PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mac and BB have irreconcilable differences, what is Mac’s trade value?

That is a really good question.. I feel it would have to be how the team performs and if they make it to the playoffs, ect..
@n6249c

Something is awry though, if we were still Winning and making deep play-off runs this would not even be a discussion.

What's so frustrating as a fan is during Mac's rookie season he impressed and showed promise. He had the team at #1 seed at one point during the season.

2022 was 100% self Inflicting, now these reports come out.. none of the reputable sports journalists are refuting it. The team hasn't uttered a word.. they let us know they were going to seek an offensive coordinator & working on retaining mayo.. why not refute the reports?

I'd like Mac to stay and have a great season.. if he succeeds the team does well.

However who's to say these reports are not being reported by Mac's camp... so much to wonder. This has been such an intriguing off season.

I'll mention again the reason Lance is attractive is he's on a rookie deal as well, ulta athletic, cannon for an arm. So that's why San Francisco is a team to watch during these next few weeks..

There is no benefit to trading Mac. You still don't know what he is given the hand he was dealt last season. And the value will be low.

Vs just keeping him for another year and seeing if he can be at least who he was his rookie year.

If we trade Mac because he hurt bills feelings by talking to some of his mentors at Alabama and he turns it around and looks even like rookie year Mac and the Patriots struggle with Zappe and some journeymen then that really looks bad on BB and is possibly Krafts last straw.

Let's remember bill only has a couple years left. Kraft has this team for life. He already saw what a disaster letting Brady go was, what hiring Patricia/judge to coach offense was.

There is no benefit to trading Mac. You still don't know what he is given the hand he was dealt last season. And the value will be low.

Vs just keeping him for another year and seeing if he can be at least who he was his rookie year.

If we trade Mac because he hurt bills feelings by talking to some of his mentors at Alabama and he turns it around and looks even like rookie year Mac and the Patriots struggle with Zappe and some journeymen then that really looks bad on BB and is possibly Krafts last straw.

Let's remember bill only has a couple years left. Kraft has this team for life. He already saw what a disaster letting Brady go was, what hiring Patricia/judge to coach offense was.
We know some of what he is from how he handled the hand he was dealt last season.

He’s emotionally fragile, cannot handle adversity, does not know how to keep things inside the building. He also showed a bit of entitled privilege when he said his work ethic should be enough to get him anointed as starter, without realizing that work ethic is only important for the results of the work, which he hasn’t really shown.

That may not be knowing all of what he is, but may be enough to know he’s not capable of becoming an elite franchise QB.

Find
We know some of what he is from how he handled the hand he was dealt last season.

He’s emotionally fragile, cannot handle adversity, does not know how to keep things inside the building. He also showed a bit of entitled privilege when he said his work ethic should be enough to get him anointed as starter, without realizing that work ethic is only important for the results of the work, which he hasn’t really shown.

That may not be knowing all of what he is, but may be enough to know he’s not capable of becoming an elite franchise QB.
When did he say his work ethic was enough to be a starter?

Find

After the game, Jones was clearly frustrated. He talked about the fact he relies on a routine, while also citing his work ethic as a reason he deserved to remain the team’s starter. “I work really hard and put myself in position to [start]. Yes, I think I deserve that.”

After the game, Jones was clearly frustrated. He talked about the fact he relies on a routine, while also citing his work ethic as a reason he deserved to remain the team’s starter. “I work really hard and put myself in position to [start]. Yes, I think I deserve that.”

Hmm that couldn’t of sat well with Bill.

If they have irreconcilable differences, why is Mac's trade value the only scenario being discussed? Surely BB would have trade value to many teams like WAS for instance right? I'm not advocating for any of this, I'm just saying it isn't just MAC who's a tradeable asset

Find

This was in Ian’s excellent summation about the trade rumors swirling around Mac, from after the Chicago game:
Is Mac Jones on the Trade Block? Six Thoughts On the Patriots QB's Situation

He’s emotionally fragile, cannot handle adversity, does not know how to keep things inside the building.
spot on, a franchise qb does not behave like this
He also showed a bit of entitled privilege when he said his work ethic should be enough to get him anointed as starter,
this is an embarassment
almost every guy in the nfl has work ethic, this is the minimum what you can expect as a team from a player
without realizing that work ethic is only important for the results of the work, which he hasn’t really shown.

A 3rd would be gold.

Id take that in a heartbeat and cut my losses.

Ian,

Personally speaking for myself as a fan. I believe with the news being out.... that it's just a matter of time. I like Mac and feel the kid's been dealt a bad hand last season. I would like to see him with BOB and lead this team. However at this point it's likely just a Matter of time before Mac and the team part ways.

His trade value has to be a high 2nd? However things could also turn if the organization and Mac's camp met and hashed everything out.

Ok lets stop with the Mac is emotionally fragile, he yells at coaches and doesn't behave like a franchise qb. Sorry, Tom Brady, yelled at coaches, pouted, and stormed around like a diva all the time. Peyton Manning did, Dan Marino, Elway, they all did. Of course they had earned it. The argument with Mac Jones is he hasn't earned that yet, and I would argue he hasn't earned the job yet. Bill is a master at understanding what players need and what the team needs. If Mac wants to be the guy he has to earn it. He hasn't yet. Heck, I hope he does, but as of right now Zappe was better than he was last year. Mac doesn't just get the job handed to him if he isn't better than the other qb in the room. If he works harder than Zappe and has better tools and a better qb brain they he will win. But if he sits on his butt and says I am the starter, I deserve it, he should be shipped out on the next bus. That is what BIll is saying, not only did he undermine the team last year, he pretty much sucked most of the year. Blame it on whomever you want, but if he doesn't play better he won't start.

As far as what is he worth, my guess is a 1st rounder, 3 years of control left, much further along than incoming qb's in the draft. This isn't a team paying 2 1st rounders and then $50million guaranteed, this is the draft pick and cheap money for 3 years. Jimmy G was draft picks plus a huge contract, and he had showed way less that Mac has shown.

Last edited:
Ok lets stop with the Mac is emotionally fragile, he yells at coaches and doesn't behave like a franchise qb. Sorry, Tom Brady, yelled at coaches all the time, pouted, and stormed around like a diva all the time. Peyton Manning did, Dan Marino, Elway, they all did. Of course they had earned it. The argument with Mac Jones is he hasn't earned that yet, and I would argue he hasn't earned the job yet. Bill is a master at understanding what players need and what the team needs. If Mac wants to be the guy he has to earn it. He hasn't yet. Heck, I hope he does, but as of right now Zappe was better than he was last year. Mac doesn't just get the job handed to him if he isn't better than the other qb in the room. If he works harder than Zappe and has better tools and a better qb brain they he will win. But if he sits on his butt and says I am the starter, I deserve it, he should be shipped out on the next bus. That is what BIll is saying, not only did he undermine the team last year, he pretty much sucked most of the year. Blame it on whomever you want, but if he doesn't play better he won't start.

As far as what is he worth, my guess is a 1st rounder, 3 years of control left, much further along than incoming qb's in the draft. This isn't a team paying 2 1st rounders and then $50million guaranteed, this is the draft pick and cheap money for 3 years. Jimmy G was draft picks plus a huge contract, and he had showed way less that Mac has shown.
Generally agree, but his market value is depressed because he’s damaged goods, or perceived as such. Pluses are three years remaining on his rookie deal, Pro Bowl alternate in his rookie season, runner up in ROY voting. Minuses are a poor sophomore season, regressed not grew. Gets some cover from being in a dysfunctional coaching cauldron but handled it poorly, did not deal with adversity well on field or in locker room. Biggest minus is Belichick giving up on him after two years. Whatever you think, other coaches have to look at it and think “if he’s a problem for BB will he be a problem for me?” It’s a risk, sure there will be some ego appeal to succeed when Belichick didn’t, but there’s a question of whether it will work. Layer all those negatives on top of the market being just teams that do not already have a better QB situation with lower risk and manageable cost. Result is unlikely to be a first round pick IMO, or maybe a first next year tops, more likely second or even third.

What team has a coach and GM that will take that risk and no better option at QB?

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Generally agree, but his market value is depressed because he’s damaged goods, or perceived as such. Pluses are three years remaining on his rookie deal, Pro Bowl alternate in his rookie season, runner up in ROY voting. Minuses are a poor sophomore season, regressed not grew. Gets some cover from being in a dysfunctional coaching cauldron but handled it poorly, did not deal with adversity well on field or in locker room. Biggest minus is Belichick giving up on him after two years. Whatever you think, other coaches have to look at it and think “if he’s a problem for BB will he be a problem for me?” It’s a risk, sure there will be some ego appeal to succeed when Belichick didn’t, but there’s a question of whether it will work. Layer all those negatives on top of the market being just teams that do not already have a better QB situation with lower risk and manageable cost. Result is unlikely to be a first round pick IMO, or maybe a first next year tops, more likely second or even third.

What team has a coach and GM that will take that risk and no better option at QB?
I don't think they ship him off unless they get a first or something equivalent. I think a majority of the "story" is fabricated anyways, and for cheap money, why get rid of him. Even if Zappe is the man going forward, Mac is an acceptable backup qb at a cheap price. There is definitely value to that and I would argue more value than a 3rd rounder for sure. But if someone comes calling.

I agree and I've said that before. If a team sees BB of all people giving up on a young QB - instant red flag if he's on the block.

I agree and I've said that before. If a team sees BB of all people giving up on a young QB - instant red flag if he's on the block.
That’s one big reason I don’t think there’s a serious plan to move Mac. I think it would be good if there was, at this point, but it’s unrealistic.

so I think this is meant to be a crystal clear message to Mac. Problem is, I don’t think Corky can figure it out.

I’m worried that we haven’t heard about him having any throwing sessions with his receivers this year. Seems he has given up on doing that part of his job. We’ll see how well he’s spending all the time and work he’s supposedly doing at the facility when camp opens,mor when he finally has some throwing sessions on his own. Until then I’m not optimistic.

this should be merged into the other nonsense threads about Mac being traded

ignore thread getting a workout today

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back