PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimnance

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw a stat I didnt know: Pats are the best in yards after the catch on both offense and defense.
Defensively, theyre allowing 4 yds after the catch-best in the nfl.
Offensively, theyre getting 7.1 yac, also #1.
Last time I checked,(although been a few weeks), their D also was leading the nfl in fewest big plays. majority of big plays in the nfl are not "long bombs", but are big because they get big yac. When you are playing with a lead, your D's main objective is to stop big plays and scores-or if you allow scores, make them work for it and use up clock. Yes, every D in the nfl plays that way,including Denver, Seattle,et al.
No matter how you spin it-the Pats' Offensive and Defensive yac stats are a good thing.

On D this possibly results from the scheme with McCourty assigned to playing deep center field and making it in time to assist the SB or whomever got beat for the catch.

On offense perhaps Brady is hitting guys in stride vs missing somewhat and making them dive for the ball on the average, not that placing the ball only where the receiver can get it even if it means low or diving long is the only way to beat a close coverage. Again, on average.

On D this possibly results from the scheme with McCourty assigned to playing deep center field and making it in time to assist the SB or whomever got beat for the catch.

On offense perhaps Brady is hitting guys in stride vs missing somewhat and making them dive for the ball on the average, not that placing the ball only where the receiver can get it even if it means low or diving long is the only way to beat a close coverage. Again, on average.
BB uses DMC to prevent big plays-which he does. He could have more ints and breakups if he gambled more- but would also give up a lot more TDs and big plays, since no matter who you are- if you gamble a lot you'll get burned. People who ***** about dmac don't understand his job. He does it. As for TB- nobody leads their recs better to a.put them in position for yac and b. have them avoid big hits.

Just saw a stat I didnt know: Pats are the best in yards after the catch on both offense and defense.
Last time I checked,(although been a few weeks), their D also was leading the nfl in fewest big plays. majority of big plays in the nfl are not "long bombs", but are big because they get big yac. When you are playing with a lead, your D's main objective is to stop big plays and scores-or if you allow scores, make them work for it and use up clock. Yes, every D in the nfl plays that way,including Denver, Seattle,et al.
No matter how you spin it-the Pats' Offensive and Defensive yac stats are a good thing.

On offense perhaps Brady is hitting guys in stride vs missing somewhat and making them dive for the ball...

Definitely agree that Brady should get some credit for the YAC numbers. Obviously the elusiveness of Edelman, White and Lewis, along with the hugeness of Gronk and Bennett are big factors in YAC. But Brady's accuracy and experience help out too

This is no coincidence....that's the Patriots philosophy, one that many pundits don't understand.

Team YAC stats are useless without context.

I want to be a wise ass and write:

"Isn't effective tackling after allowing a wide open reception similar to putting on a condom after getting busy?"

But that is not my nature

BB uses DMC to prevent big plays-which he does. He could have more ints and breakups if he gambled more- but would also give up a lot more TDs and big plays, since no matter who you are- if you gamble a lot you'll get burned. People who ***** about dmac don't understand his job. He does it. As for TB- nobody leads their recs better to a.put them in position for yac and b. have them avoid big hits.

Even then he'll still make a gamble that he's 100% sure on such as his interception on Flacco in the 2014 playoffs. McCourty remembered the ratbirds used that play(going the opposite way) on them earlier in the game and McCourty moved before Flacco even threw the ball, beat the receiver running the route and intercepted it.

Really interesting post, I certainly wouldn't have guessed it from watching the games.

another stat takeaway =/- pats 14/15 =12 15/16 =7 16/17 =1 and Collins had 2 of 5 int.Wrong direction.

Patriots on defense are 2nd to Denver in Team YAC Allowed/Game with Denver giving up 85.6 YAC per game to the Patriots 94.1.

Patriots are number 1 in Team Yards After Catch. The 7.1 YAC results in 1569 total YAC on 221 receptions. It's interesting to note that second place goes to the Saints and that on 298 receptions they have 1508 YAC. an average of 5.06 YAC.

Just some follow up stats, showing why the context matters:

The Patriots defense is #1 in opponent starting position

Yet

The Patriots defense is #25 in opponent scoring percentage

and

While the Patriots defense is #2 in points allowed, and is #1 in YAC,
The Patriots defense is only (relative to being #2 total) #9 in points allowed per drive

Why?

The Patriots defense is #31 in opponent turnover percentage
The Patriots defense is #27 in interceptions
The Patriots defense is #20 in 3rd down percentage
The Patriots defense is #13 in Net yards per pass attempt
The Patriots defense is #14 in defensive passer rating
The Patriots defense is #14 in defensive completion percentage
The Patriots defense is #18 in number of 20yds+ plays allowed
The Patriots defense is #18 in defensive TOP

Last edited:
another stat takeaway =/- pats 14/15 =12 15/16 =7 16/17 =1 and Collins had 2 of 5 int.Wrong direction.
No offense, but I have no idea what you just wrote.

It looks like it could be interesting information though.

Can you clear it up, make it legible and try it again please?

But negative pass rush stats without context are perfectly valid. :rolleyes:

You seem to have missed the fact of me using those other defensive stats to try and offer some context to the single stat put forth by the O.P., despite my having plainly written

Just some follow up stats, showing why the context matters

I'll assume that was just you not having recovered from Thanksgiving frivolities.

Yeah but the OP has made a point in a way. Over in that stat.

You seem to have missed the fact of me using those other defensive stats to try and offer some context to the single stat put forth by the O.P..

I'll assume that was just you not having recovered from Thanksgiving frivolities.
No, you posted the additional stats while I was writing my post.

They certainly aren't what anyone would like, but like the the positive ones, too much validity is given to them by people with that point of view.

So in the end only thing I can safely predict is that the Pats will beat the Jets and nothing they accomplish will satisfy the mediots.

To paraphrase Rex Ryan, who called the Jags the best 2 win team in NFL history, in the eyes of most media observers, and altogether too many Pats fans here, the Pats must be the WORST 2 loss team.

BTW- reality usually lies between the 2 extremes......and yes I am still feeling the effects of over eating. ;)

No, you posted the additional stats while I was writing my post.

My post was already up, with both positive and negative stats already among the stats I'd posted. I just continued to flesh out the point.

They certainly aren't what anyone would like, but like the the positive ones, too much validity is given to them by people with that point of view.

In sports, as in many areas of life, almost all stats need context, whether the person using them is framing them as positives, negatives or neutrals. My pointing that out should have been completely non-controversial. It certainly shouldn't have led to people foolishly clicking the disagree button, nor should it have led to you posting the response you initially did.

So in the end only thing I can safely predict is that the Pats will beat the Jets and nothing they accomplish will satisfy the mediots.

It should come as no surprise, if you look at the team's schedule. The only tests on the schedule were supposed to be:

Arizona (season long flame out)
Bengals (season long flame out)
Pittsburgh (Big Ben missing)
Seattle (Loss at home)
Ravens (sorta, kinda, maybe, but not yet)
Broncos (not yet)

So, the only real test of the Patriots ended with a home loss. The mediots won't be satisfied at least until/unless the Patriots handily defeat the Broncos, and they shouldn't be. None of us should be satisfied until at least then, either.

To paraphrase Rex Ryan, who called the Jags the best 2 win team in NFL history, in the eyes of most media observers, and altogether too many Pats fans here, the Pats must be the WORST 2 loss team.

This team is trending a lot like other teams we've seen with Brady being weighed down by a middling/bad defense. It should be no surprise, therefore, if people are concerned that this team might end up like other teams we've seen with Brady being weighed down by a middling/bad defense.

BTW- reality usually lies between the 2 extremes......and yes I am still feeling the effects of over eating. ;)

God bless, and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back