PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Intriguing commentary on Patriots new offensive scheme

Not a bad analysis although he lost me at the end criticizing Mac’s long ball. Yeah, he had some misses last season (as all QBs do, long passes are lower percentage plays), but I’d argue that’s a relative strength of Mac’s game.

At a higher level, I agree with his premise that the offensive changes are geared to suit Mac’s skill set. Spread the field, play in space, let him ad lib and gunsling a bit more.

Brady is a highly technical, precise, regimented player, who throws to spots. Mac is more of a freelancer, plays with feel and intuition, can create a bit more. Brady is a guy you can put in the rigid EHP and get the best from him. Mac needs a different style; he shouldn’t be doing many 7-8 step drops from condensed 21/22 personnel looks. He’ll still do plenty of deep drops, but not with a FB and two TEs packed in like sardines around him. To phrase it another way, Mac is not a guy who thrives playing in a phonebooth, whereas Brady was (and that's not in any way a knock on Mac; different players, different syles).

Last edited:
Macs long passes are wind up rainbows.

That's the whole issue. If he does not overthrow, the pass drops in to where the DB has a grab at it too. The Buffalo post season end zone INT is a perfect illustration. The Bills Safety had time to get in the play because the ball was not out in front of the NE WR. You need to see laser long passes where the DB has no time to react. Throws that do not need elevation because they have the velocity behind them to reach the target.

Were not looking for hang time.

The guy narrating this video is spot on. If the NE offense does not master the deep ball them defenses will choke off the short pass game. They will do what BB has done defensively all his life. Bend and dont Break where you extend drives waiting for a mistake to happen.

Pats shoulda kept a FB/3rd-TE.

Pretty good breakdown. Now to wait and see how it all plays out starting Sunday

It is fun for us all to play GM, HC or Coordinator for a day
I know my limitations and could not coach any position in Pop Warner football
I will give our coaching staff the benefit of the doubt and a few games to adjust and hope they have played their cards right
I feel we will be OK this year but think next year is when this whole rebuild shows it’s fruits of labor. It will be Mac’s second year under this new system and we have a good amount of cap space to strengthen the voids

Macs long passes are wind up rainbows.

That's the whole issue. If he does not overthrow, the pass drops in to where the DB has a grab at it too. The Buffalo post season end zone INT is a perfect illustration. The Bills Safety had time to get in the play because the ball was not out in front of the NE WR. You need to see laser long passes where the DB has no time to react. Throws that do not need elevation because they have the velocity behind them to reach the target.

Were not looking for hang time.

The guy narrating this video is spot on. If the NE offense does not master the deep ball them defenses will choke off the short pass game. They will do what BB has done defensively all his life. Bend and dont Break where you extend drives waiting for a mistake to happen.
This fan base has been *****ing about the deep ball for 20+ years here.

That is NOT the offense. The offense is short/medium, high % passing.

The formula is simple. Protect. Run good routes. Get the ball out quickly. Make the throws.

Keene was just picked up by the Eagles so both he and Asiasi are now on practice squads
Asiasi is even on a 53 right now, but to me that's just Cincy making a bad decision.

Asiasi is even on a 53 right now, but to me that's just Cincy making a bad decision.

I'm not betting on him, but I think sometimes we overestimate how many third TE's on rosters are actually good.

The formula is simple. Protect. Run good routes. Get the ball out quickly. Make the throws.
Exactly - a deep shot here and there is fine but a boom or bust offense has never been what this team is built around. Take 15 yards and under, play strong defense and captialize on the opponents mistakes - that's what this team does and will likely continue to do.

I'm not betting on him, but I think sometimes we overestimate how many third TE's on rosters are actually good.
We do not need a 3rd TE. If HH or Jonnu go down we sign someone off the couch to be TE2 and use an OL for blocking.

Were not looking for hang They will do what BB has done defensively all his life. Bend and dont Break where you extend drives waiting for a mistake to happen.
"Bend but don't break" is not an accurate description of Belichicks defenses here.
Never has been.
He has pretty much only employed that when the opponent is on their own side of the 50. Which makes sense since the offense has much more field to work with and a big play is more of a threat. His D then is designed to stop the big play.
But once the opponent crosses the 50 Belichicks D's have always gotten more aggressive. And once they reach the 30,his D's get super-aggressive.
All of which makes sense since the field is now compressed taking away the big play.
This is a well-known fact by anyone who really understands how the Patriots have played defense since 2000. There have been plenty of in-depth analyses backed up by stats and film done by several football writers over the years. It also matches up with what my own eyes have seen just watching games.
Anyone who call Belichick's D's "bend but don't break" is just outing themselves as someone who doesn't know what they're talking about

"Bend but don't break" is not an accurate description of Belichicks defenses here.
Never has been.
He has pretty much only employed that when the opponent is on their own side of the 50. Which makes sense since the offense has much more field to work with and a big play is more of a threat. His D then is designed to stop the big play.
But once the opponent crosses the 50 Belichicks D's have always gotten more aggressive. And once they reach the 30,his D's get super-aggressive.
All of which makes sense since the field is now compressed taking away the big play.
This is a well-known fact by anyone who really understands how the Patriots have played defense since 2000. There have been plenty of in-depth analyses backed up by stats and film done by several football writers over the years. It also matches up with what my own eyes have seen just watching games.
Anyone who call Belichick's D's "bend but don't break" is just outing themselves as someone who doesn't know what they're talking about
Bend but don’t break is not a philosophy, it’s a result.

Defenses that are aggressive give up big plays. The break rather than bend.
Meaning they will go all out to stifle every play at the expense of giving up big ones when they don’t. Defenses that prioritize limiting big plays bend, meaning they will sacrifice all out on a play in order to not allow the big play.
Both defenses intend to stop the other offense. A good aggressive defense gets away with their aggression and allows more, but not too many big plays.
A good conservative defense allows more but not too many first downs.

Bend but don’t break refers to a defense that isn’t great at executing in - territory and into +territory but us very good on their side of the field. That defense neither doesn’t care about stopping teams in their - territory, not becomes better on their side of the field because if it.
It’s not a plan, it’s a result.

Brady took his shots deep.

Brady threw into fierce wind. The game vs Indy where Manning struggled and lost. In other words Brady is no noodle arm.
Dinking and dunking will get you so far. It worked great in the Spread, but everyone has figured out how to defend that scheme.
Have a legit threat throwing deep to keep 9 in the box from smothering your offense.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back