PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting stat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for giving an important example (among many) of how the apologists' focus on PPG overlooks how the things NE does well masks the team's defensive deficiencies. In this case, a combination of a good offense (even when it doesn't score it generally succeeds in "flipping" the field) and good kick coverage helps hide defensive flaws by forcing opponents to have to go on longer drives to score.
Apologists?
You have this backwards.
Points allowed is a tangible RESULT that determines wins and losses.
Tearing apart statistics that make up the result to act as if it means something else is the apologist mentality.

Example
A) we allowed 28 points the defense played poorly
B) but 3rd down conversions were good they had a lot of pressure they pass the eye test field position was the 30 instead of the 26 etc etc so the defense played well

Who is the apologist?

the bottom line as you go around hitting dislike on 1000 posts is that I am concerned with results and you are trying to find a statistic that says the result should have been different

Next time a team loses because they scored more points but Dvoa says hey were worse I'll agree with your stat based scoreboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres 2 separate issues here: 1. how the D has performed so far this year and 2. how we think theyll fare thru the rest of the season/postseason. For #1-the only way you can be subjective is look at results. and the results are 8-2, #3 in pts allowed. Since none of us are experts and BB is-Ill defer to his rating of a defense-which he has stated many many times is points allowed. As i said before, the one disclaimer i agree with you on is the weak schedule. There is no such thing as the eye test, as we both know. Thats something people who dont undrstand the intricacies of football throw out to cover up their ignorance. I know you know better. As for #2-i agree with you much more than i disagree. Yes, I dont think BB is content with where the D is and neither am i.Im most worried about the depth-the only D unit with any depth is the secondary. God help the Pats if Hightower goes down. But theres lots of good news-among the serious SB contenders-the only one that has 2 strong units-O and D-is seattle. and neither of those units is overwhelming. Dallas and Pittsburgh both have weaker D's than NE and once NE is fully healthy-i think NE also will have a stronger O than both. Denvers D has nor been measurably better so far than NE's-but Ill concede that they have a bettter D than NE. But their offense doesnt scare anybody. There are some ways the D can improve-the biggest is for Sheard to step up. As nink gets healthier and flowers contiues to blossom-that should help sheard not have to carry the whole load. If that happens, the pass rush should improve-Offenses will have to account for more than just Hightower rushing inside. Obviusly a better pass rush helps the secondary. Remains to be seen if sheard's play gets better.
WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

Apologists?
You have this backwards.
Points allowed is a tangible RESULT that determines wins and losses.
Tearing apart statistics that make up the result to act as if it means something else is the apologist mentality.

I'll have to agree with DI for once. You're too smart to be this stupid.

Yes, PA is "a tangible RESULT that determines wins and losses".

However, PA is not solely determined by the defensive squad. It's also determined in part by what offense and ST do and by the quality of the opponents. Your refusal to acknowledge any of that and instead mindlessly bleat "PPG! PPG! PPG!" is ridiculous.

I'll have to agree with DI for once. You're too smart to be this stupid.

Yes, PA is "a tangible RESULT that determines wins and losses".

However, PA is not solely determined by the defensive squad. It's also determined in part by what offense and ST do and by the quality of the opponents. Your refusal to acknowledge any of that and instead mindlessly bleat "PPG! PPG! PPG!" is ridiculous.
The job of the defense is to prevent points. (And force turnovers)
Yes, if they takeover at the -5 that matters. But that isn't the case.
Would you rather they allowed more? Are you saying its bad that the o and sts are good?

with Brady at QB, if they opposing team is going to score, it would be better if they scored quickly.

Well, I think it's an insightful, relatively concise analysis.

OK, fine, I might have sped read through a lot of it.

Happy?

The job of the defense is to prevent points. (And force turnovers)
Yes, if they takeover at the -5 that matters. But that isn't the case.
Would you rather they allowed more? Are you saying its bad that the o and sts are good?
We've got a big game tomorrow and I agree with you; it seems to me that folks don't like your tone or something, I don't know.

I would like to see us create some more turnovers, to get in the habit of it...the threat of them really increases the pressure on an opponent, and they are just so important in a one-and-done post season.

How are we doing so far in that department these first ten games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back