PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

This is one of the most common things coaches say to QBs running it. Be smart.

Be smart on 1st and 2nd down. If it’s 3rd down in crunch time and you’re a runner, you need to get that 1st down. But I can tell you already know this and you’re arguing just for the sake of arguing.

You act like this is unusual. It's not.

Yes it is. Quick list of names of other QBs who have slid before the marker late in game on 3rd down recently? Hell, go back 10 years if you want. Name one.

Announcers mention it all the time. What's shocking here is that you never heard of this.

Mention what? That it’s smart to slide before the marker on 3rd down and bring up 4th down? Which announcers have said this?

Be smart on 1st and 2nd down. If it’s 3rd down in crunch time and you’re a runner, you need to get that 1st down. But I can tell you already know this and you’re arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Yes it is. Quick list of names of other QBs who have slid before the marker late in game on 3rd down recently? Hell, go back 10 years if you want. Name one.

Mention what? That it’s smart to slide before the marker on 3rd down and bring up 4th down? Which announcers have said this?
It's funny, the idea that you're not arguing in good faith is what crossed my mind during this conversation. More than once. Whatever. This is useless.

It's funny, the idea that you're not arguing in good faith is what crossed my mind during this conversation. More than once. Whatever. This is useless.
Yeah, that’s it. I’m “not arguing in good faith.”
You’re just getting cornered by superior logic. Come on. 10 seasons. Name one time, other than the two times Mac did it, that another QB slid before the first down marker on 3rd down late in the game. You have about 5,440 regular season games to choose from. Give me just one other example.

Yeah, that’s it. I’m “not arguing in good faith.”
You’re just getting cornered by superior logic. Come on. 10 seasons. Name one time, other than the two times Mac did it, that another QB slid before the first down marker on 3rd down late in the game. You have about 5,440 regular season games to choose from. Give me just one other example.
Dude, this is what you accused me of. Jeebus.

I'd be happy if the Pats never draft a WR above the 4th round again. It's a guaranteed waste of a pick. Don't know who instigated this curse on us regarding WR's, but it's real. Let's just roll the dice with later round flyers and keep spending money on FA's.
Remarkable that the only WR in the last 24 years drafted above the 7th round that lasted more than 3 years is Deion Branch.
The ones that have been good from 7th round - UDFA are Givens, Edelman, Meyers.
Eternally befuddling!

Have patriots / Bill Belichick lost his fast- ball on offense ?

Just observing the offense over 4 years , looks like we seem to have mismanaged drafts , coaches , playcalling and free agency.

Brady , Gronk, Edelman and white were the core which acted as a glue to keep offense intact with Scar doing his part to keep offensive line one of the league best and Josh making sure we were competitive and Brady doing the rest .

But now over last 4 year's if we obserce there are so many whiffs with the only constant being Belichick which makes me question whether Bill as a HC can really handle how offense needs to be run . I am not talking about playcalling , but the operational aspects of what is needed to get the offense running.

FA whiffs

1. Letting thuney leave for nothing -
  2. Getting paltry return for Shaq Mason - Mason wasn't all that great this year.
  3. Getting peanuts for Garopollo - the 2nd round pick was the highest offered. No one offered a first, contrary to the mediots.
  4. Getting robbed in Sanu trade
  5. Getting fleeced again by Agholor - SMH
  6. Allowing Jonnu to continue to con and commit day light robbery - More ridiculousness from you. Clearly you don't know anything about the Sal Cap or the fact that Patricia screwed over BOTH TEs last season
  7. Signing Wynn for 5th year option - What would you have done?
  8. Letting Brady leave with no compensation. - They'd not have gotten any compensation for Brady regardless. No one was going to trade for him in 2019.

Operational decisions

1. Wasting a season with Cam despite the fact that he was washed and not really going with stidham which would have achieved same objective with Cam. <--- Stidham was a rookie. Talk about re-writing history
  2. Killing team with Patricia and Judge hire <---- How as BB to know that Judge would become an egomaniac and have to be removed as the QB coach?
  3. Not having backup for Scar <----- He did. Name is Cole Popovich. Blame the league for their ridiculous stance on the Vaccines saying that it was mandatory for coaches. OH. The league waited until the end of TC to make the announcement that UnVaxxed Coaches wouldn't be allowed.
  4. Not providing clarity on Caley <------- How do you know he didn't provide clarity to Caley? Caley is the only one who had any right to ask for "clarity". YOU certainly don't have any.
  5. Not firing Achord
  6. Not open to new ideas from people outside of bills circle of trust . <---- Yet he was open to implementing Shanahan style offense. Clearly you don't understand how this works.
  7. Killing QB Confidence by benching Mac in game midway. <---- Never happened
  8. No plan to replace Josh when we knew he would be leaving and not even interviewing others. <---- Unfounded opinion. You have zero idea what the continuity plan was. For all we know, Josh made the decision to leave a year earlier than promised. Or, the guy they had in mind, got hired somewhere else.

Drafts on offense

1. Isaiah Wynn- BUST <---- No. He wasn't a bust. He just didn't live up to your ridiculous espectations.
  2. Sony michel - he is a JAG now looking at the way he is been bouncing off. With that OLine any RB would have had the success Michel had. <----- Rewriting History, I see.
  3. Nkeal Harry - the biggest culprit in a loaded WR class <----- Everyone gave the Pats KUDOS for the pick at the time.
  4. Asiasi
  5. Dalton Keene
  6. Thornton - looks like a whiff compared to other receivers drafted this year . <---- Proof you don't watch the games
  7. Strange - has potential but is playing at levels of 3rd rounder. <---- More proof you don't watch the games.
Now chiefs have 7 pro bowlers despite always being in championship game or divisional game in last 4 years and they seem to be hitting their drafts really well . They even got a decent haul for Tyreek . Whilst patriots are yet to develop any game changing talent on offense .

Looking at all these factors in Unison, makes me question whether does Bill as of today at 70+ years really have a grip on how offense needs to be run because all around i just see failure. So in a offense led league we need to hope that BoB hasn't lost the fastball else we would need to start our rebuild afresh without Bill because the detriment to offense could be Bill himself .

You've clearly gone to the Capt Stone School of Talent Non-evaluation. Please stop because your takes are so ridiculous biased and hindsight that they're worthless.

WTF is it with people and the infatuation with the F'in Pro Bowl. It's a damn popularity contest and has been that way for 2 decades. It's a nothing "honor". It's not even a GAME anymore. They've changed it to a skills competition.

You're 20/20 Hindsight crap is laughable. Seriously.

You've clearly gone to the Capt Stone School of Talent Non-evaluation. Please stop because your takes are so ridiculous biased and hindsight that they're worthless.

WTF is it with people and the infatuation with the F'in Pro Bowl. It's a damn popularity contest and has been that way for 2 decades. It's a nothing "honor". It's not even a GAME anymore. They've changed it to a skills competition.

If it doesn't mean anything then why do players get incentives in their contracts for making it?

Yeah you are the in house expert who's got to have a pathetic ugh blind homerism take. Take a hike bud...keep your opinions to yourself...

1. Wasting a season with Cam despite the fact that he was washed and not really going with stidham which would have achieved same objective with Cam. <--- Stidham was a rookie. Talk about re-writing history

1. Letting thuney leave for nothing -
  2. Getting paltry return for Shaq Mason - Mason wasn't all that great this year.

1. Stidham was a rookie in 2019. Toofy makes a valid point. Stidham was highly thought of, got injured in preseason, and then when recovered got to watch an extremely ineffective throwing Cam Newton in 2020.
Why wasn’t he brought in? A boneheaded Belichick decision, that’s what.

You’re right about the play of Shaq Mason. His play went down after he signed his $30 million contract—money we should have set aside to pay and keep Thuney at the more valuable LG.

You and I, DaBruinz, are in complete agreement over the Cole Popovich dismissal. He has done very well at Troy and some day will get another shot at the NFL.

Okay, first off i don't agree with all your assessments that they were bad decisions.
You're correct, they weren't bad, they were a disaster.
Secondly, do this with every team and let me know how many teams have made mistakes in any of the areas you are focusing on.
Nobody cares about other teams, but if we did it would be worse, because there's at least a dozen teams that have their **** together better than ours.

However, it seems as if BB is learning a new reality and let's give him another season or two to adjust to all the changes that have ravaged the stability he had built all these years.
You can give him 10 more seasons, it's not getting any better w/ Bill as HC. He can't motivate players like he used to when he had the leaders you mentioned. Unless you find a way to make Bill 55 years old again, it ain't happening.
I do think the direction they are heading in is fine
What have you seen the last 3 seasons to make you believe we're headed in the right direction, not counting hope?

and with a solid off-season and a bit of improvement with the current roster (another year in the system for those players, weigh training, etc.) I am quite excited to see BB lead us deep into the playoffs within the next two years
What you're excited about is exactly what you were excited about a year ago and what'd that get you? Bill is not leading this team deep into the playoffs in the next 2 seasons.
and shortly thereafter hand the team off to his hand-picked replacement.
What makes you believe the Krafts need or want Bill's hand picked replacement? We need to run away as far as we can from Bill's outdated model. It no longer works. The sooner we realize that, the sooner the team can advance.

Rumors are that there was a lot of players volunteered to speak for Karen Guregian's article.
He lost the locker room. This began last season. No surprise there. It's only going to get worse. These players are different. They're not buying into Bill's ********.

Please note this is not belittling belichicks success in the past , just that the recent history suggests that perhaps offense is no longer his forte and if he cedes control of it to professionals in that area on both draft and operations we could potentially see an improvement. Bob coming back is a welcome change . Just don't want us to revert back to older bad habits in drafts and possibly bill gives more freedom to Groh and Bob on that front .
What makes you think that offense was ever Bill's forte?

Thanks for adding absolutely nothing to the conversatuon. Good job, you made the Pro bowl.

He lost the locker room. This began last season. No surprise there. It's only going to get worse. These players are different. They're not buying into Bill's ********.
That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised if Bill clean houses on offense and get rid of some players he feels are problematic. Mac being one of them.

I still can’t put my head around why Bill, with all the dysfunction that was going around, never really endorse Mac as the starter despite all the occasion he had this year.

We hear all the article about Mac being exited about BOB that I think it would so Bill to trade him.

If it doesn't mean anything then why do players get incentives in their contracts for making it?
“Your take is complete BS. It’s worthless. Honestly, it’s laughable.”

I still can’t put my head around why Bill, with all the dysfunction that was going around, never really endorse Mac as the starter despite all the occasion he had this year.

He’s doing the same type of thing he did with Brady, not giving him credit or approval to get more out of him.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back