PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mac and BB have irreconcilable differences, what is Mac’s trade value?

Yep. Belichick didn’t lock Jones in as the starter because he believes Jones has to win the job, not because he wants to get rid of him. He may well draft another QB, Zappe could win the job, or he could have a good season, but I don’t think Belichick is we’d to him long term, but Belichick doesn’t get butthurt and get rid of players for no reason.
If Bill wasn’t aware his offense was poorly managed early on, by season’s end he was painfully aware just like the rest of us. Mac will get a mulligan, all the young offensive players will.

If Bill wasn’t aware his offense was poorly managed early on, by season’s end he was painfully aware just like the rest of us. Mac will get a mulligan, all the young offensive players will.

I agree, but t I still think Jones has to beat out Zappe over the next 8 months. The starting job won’t be handed to him x

Not gatekeeping anything. There's no way they're trading a second (now third) year QB on his original contract. It makes no sense.

Why do you think that it's a certainty that he will be traded? Why would that make sense for the football team? Are you a Team Zappe guy?

The OP never said they think it's a certainty Mac will be traded.

You said there was a rift because of a press conference. That's not putting words in your mouth.
Right, but before this post you said OP believed that it's a "certainty" Mac is getting traded.
And then you went from "certainty" to "pretty good" chance.

Neither of those things were ever said by the OP, though.

This quoted post above is not putting words in anyone's mouth. The first two, absolutely did, though.

Are there even potential suitors anymore? Would the Colts do it?

Q: If Mac and BB have irreconcilable differences, what is Mac’s trade value?

A: It‘s whatever a trade partner is willing to spend. Only way to know that for sure is to shop him around.

He's on a rookie contract with zero leverage.

Don't trade him, let him and Zappe battle it out next offseason with a qualified NFL offensive coordinator and let the best man win.

Assuming they find their offensive coach and have another offseason like the last two, this will be a really good team next season.

Mac should have an opportunity to redeem himself in a good situation, or lose the job outright.
Problem with that is if Zappe wins the job you end up with a disgruntled former #1 prima donna riding the pine getting splinters up his butt. He‘ll be sulking and sowing dissension and whining to the owner and mediots will be spilling barrels of toxic ink all over the team. Is that the recipe for a successful season? Best thing to do is cut all ties as quickly as possible after determining he’s not the top dog.

Problem with that is if Zappe wins the job you end up with a disgruntled former #1 prima donna riding the pine getting splinters up his butt. He‘ll be sulking and sowing dissension and whining to the owner and mediots will be spilling barrels of toxic ink all over the team. Is that the recipe for a successful season? Best thing to do is cut all ties as quickly as possible after determining he’s not the top dog.
Geez - really could've copied and pasted the entire thing (except Zappe for Mac) from two years ago.

Geez - really could've copied and pasted the entire thing (except Zappe for Mac) from two years ago.
And what happened to the former #1 then?

You could have copied and pasted the entire thing from 22 years ago, too.

What matters in that scenario is if Zappe has the support of his teammates on offense, and if the offense is successful. If he doesn’t, or the offense isn’t successful, then there can be problems.

Are there even potential suitors anymore? Would the Colts do it?
There definitely are some QB needy teams out there.. teams are reluctant to make a move until the draft..

I was optimistic prior to hearing the news, the more I think about it to me.. just speaking for myself I don't see how it doesn't happen.

Either everyone gets together and hashes this out, and puts the best foot forward and or Mac and his agent ask for a trade if one already isn't in the works.

I can very easily see a SF trade as Lance is equally on a rookie deal.

I hope it doesn't happen as I like Mac and think he'd do well under O’Brien.. however if there would be a potential for Lamar some how, some way.. We'd have to explore.. I'd think?

I can very easily see a SF trade as Lance is equally on a rookie deal.
if that trade happens and Lance comes to NE, wins the starting role, and goes to the Pro Bowl will that be enough to rehabilitate BB’s reputation?

So a complete hypothetical is being gatekeeped from even being discussed because you think it has a 0% chance of happening. Am I getting this right?
Sure seem to be discussing it plenty now. Lol

To clarify, this is not me saying let’s move on from Mac. This is just playing out the scenario that both sides sour in the relationship and the team decides on a fresh start.

What would we get in return? If I had to guess, a 2023 second plus another conditional pick in 24 based on playing time/performance would make sense.

Best fit would seem to be Tampa. Tampa will not be in a position to draft a premium QB, and are in a cap position where they will likely need a cheaper option.

Mac gives them that for the next couple of seasons, and they can give him the 5th year if he plays well for them next year.

Mac to Tampa for a 2023 2nd and a 2024 3rd that turns into a 2nd if he meets performance incentives? Just spitballing what a trade would look like.
Of course with our luck, we trade Mac to Tampa for a 4th and 7th rounder then sit back in horror as another NE QB leads Tampa to a SB victory! How ‘bout everyone (scribes, fans, Sterling Sharpe) pull up their “big boy” pants, chill, and ride this year out. Cripes - CBS Sports has an article outlining 10 QB’s we can get to replace Mac now. From that list we’d be better off seeing if Joe Kapp might be available….

if that trade happens and Lance comes to NE, wins the starting role, and goes to the Pro Bowl will that be enough to rehabilitate BB’s reputation?
That is a really good question.. I feel it would have to be how the team performs and if they make it to the playoffs, ect..

Washington would be the team, but for some odd reason they’re completely smitten with Sam Howell.
I mean the guy is undefeated. They're rolling with the hot hand.

He would net at least a second round pick. Possibly more. QBs are going for ridiculous amounts of draft capital even the washed up ones. The Colts gave up a first round pick and a conditional second (based solely on playing time his first season with them) for Carson Wentz. Watson and Wilson both went for multiple firsts and other picks. And that was with it being unknown what Watson's punishment was and whether he would be charged with a felony.

Garoppolo is not a good comp since the Pats traded him midseason at a much lower compensation than what they could have gotten in the previous offseason. And reports were he took less to trade him to the 49ers. And in 2018, trade compensation was much lower than it is now. Teams are getting ridiculous draft capital for players.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back