PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Wolf picks Daniels and he busts, then JJ becomes a star…

If Wolf picks McCarthy, and he turns out to be Mac Jones, then Wolf gets fired?
Probably, but if Daniels turns out to be Justin Fields it might stave off his execution.

A crapshoot implies no skill is required. Why have a GM, then? Why not choose with a random number generator? I think it’s more like Texas Hold’em. You need both luck and skill to win, because much of the information to make perfect decisions based on the state of play is hidden.
LOL. Riiight. So it would be one factor, among many, in his evaluation. That said, your "Why not choose with a random number generator" is at least as silly as any implication that such decisions are entirely a crap shoot. This is one of those (dumb) questions where the proper answer to the the question is a simple clarification of the assumptions underlying the question, sort of like two guys on opposite sides of a door arguing over whether the hinges ar on the right or the left. Approximately 85% of all political questions and marital arguments are of this nature. Feel free to be irked: that's part of the process as well.

A crapshoot implies no skill is required. Why have a GM, then? Why not choose with a random number generator? I think it’s more like Texas Hold’em. You need both luck and skill to win, because much of the information to make perfect decisions based on the state of play is hidden.

That's fair.
And it is also an indictment of NFL drafting, given how random QB success seems to be vs. evaluations.

It's interesting that people sit there and credit Caserio for what went on in Houston but they didn't exactly show a lot of patience with head coaches. Credit him for building the team, but I find it a little surprising that it's not like they let who they had weather that storm. Sort of makes you wonder what would happen with Mayo if the same thing happened here. Kraft likes him, but I don't know exactly how that might play out.
I think it was a mistake to hire a HC with no experience as a coordinator. I hope he does well, but I have a lot of doubt. It’s likely to be bumpy.

Not being able to entice quality FAs .....and also ......botching the #3 pick would be a problem.

Hopefully he endears himself with Thunder + Thunder Jr. It's working for Mayo.

I worked briefly in Human Resources at a financial services firm. The CEO was always complaining that we couldn't hire top people, as if it were a problem in the process. What nobody could say was that the top people didn't want to work for him.

Sometimes, the circumstances make all efforts ineffective. I don't think Wolf can be blamed for Ridley not signing with the Pats (and that's the only top FA that there's any evidence they went after, IIRC).

I read, shortly after AVP was hired that he was going to have a significant hand in picking the next QB. Hopefully, everyone is on the same page for the QB pick. I would assume since Wolf, AVP, Highsmith and Wackadoo have experience with each other that they are going to come to a consensus prior to the draft.

We all have our preferences, but we are not privy to the important off the field stuff and private workouts where the QBs will be able to show the ability to work AVP style concepts. I might not like their choice but will accept it is their best decision will the info they have. I also know that we as a collective will ***** about whatever that decision is.

LOL. Riiight. So it would be one factor, among many, in his evaluation. That said, your "Why not choose with a random number generator" is at least as silly as any implication that such decisions are entirely a crap shoot. This is one of those (dumb) questions where the proper answer to the the question is a simple clarification of the assumptions underlying the question, sort of like two guys on opposite sides of a door arguing over whether the hinges ar on the right or the left. Approximately 85% of all political questions and marital arguments are of this nature. Feel free to be irked: that's part of the process as well.
I made it clear that I think it’s skill and luck. I’m not the one who said it’s a crapshoot. The two positions are very different, but if he wants to amend his position and say it’s not a crapshoot, and that skill comes into play, we will be in agreement (EDIT: and he did. See? We were having a reasonable discussion.)

I’m not irked at all. Why would I be? Disagreements happen. But it’s unfair to say I was asking a dumb question when I took his words at face value. It would be presumptuous of me to assume what he meant. If I was to be irked by anyone, it would be you for sanctimoniously butting in and misrepresenting my argument. But I’m not, because this is just fun for me.

Fired?

No. Not a chance that he gets fired for missing on the QB taken at 3.

JJ McCarthy is the riskier pick. Take him at 3 and he whiffs, then you have to question the process that lead to such a reach.

Most important in all this is the declaration they've made that prior bust picks were the result of NOT going with the staff consensus. I think they are dedicated to that at this point. It won't be a lone Wolf decision.

I think it was a mistake to hire a HC with no experience as a coordinator. I hope he does well, but I have a lot of doubt. It’s likely to be bumpy.

For what it's worth, Jon Harbaugh went straight from being the Eagles Defensive Backs coach to being HC of the Ravens, and he's been very successful. Won a Super Bowl with Flacco, and has pivoted to a very different style of offense with Jackson. You're right that that's not the norm, but it's not an automatic disaster.

I am confident JJ is not starter level so no worries lol.

My thought process on GMs is if they pick the wrong QB and their other moves don't work out - they get 3 to 4 years max.

If the QB does not work out but they put together a good team through successful drafts and free agencies, they get 1 more kick at the QB can.

None of this crap of GMs cycling through several QBs and coaches while they keep their job.

Was Mac a Bill or Wolf pick?

He was only a consultant in 2021, so I would be surprised if his vote outweighed whatever combination of BB, Groh, and McDaniels made up the pie. Doesn't mean he wouldn't have also picked Mac if he was the guy, but he wasn't at that time.

Is JJ the consensus pick in the draft room and Wolf ignores everyone and goes Daniels, that is a big strike against him but not as big as the opposite way where Daniels is not only the consensus in the draft room but in the public and he goes contrarian and picks JJ. That will get you fired.
That hits on maybe one of the biggest challenges a GM will face

There are "safe" choices they can make that will let them keep their job even if it doesn't turn out right

The best GMs will simply go in whatever direction they feel is right, however it looks, and be judged on the merits. Let's hope wolf is one of those

Last edited:
No, a GM who blows the QB pick needs to be evaluated on the totality.

On the other hand, I want to know who recommended Mac Jones and JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Sometimes, the circumstances make all efforts ineffective.
Unfortunately, some of these "circumstances" are self inflicted under the stewardship of Thunder
I don't think Wolf can be blamed for Ridley not signing with the Pats
Wolf certainly gets a pass but this grace period will be short lived. Regardless of the challenging "circumstances", his job is to deliver results.
Assigning Wolf a proper job title might help.

(and that's the only top FA that there's any evidence they went after, IIRC).
And this is the most worrisome aspect of the master plan under Thunder's new regime.

That hits on maybe one of the biggest challenges a GM will face

There are "safe" choices they can make that will let them keep their job more even if it doesn't turn out right

The best GMs will simply go in whatever direction they feel is right, however it looks, and be judged on the merits. Let's hope wolf is one of those
Like players, pretty sure most GMs go with the "fall guy" scenario. Quite often the 1st or 2nd year coach is a good target.

I think Daniels busting wouldn't be known for a while. Meaning, because of his talent and mobility, he could compete enough to be productive for several years in that "growth" period. So it's doubtful he'd be labeled an outright bust.

JJ is also athletic, but could be more a Zach Wilson level bust. Like, in the 2nd year, you just know.
Not saying he will - he could end up being like a Baker for some team. We'll see.
But, I don't want to see with the Pats. He's not a blue-chip #3 guy.

Most important in all this is the declaration they've made that prior bust picks were the result of NOT going with the staff consensus. I think they are dedicated to that at this point. It won't be a lone Wolf decision.
Where was this declaration made? Did I miss something?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back