PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Intricate OL play on Lewis run in Bills game

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Q4, about 4:55, Patriots on Bills 19, 2d and 2. Handoff to Lewis who runs left for about 16 yards.

When I first saw this it merged in my mind with all the other Lewis runs in that game. Then I saw a tweet somewhere - I don't know where - highlighting it.

It's a really interesting play because of the complexity and variety of the blocking scheme. First the right guard throws a cut block, then right tackle throws one. Allen does some complex moving block. Solder and Thuney cross. Develin does some great blocks. I've watched this in slo mo on the all-22 about 15 times and don't claim to understand it all, but I think it highlights the complexity and the intricacy of the OL run blocking. People are flying sideways, diving to the ground, exchanging places, switching blockers, doing running blocks, all on one play.

I just don't see other teams with kind of complexity so well synchronized. (C.f. my other recent Dion Lewis post Dion Lewis weaving his route against the Raiders for another intricate play featuring him).

I have a few stills below but to appreciate it you need a slomo video. Maybe someone can make one?

lewis buffalo play part 0.png
lewis buffalo play part 1.png
lewis buffalo play part 2.png
lewis buffalo play part 3.png
lewis buffalo play part 4.png

Last edited:
That’s old fashioned I formation, power football with the LT downblocking on the strong side because there’s a double TE set. Good kick out blocking by Mason, Allen, Gronk(?) and Develin at the numbers created a lane. DL scoots through that lane because the weak side pursuit (92, Washington, we’re looking at you!) was late and he’s damn quick at finding the hole. Notice how all the backers are blocked and Poyer gets caught in the trash. Pretty play!

That’s old fashioned I formation, power football with the LT downblocking on the strong side because there’s a double TE set. Good kick out blocking by Mason, Allen, Gronk(?) and Develin at the numbers created a lane. DL scoots through that lane because the weak side pursuit (92, Washington, we’re looking at you!) was late and he’s damn quick at finding the hole. Notice how all the backers are blocked and Poyer gets caught in the trash. Pretty play!

- Thuney Pulls to his left. Normally we see guards pull across the formation, but he still has 3 guys he goes by in Solder, Gronk and Allen.
- Gronk ALSO pulls. This puts Allen on #55 (Jerry Hughes).
- Solder is then responsible for #95 (Kyle Williams) , who almost gets to Brady before the handoff.
- Gronk blocks #52 who attempted to get in behind #55.
- Develin
- Mason attempts to cut block Washington (#92).
- Andrews cut blocks #57.
- Fleming wiffs on taking Michah Hyde (#23) and falls over Andrews
- Thuney engages the LB attempting to set the edge in #58
-Allen absolutely controls Hughes and ends up driving him into #58, who is engaged with Thuney..
- Develin drives out and attempts to pick up #21..

It worked. But I don't think that Dante is going to be pleased with Andrews and Mason on their cut-block efforts or with Fleming's attempt to block Micah Hyde..

@TomPatriot @DaBruinz Very helpful analyses, thanks. Quick question: why was the play designed for the RG and RT to cut block rather than ordinary block?

Thanks KD.

I was just asking Ken in his recap thread if he could do something like this because I remembered someone on Planet doing this and I don’t go to PP anymore. I also remembered seeing your thread title and looked for it hoping I’d get schooled. Nice breakdown.

How much work is this? Can you bring more with videos and “telestrater” like that PP thread used to? It seems like you’re knowledgeable enough. Might take a lot of time though.

Is this the play where he stopped for a second or two and read the field?

@TomPatriot @DaBruinz Very helpful analyses, thanks. Quick question: why was the play designed for the RG and RT to cut block rather than ordinary block?

You'd have to ask Dante Scarnecchia that question. Ken might be able to speculate from his days as a coach, but only Dante could say specifically..

I think it is because it is really hard to get in front of the guy (Washington - 92) playing in the gap between the center and right guard (A gap). So the only real alternative to cutting him is to push him toward the hole.

Thanks KD.

I was just asking Ken in his recap thread if he could do something like this because I remembered someone on Planet doing this and I don’t go to PP anymore. I also remembered seeing your thread title and looked for it hoping I’d get schooled. Nice breakdown.

How much work is this? Can you bring more with videos and “telestrater” like that PP thread used to? It seems like you’re knowledgeable enough. Might take a lot of time though.
There are structural reasons that it's difficult to maintain football strategy or analysis threads. They tend to leave the front page and aren't heard from again for one thing.

Last edited:
There are structural reasons that it's difficult to maintain football strategy or analysis threads. They tend to leave the front page and aren't heard from again for one thing.
What about sticky or pinning?

It’s unfortunate that a good share of space is occupied by the gossip girls on here who sop up media speculation like a sponge.. :rolleyes:

The Cat gets a little help from his friends

Enough with the cat.

Thanks KD.

ok I love this scheme, EXCEPT I would rarely ask a blocker to block someone without an angle (delaware wing T concepts). so in this case, I wouldn't ask the G to reach block the DT in the GC gap. Instead I would have the C (who has a great angle) to block the DT and have the G "fold around that block" to take the ILB filling that gap. That is a tough block, but not as tough as the reach block they are asking him to do. At that level of play, a reach block SHOULD be beaten by the DT most of the time. So I would have ever asked a player to attempt it.

The play itself looks like it was originally designed to hit outside the wing. It's typical delaware wing T concept, 2 down blocks with a kick out by the FB (again, everyone has an angle) with the RB reading his FB's block. If he kicks his guy out the RB hits right off is ass. If the LB closes the FB hooks him and the RB bounces outside.

In this case #52 gets to deep into the backfield and Lewis cuts up inside taking advantage of the muddle at the point of attack, and the great blocks by Andrews and Mason (I think). IF 52 had flattened a bit instead of getting too much penetration, he would have been in position to make that play. Nice cut and read by Lewis here.

Again I personally think that it would have been easier if they had Andrews block the DT in the gap and had Mason fold around. Better angles for both guys. BTW- that kind of fold block was VERY common in teams running a read triple option like Georgia Tech runs, so I would think that Mason would be very good at it.

Next time I sit down with Dante, we'll have to discuss this. ;)

Last edited:
ok I love this scheme, EXCEPT I would rarely ask a blocker to block someone without an angle (delaware wing T concepts). so in this case, I wouldn't ask the G to reach block the DT in the GC gap. Instead I would have the C (who has a great angle) to block the DT and have the G "fold around that block" to take the ILB filling that gap. That is a tough block, but not as tough as the reach block they are asking him to do. At that level of play, a reach block SHOULD be beaten by the DT most of the time. So I would have ever asked a player to attempt it.

The play itself looks like it was originally designed to hit outside the wing. It's typical delaware wing T concept, 2 down blocks with a kick out by the FB, with the RB reading his FB's block. If he kicks his guy out the RB hits right off is ass. If the LB closes the FB hooks him and the RB bounces outside.

In this case #52 gets to deep into the backfield and Lewis cuts up inside taking advantage of the muddle at the point of attack, and the great blocks by Andrews and Mason (I think).

Again I personally think that it would have been easier if they had Andrews block the DT in the gap and had Mason fold around. Better angles for both guys. BTW- that kind of fold block was VERY common in teams running a read triple option like Georgia Tech runs, so I would think that Mason would be very good at it.

I’m not stalking you I just happen to be on now. I’m going to see if I can see better from my iPad vs my iPhone.

Pick your spots

Agreed. Pick your spots.
screenshot_2.jpg

The play itself looks like it was originally designed to hit outside the wing. It's typical delaware wing T concept, 2 down blocks with a kick out by the FB (again, everyone has an angle) with the RB reading his FB's block. If he kicks his guy out the RB hits right off is ass. If the LB closes the FB hooks him and the RB bounces outside.

In this case #52 gets to deep into the backfield and Lewis cuts up inside taking advantage of the muddle at the point of attack, and the great blocks by Andrews and Mason (I think). IF 52 had flattened a bit instead of getting too much penetration, he would have been in position to make that play. Nice cut and read by Lewis here.

Would be awesome but I didn’t have any visuals. Not even sure if it was left or right.

From the eagle eye here it seems obvious they’re loading up. Do or can they do anything to disguise the scheme? Do they need to if they’re so heavy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back