PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Billy Volek that much of a downgrade for the Chargers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rivers or Volek.. Ultimately, it will make little difference.. Maybe one TD less for Rivers in the final score (when I say one TD less.. I'm referring to our lead over them)

Last edited:
im trying to figure out where ur coming from....but everything points to SD, LOL which makes ur statement incredibly understandable
While QBR isn't the measuring stick, over the last 5 games Rivers QBR is 108.1 and Brady's is 108. Not saying Rivers is the better QB. At this moment that would be a tough argument to make.

The point I'm making is this. There's no question both teams are playing well right now. I know most pats fans want to ignore how well the Chargers played last season and point directly to week 2 this season. It's certainly understandable.

But to ignore the issues the Bolts went thru during the off season and ignore what the Bolts have come through to get to this point, I think, is pure folly. This is not the week 2 team and it's damn sure not the week 2 NE team. Key pieces on both teams have changed and/or been upgraded. In the Bolts case at QB, maybe even downgraded as I write this.

Understand that this is ostensibly, the same Bolts team that lost last post season. Safe to say nobody has forgotten anything.

I think Billy is just as good or more capable than say a Trent Dilfer,Damon Huard or a Kurt Warner at this point - all of these QBs were starters recently who have been starters before and bench warmers in between.

Warner, Dilfer and Huard have all had lots of experience.
What experience has Volek had?
If you look at his stats he hasn't done much.
Hasn't played a full 60 minute NFL game for a long time.
Yet he is to some how compete in the biggest game
of the year? That is a hollywood script. IMO

One thing that is important to note is the fact that Belichick will not have nearly as much film to study Volek as he does Rivers. In the past, Belichick usually does a great job of confusing QBs by understanding their weaknesses. By not having as much info on Volek, that is an advantage for SD in its own right.

.....over the last 5 games Rivers QBR is 108.1 and Brady's is 108. Not saying Rivers is the better QB. At this moment that would be a tough argument to make. ......

Tough argument? Absurd argument. IMO.

First, what's this last 5 games nonsense?
You mean the games they kept him throwing 25 or less passes so he
wouldn't make mistakes?
Try the whole year .. the good games and the bad games.

One thing that is important to note is the fact that Belichick will not have nearly as much film to study Volek as he does Rivers. In the past, Belichick usually does a great job of confusing QBs by understanding their weaknesses. By not having as much info on Volek, that is an advantage for SD in its own right.

He does have some 8 games of old film back when he was with the Titans.
I think he could get that film and see if he is still does the same things
from the limited film he has of him with SD.

Tough argument? Absurd argument. IMO.

First, what's this last 5 games nonsense?
You mean the games they kept him throwing 25 or less passes so he
wouldn't make mistakes?
Try the whole year .. the good games and the bad games.[/]
Dude? We have no coaching turnover it's a whole different story. SD might have HFA. Think about it.

I'm just saying PR's bad games were when the team was struggling to get on the same page. Except the 1st TN game. Lil regression there but he was still a stud when it counted. No excuses but when you go through what the Chargers did you invariably have to work through issues. As it stands SD has not worked through all of them yet.

Dudes, we're bringing it regardless of who is ready to play and it could not be more fitting. Either way, one team or the other will more than likely make history. :eat3:

I don't think so,Billy has been a career backup but had some decent play especially in 2003 when he threw for about 20 TDs and 8 of those in 2 games back to back.

I keep reading of how slim the Chargers chances are with Volek starting but after checking out his stats when he was the starting QB is really not so bad.

In fact it may be an UPGRADE over an erratic and over emotional Phillip Rivers who I think may not see action at least most of the first half.

I think Volek starting is nearly a certainty at this time barring any major medical discovery which would heal not 1 but both of Rivers knees.

I think it all depends upon how the Chargers players view him...i.e. are they confident in him. I'm sure that drive against the Colts convinced most of the non-believers. but still, I have to believe he not as good as a 100% healthy Rivers...otherwise he'd be playing.

heh...yeah...great stat...last five games...right...well try to take a look at the weather each QB played in...see any constant 40 mph winds games in freezing snow,sleet and rain for your worldkiller?

Didn't think so

oh BTW...let's play "Let's Compare The Last Game!" and see what we come up with....go ahead, genius, I'll let YOU bring up the stats....

Dude? We have no coaching turnover it's a whole different story. SD might have HFA. Think about it.

I'm just saying PR's bad games were when the team was struggling to get on the same page. Except the 1st TN game. Lil regression there but he was still a stud when it counted. No excuses but when you go through what the Chargers did you invariably have to work through issues. As it stands SD has not worked through all of them yet.

Dudes, we're bringing it regardless of who is ready to play and it could not be more fitting. Either way, one team or the other will more than likely make history. :eat3:

This is what it's all about....THE BIG GAME! This is where players & coaches make history or wilt under the pressure. It is also where great quarterbacks lead their team to victory. Every now & then a less than great QB will be on the winning team and it could happen this week. But the Brady edge is huge in this game.

To even ask the question is absurd. Rivers is very good and for the a significantly large part of his career has been a very good qb with championship qualities.
That's due to the number of Championships he's won?
The Chargers should never have let Brees go. Would have won a Super Bowl last year.

While QBR isn't the measuring stick, over the last 5 games Rivers QBR is 108.1 and Brady's is 108. Not saying Rivers is the better QB. At this moment that would be a tough argument to make.
Tom Brady's QBR this season was 117.8. 2nd all-time.

Tom Brady's QBR this season was 117.8. 2nd all-time.
Ya, we know this. You wanna tell me about his 50 TD's and Moss' 23 TD catches next?

That wasn't the point. As a fan, I hope it comes down to who wants it more and who gets it. Win or lose.

It seems clear the Bolts must bring big game to have a shot. If they do, I think it's more than likely the game will go down to the wire. Which is a credit to NE.
I'm familiar with NE's playoff record at home. Plus NE is 17-0 at home right now. :D

Think about it this way. Nothing lasts forever.

Ya, we know this. You wanna tell me about his 50 TD's and Moss' 23 TD catches next?

That wasn't the point. As a fan, I hope it comes down to who wants it more and who gets it. Win or lose.

It seems clear the Bolts must bring big game to have a shot. If they do, I think it's more than likely the game will go down to the wire. Which is a credit to NE.
I'm familiar with NE's playoff record at home. Plus NE is 17-0 at home right now. :D

Think about it this way. Nothing lasts forever.
There's no need to be a jerk. You brought up Quarterback Rating in an attempt to say Rivers is as good or better than Brady. That's your right, but don't expect not to be called out on it.

Like your sig gif by the way.

To even ask the question is absurd. Rivers is very good and for the a significantly large part of his career has been a very good qb with championship qualities.

Say what?

Being a whining baby is championship qualities?

Let's go with natural talent. Actually, wasted natural talent lately.

Isn't he a backup for a reason?

How his stats were obtained needs to be looked at.
How many tough defenses has he faced in a playoff situation?
The only advantage he may have is BB hasn't much film on him.
You wouldn't call him battle tested would you?

*cough* Tom Brady fourth string.

Not saying it's comparable, but was Brady fourth string for a reason?

If you haven't seen him it's just speculation.

Throw in Earl Morral and Jeff Hostetler for good measure.

Last edited:
There's no need to be a jerk. You brought up Quarterback Rating in an attempt to say Rivers is as good or better than Brady.

No he didn't. His point was that Rivers has played very well down the stretch and in the playoffs this season. There's no arguing that. And yes, Rivers is a much better QB than Volek.

Now let's take a break for a message from our sponsor...Jokerimbecile

Last edited:
yeah...look Moronvara...we already KNOW all this...we get the SD updates nonstop from you every day of the season....here, chew on THIS for a little bit...38-14...then get back to us with all your excuses and "this time it'll be different!!!" claptrap you're so famous for.

yeah...look Moronvara...we already KNOW all this...we get the SD updates nonstop from you every day of the season....here, chew on THIS for a little bit...38-14...then get back to us with all your excuses and "this time it'll be different!!!" claptrap you're so famous for.

Wow, you've really had your panties in a knot all week. So angry and volatile when your team is in such a good position. It's odd. Calm down. Take a sedative. Get some outside interests other than football and maybe get a girlfriend or something. Football is a game meant for amusement. It's not real life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back