriots lore from the last decade which proves that statement wrong.

Nobody will argue that, but that depends upon the secondary. Not the LBs. For example, the safety and corner positions in 2011 were trash. The team employed a ton of Cover-2 Zone, Cover-3, and Cover-4 in obvious passing situations. In 2012, after the Talib addition, the team was playing mostly Cover-2 with the corners in press man, but the LBs were still in zone. As a matter of fact, unless you’re talking about pure Cover-0 or Cover-1, the LBs are in zone the majority of the time in passing situations.
Adding onto that, the Patriots played more Cover 0 than anybody in 18/19. With all those slow linebackers on the roster that everybody wanted to get rid of

Adding onto that, the Patriots played more Cover 0 than anybody in 18/19. With all those slow linebackers on the roster that everybody wanted to get rid of
Oh you mean when the LB's were 4 years younger? When in the NFL people age in dog years. Jesus, each year is different, players fall off a cliff pretty fast, we've seen that again and again. Let's argue about our LB's that were still in their prime but on the backend of it 4 years ago, vs. last year when they couldn't cover **** over the middle. JJones gave them a chance to play man. Once he went down and there was no one else that could keep up with them. They had to switch to zone. If they had a faster linebacker core that could have kept up at all in coverage, they could have continued to play man. I don't know why this is so hard, and why you have enough time to argue every point to death with literally everyone on the board. Are you retired? On disability, or do you just live in your parent's basement?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back