PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

This may be the most "Dysfunctional". However, 2015 was the most dissapointing coaching job. That was maybe one of the best Patriots teams in many years. The Super Bowl was lined up.

Broncos (Part 1), Jets, Eagles, and Dolphins games stuck out. All very avoidable losses with suspect coaching in each. Had they just won one of those games, that AFC title game is in NE. Where crowd noise is no longer a factor. Nothing is ever a guarantee in life. However, they beat Denver at home and kill Carolina imo. Playing in Denver in that title game really was difference maker.

Regardless, watching the Patriots this year was like watching the Patriots vs other opponents for most of the BB-TB era. Everything they did so well was now so bad.

Can't imagine the Patriots will be down for long. Now with a great OC, and the personnel changes Bill will make. If Mac isn't the guy, Bill will find the guy. Great organizations do not just turn bad overnight. This was maybe a fluke.

After reading what it said about that first Buffalo game I’m surprised Patricia wasn’t fired after the game. I’ve never heard of a NFL coach scared of another team like that. Remarkable,
Patricia always coaches scared. Even during the high point of his career, as Pats DC, he coached soft, conservative, back peddling, not to lose style.

Last edited:
This might explain why Bourne wasn’t getting the reps he should have gotten. Bourne played in Shanahan’s system, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he was the one challenging Patricia on what to do when defenses adjusted during meetings. And neither Patricia or Judge can handle being challenged by players.

The weird thing is that their coaching style is how they interpret BB's coaching style since that's who they learned under for the longest period of time.
It seems all the coaches from BB's tree fall into the trap of emulating his disciplinarian methods and fail to recognize how he treats the players with respect and takes input from them when things are not going well.

This may be the most "Dysfunctional". However, 2015 was the most dissapointing coaching job. That was maybe one of the best Patriots teams in many years. The Super Bowl was lined up.

Broncos (Part 1), Jets, Eagles, and Dolphins games stuck out. All very avoidable losses with suspect coaching in each. Had they just won one of those games, that AFC title game is in NE. Where crowd noise is no longer a factor. Nothing is ever a guarantee in life. However, they beat Denver at home and kill Carolina imo. Playing in Denver in that title game really was difference maker.

Regardless, watching the Patriots this year was like watching the Patriots vs other opponents for most of the BB-TB era. Everything they did so well was now so bad.

Can't imagine the Patriots will be down for long. Now with a great OC, and the personnel changes Bill will make. If Mac isn't the guy, Bill will find the guy. Great organizations do not just turn bad overnight. This was maybe a fluke.
Yes there were some ridiculous coaching decisions - notably the Stephen Jackson game in Miami the last game of the year against a FIVE WIN Miami club - but by the time they got to the AFC Title game they were riddled with injuries. Once they lost Dion Lewis the offense diminished and then they lost Brandon LaFell. It was so bad that KeShawn Martin played 70% of the snaps at WR.

It seems all the coaches from BB's tree fall into the trap of emulating his disciplinarian methods and fail to recognize how he treats the players with respect and takes input from them when things are not going well.
They make the mistake of thinking they inherit BB's gravitas when they step away from him. Having reflected authority while working under BB doesn't mean you get to take that authority to a new position. You have to build your own with your relationships to the players and your own performance in your job.

What a crap job... Bill was lucky on offense to have weiss, McDaniels and BoB along with scar . Now with them gone and his propensity to stick on to people that he knew, 2022 was such a bad @&#&#&-#- .

Hopefully with Bob at least we get back to a functional offense . Poor Mac getting steamrolled by fans and media when there was a planned inside hit job to make him fail . Thankfully Kraft family stepped up and got BoB.

Now thinking out loud, was the plan to get Mayo back also aimed at clipping Bills power and setting timeline for Bill to step away . Maybe both Mayo and Bob are in contention for HC after 2 years . My guess is Kraft has paid both Mayo and BoB handsomely with opportunity to HC in 2 years timeline .

I don't know how anyone is willing to give up on Mac with all this evidence that the coaching stuff was a complete **** show.

Anybody who follows this team closely clearly knew by midseason that Patricia/Judge was a fiasco. Granted, Mac's acting out was ill-advised but his frustration is easily understood. Still, we have people here who ignorantly blame the quarterback for the offense's shortcomings.

On a side note, Andrew Callahan has really been terrific. Not sure how many of you follow/watch the press conferences (I try and watch them at night when I get home), but he's one of the few who isn't afraid to ask tough questions without it being a self-serving situation, and his writing is pretty direct and informative. I've also always liked Karen Guregian, who has consistently been a great read over the years. However, considering how many people they've lost in recent years, Callahan has just been great since joining the Herald. He also does a good job with his podcast, which is another good one to check out.

If this is even 50% true, what a clown show.
The Kraft family must be having some difficult conversations.
Clearly, to reset the culture, Judge and Patricia have to go. They've blown their credibility with the players, and anyone who supports keeping them in the coaching room and on the field in any capacity will love equal credibility.
There's still a lot of offensive coaching slots to fill before this thing is settled.
At least it sounds like Jones performed well when the offense was given even a smidgeon of scheme and play calling diversity.
I’d gladly keep Judge as the STC. Patricia’s obese ass can hit the bricks, though. One of the worst personnel decisions BB ever made was trying to ram that square peg through a round hole. Either that, or he let Patricia try to do it. Whichever of the two happened, Fatt needs to go.

That's a great article.

It's too easy, during the period from around now through draft, free agency, trades and so on to get ahead of yourself in the optimism department. You forget that all the others teams are also working away at making themselves better. Nevertheless, in part because I really do think Bill's. Matt's, and Joe's performance this past year was d----d near unforgiveably awful, I think there is reason for legit optimism re the team next year. The coaching/leadership really was that bad (as all of us "trolls" said all along). I don't think it's pollyannaish (wd?) to expect the coaching next year to be VASTLY better. I think it's reasonable to expect that Mac will resume his growrth as an NFL quarterback. I think the receiver room has more potential than it might seem, since they too were held back this past year by the dismal coaching they got. The defense is at least "sound," and probably better than that. Our AFC East rival seem to be little on the slip. And so on.

So, even though I may generally be a dark-minded old s.o.b., I'm actually thinking we're not in bad shape.

Last year was a nearly complete waste of time. So let's just fuggedabouditt.

I don't know how anyone is willing to give up on Mac with all this evidence that the coaching stuff was a complete **** show.
I’m not. It was clear he was the best QB, but he had to deal with a leaky OL in pass pro, two TEs who didn’t earn their salaries this past season, the inexcusable benching of his best WR, and Patricia. It’s a minor miracle he wasn’t one of the worst QBs in the NFL with all of that going on. He can compete with Zappe for the job in camp

The idea that Bill hired coaches with no offensive experience to not just coach the offense but implement a new offensive scheme with be verbiage is insane. How did Bill think this would work?

I appreciate that people in this thread are holding Belichick accountable without including the two arguments I find most annoying.
1. This team would have won with Zappe
2. That Bill doesn’t deserve any credit because he had Tom Brady.

Bill was bad this year that’s obvious. I just hate how that conversation usually devolves into Brady vs Belichick and the idea that Bill isn’t a good coach.

injuries, a botched coaching job in the final two regular season games, and Stork cost them an easy ring

The idea that Bill hired coaches with no offensive experience to not just coach the offense but implement a new offensive scheme with be verbiage is insane. How did Bill think this would work?

I appreciate that people in this thread are holding Belichick accountable without including the two arguments I find most annoying.
1. This team would have won with Zappe
2. That Bill doesn’t deserve any credit because he had Tom Brady.

Bill was bad this year that’s obvious. I just hate how that conversation usually devolves into Brady vs Belichick and the idea that Bill isn’t a good coach.
I agree, but why say it out loud? LOL
images

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes