PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Bruschi a Pro Football Hall of Famer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it's possible that I'm forgetting someone, this is the list of Brady era Patriots who are not yet in the HOF, but should eventually be there. Off season, cup of coffee, types were ignored in compiling this list.

Brady
Vinatieri
Seymour
Law
Harrison
Gronk
Welker
Revis

• Wilfork might have an argument, but I'd need to really look into it.
  • Gost's career is not finished, but he's a kicker, so that makes his inclusion almost impossible, historically speaking.

Last edited:
While it's possible that I'm forgetting someone, this is the list of Brady era Patriots who are not yet in the HOF, but should eventually be there. Off season, cup of coffee, types were ignored in compiling this list.

Brady
Vinatieri
Seymour
Law
Harrison
Gronk
Welker
Moss
Revis

• Gost's career is not finished, but he's a kicker, so that makes his inclusion almost impossible, historically speaking.
I’d assume Revis will likely be first ballot, as for Harrison I don’t think it will happen if he’s not getting any closer through the selection process.

His numbers stack up well with Champ Bailey who may go in first ballot this year.

Bailey played 50 more games, was an All-Pro three times, and has twice as many tackles. The only place they're comparable is interceptions and Bailey had fewer interceptions simply because teams threw at him less. Like Revis and Samuel played a comparable number of games but Samuel had over 20 more picks. Nobody would ever say Samuel was better.

Brady
Vinatieri
Seymour
Law
Harrison
Gronk
Welker
Moss
Revis

Moss is already enshrined, he was voted in last year. I have a hard time thinking of Revis as a Patriot but he'll get in first ballot. If John Lynch and Atwater get in, Harrison should, but he's likely to be waiting a long time.

Moss is already enshrined, he was voted in last year.

Yeah, I saw his name and just put it in reflexively. I almost mistakenly put Seau's on the list, too. Thanks for the reminder. I'll go back and make the edit.

I have a hard time thinking of Revis as a Patriot but he'll get in first ballot. If John Lynch and Atwater get in, Harrison should, but he's likely to be waiting a long time.

It's a shame, but resentments and cliques seem to cause problems with getting the right people into the various HOFs (Harold Baines? Really?).

Bailey played 50 more games, was an All-Pro three times, and has twice as many tackles. The only place they're comparable is interceptions and Bailey had fewer interceptions simply because teams threw at him less. Like Revis and Samuel played a comparable number of games but Samuel had over 20 more picks. Nobody would ever say Samuel was better.
I wouldn’t ever claim he was better than Champ Bailey but his stats, aside from tackles, are similar.

Champ INT: 52, TD: 4, FF: 7, TKL: 812, Rings: 0

Asante INT: 51, TD: 6, FF: 7, TKL: 393, Rings: 2

I wouldn’t ever claim he was better than Champ Bailey but his stats, aside from tackles, are similar.

Champ INT: 52, TD: 4, FF: 7, TKL: 812, Rings: 0

Asante INT: 51, TD: 6, FF: 7, TKL: 393, Rings: 2

Terrell Buckley had 50 career interceptions. It's impressive but it's not really indicative of a Hall of Fame career for a defensive back.

Bruschi is my all time favorite Patriot but he will never be in the HOF, and doesn't really deserve to be.

Last edited:
Terrell Buckley had 50 career interceptions. It's impressive but it's not really indicative of a Hall of Fame career for a defensive back.
Good point. I doubt Asante ever gets in but I didn’t think Warner, Terrell Davis, Bettis, or a lot of the Steelers for that matter that got in should be in.

I was told by a voting member, to get in, you need 7 pro bowls. Im sure there is some wiggle room in that number but it seems about right. Bruschi has 1.

Last edited:
It's a shame, but resentments and cliques seem to cause problems with getting the right people into the various HOFs (Harold Baines? Really?).

I'm still flabbergasted at Jerome Bettis. He shouldn't be a Hall of Famer, let alone have gotten in first ballot.

I don't know what's going on with Rodney. I'm not sure if the resentment is real or imagined. He's a media member now and seems well respected, and that's who votes on those things. We may also overrate him a bit. He was good with the Chargers but he wasn't a transcendent superstar. He was in that group of top mid-90s safeties with guys like Lawyer Milloy, Eric Turner (until he died), Steve Atwater, Carnell Lake, Merton Hanks, LeRoy Butler, and Darren Woodson. He also sort of faded as John Lynch emerged in the Tampa-2 after Lynch had a rather undistinguished start to his career.

He obviously re-emerged with the Patriots for a handful of years though in that era he was still in that group of safeties like Lynch, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, and Bob Sanders who were all a step below the unparalleled heights of Ed Reed, who should be counted among the handful of the greatest defensive players in NFL history. His defining trait among that group is probably his ring with the Patriots, but working against him is his (only somewhat undeserved) dirty reputation and the helmet catch. Even Lynch and Atwater seem unlikely to be enshrined any time soon, and Woodson, Butler, et al aren't even considerations. Polamalu might make it but I suspect that has more to do with him being iconic in looks than anything. (And being a Steeler doesn't hurt, though I think the voters will be kind to Patriots too.)

I don't know, I kind of understand the Rodney snub, even though he was obviously a fantastic player for us.

I'm still flabbergasted at Jerome Bettis. He shouldn't be a Hall of Famer, let alone have gotten in first ballot.

I don't know what's going on with Rodney. I'm not sure if the resentment is real or imagined. He's a media member now and seems well respected, and that's who votes on those things. We may also overrate him a bit. He was good with the Chargers but he wasn't a transcendent superstar. He was in that group of top mid-90s safeties with guys like Lawyer Milloy, Eric Turner (until he died), Steve Atwater, Carnell Lake, Merton Hanks, LeRoy Butler, and Darren Woodson. He also sort of faded as John Lynch emerged in the Tampa-2 after Lynch had a rather undistinguished start to his career.

He obviously re-emerged with the Patriots for a handful of years though in that era he was still in that group of safeties like Lynch, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, and Bob Sanders who were all a step below the unparalleled heights of Ed Reed, who should be counted among the handful of the greatest defensive players in NFL history. His defining trait among that group is probably his ring with the Patriots, but working against him is his (only somewhat undeserved) dirty reputation and the helmet catch. Even Lynch and Atwater seem unlikely to be enshrined any time soon, and Woodson, Butler, et al aren't even considerations. Polamalu might make it but I suspect that has more to do with him being iconic in looks than anything. (And being a Steeler doesn't hurt, though I think the voters will be kind to Patriots too.)

I don't know, I kind of understand the Rodney snub, even though he was obviously a fantastic player for us.

I don't think you can make an argument for Kurt Warner and then leave out Rodney Harrison, with regards to the mid-career dip.

I agree with 'no' but who cares ? For US he is MORE then that and we know it...

He gave ALL he had...all...and FOR US he is one of the best

Yes...another hall...hall of heart as mentioned

GRANDE TEDY # 54

He’s a Patriots Hsll of Famer already, but doubtful that he’ll get into Canton.

Definitely worthy of the Patriots HoF, but not the NFL Hall imo

Bruschi is my all time favorite player because he embodied the Patriots Way. That said, no way is he worthy of the Hall. The Hall is for best of a generation type of player. That isn't Bruschi. I don't even put him in the top 5 in his generation at LB.

While Teddy Bruschi was a very good player and had arguably the best name in Boston sports, he's not a Hall of Famer.

He did get a late start due to him playing behind Ted Johnson, who was always in the conversation as one of the best MLB's in the game until injuries took over and Ray Lewis emerged.....and killed a guy...or two. When the Pats were finally able to switch to a 3-4, Bruschi and Johnson were a great inside combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back