PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If You Called a Run On First Down, You're Screwed

It doesn't take into account situation, yardage line, etc so is an example of how stats can be misused.

It's based on EPV, another horse dung stat championed by the worldwide leader in sports horse dung and the article is from the leaders in abusing horse dung stats. Now there's a helluva combo...if you're making fertilizer

Last edited:
Well, so far this hold true for the Colts' effort today.

It doesn't take into account situation, yardage line, etc so is an example of how stats can be misused.

Actually that is exactly what it takes into account, it just doesn't take the opposing D's strengths & weaknesses into account, rendering it useless

Tl;dr version: Throwing is more effective on 1st/2nd downs and running is more effective on 3rd down.

My take: No ****, Sherlock.....

Tl;dr version: Throwing is more effective on 1st/2nd downs and running is more effective on 3rd down.

My take: No ****, Sherlock.....
And yet coaches don’t do that.

And yet coaches don’t do that.

I don't advocate doing it as a primary means to move the chains. I advocate playing conservatively and mixing it in unpredictably. It primarily works because it is unpredictable, IMO. Nothing scientific about my opinion though.

Absolutely. It also doesn't take into account any number of other contextual items that would potentially make a huge difference in the outcome. That's one of the reasons 538 is basically useless.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back