PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good post and I have some theories on why the coaches who should know more about the game than us tend to do things we don't understand. It is a few reasons in my mind.

#1 Coaches get so hung up on the little things they forget the big picture. Andy Reid is guilty of this a lot. He builds his team to have it run a certain way but doesn't manage the clock and is so stuck in his mind set he can't see the obvious in the moment.

#2 Trying too hard not to lose. Coaches in the NFL are too conservative. They would rather play it safe than take a risk even when you should take the risk. They would rather have a sure 10% chance to win in the final 5 minutes as oppose to risking losing then and there on a 50/50 shot to try to get up to 30-40%. It is a big issue with a lot of coaches and one of the best things about BB is he recognizes times to take risk and times not to and has the courage to do it. Coaches know a lose counts the same on your record but getting blown out trying to take risk to win can cost you your job.

#3 Coaches aren't that much more knowledgeable in ways that count. Sometimes we give NFL head coaches too much credit. There are only a few who truly are the real deal and the rest as guys who don't offer much more than a low level coach in high school or college might. Football is a sport that is it very hard to see the whole picture clearly. And at times seeing only 70% or 80% of the picture isn't much more useful than seeing 10% or 20%. Particularly if you get so focused on the small things you are not ready for the big things.

That's a very good analysis of the NYFL coaching characteristics.

One of the best examples of #2 was Bill Cowher of the Steelers during the Pats AFCC game at Pitt in 2004 when, trailing by 14 in the 4th quarter, he kicked a FG instead of taking a chance on a 4th and short from the 2. You could feel the air go out of the stadium.

I think that #3 also has merit because of the good old boys hiring attitude that exists within the NYFL.

I'm a firm believer in Belichick's own words on the subject. It's a players game. If a coach has a great game plan and makes great decisions he still needs the players to execute to win. If a coach has a bad game plan and makes bad decisions he can bring even the best players down to a loss.

I just don't see how they can get rid of Brady by next season if he is playing at the same level. We are witnessing Brady at his best right now.

He has to get significantly injured or start to decline before we can consider moving on. Otherwise I really think it is foolish. Brady gives us the greatest chance to win #6 and possibly even #7 over the next two years unless he "hits a cliff".

PFK, you're overthinking it and I've got to DISAGREE.

Jimmy G staying in New England does not mean Brady is being shown the door.

It means that BB sees that he has a stacked team and the only possible weakness would be an injury to Brady midseason. BB isn't the kind of guy to throw in the towel IF his franchise QB were to get hurt.

He worked wonders with Matt Cassell, by all reports a lesser talent than Jimmy G, and he made do with two very green QBs during Brady's 4 game suspension. The depth at QB saved us just last season. We managed to go 3-1 during Brady's absence. That 3-1 stretch set us up as the #1 seed in our conference and allowed us a strong Super Bowl run in which we ultimately Reigned as Champions.

Please stop doubting BB and Brady. Those who bet against them end up LOSING those bets.

As far as saying that every team in the NFL is equal to the Pats in terms of physical talents. I feel like you have either smoked too much weed or drunk too much Negative Nancy Punch.

Mark my words, Ken. The Patriots will have the #1 offense in the NFL this season, at worse they will be top 3, but my bet is they are the #1 offense in the entire NFL. They will bring to mind yesteryear of 2007.

They will be blowing out teams left and right. Opposing fans will be furious and scold us for 'running up the score' or when all hope is lost accuse our franchise of 'phantom cheating'. When all else fails, accuse of cheating, right?

When the dust settles I see a regular season record of 15-1 or if we are fortunate to overcome the occasional close call as good as 16-0. Even if we bust through all the scoring records in 2017-18 ALL that matters to me in the end is that 6th Lombardi trophy.

Cheer up, PFK. They are who we think they are, the #1 Championship Contenders for this season! As long as we stay healthy, I don't see anyone stopping us. And this is not based on arrogance or blind faith, but the way this team is shaping up, the entire NFL should simply be TERRIFIED. Defensive coordinators as we speak are losing sleep and wetting their beds preparing for the Pats! :):p

Not only that - There is the issue of that 6 game stretch where they play 5 road games. This is a schedule anomoly that almost NEVER happens. I think twice in the last 20 years. And IIRC I don't think either team won more than 3 games. Think about it, that is almost 2 straight months on the road. :eek:
However they may struggle during that time, adversity on the road creates an inward focus, that all important feeling of us-against-the-world. At the tail end of the season it might very well forge a tougher team to where Belichick, once again, truly likes his players. Which surely happened last year, but doesn't happen every year.

If that six-game stretch was conniving by the league (though I kinda doubt that) they should be careful what they wish for.

Ken - Thanks for all your great posting. You are a favorite since way back in the Bob Jensen days... peace

I don't think Brady is being shown the door. I think Brady is playing one more season--his decision. I think he's let them know. They don't want it to be a distraction.

I have no proof and I am wrong often but that's what I think.

I don't think Brady is being shown the door. I think Brady is playing one more season--his decision. I think he's let them know. They don't want it to be a distraction.

I have no proof and I am wrong often but that's what I think.
It would be odd for him to continuously deny it so intensely in public by constantly stating that he wants to play another 5+ years, etc. I think there would be hints in his comments, but that's just how I see it. You may be right.

I think it's much more likely that the team itself is simply keeping all of its options open due to some variables like age, increased odds of injury, historic drop off (at some point), and even the possibility of different circumstances after one more SB win.

My idle thought-

Once BB is done, you will see a 8-10 time SB winner QB. How so do you ask?

Well for one TB12 can never be left alone as the GOAT. Flat out can't. His lack of football lineage cannot be left to stand.

The next is, look how many Peyton may have had IF not for NE and BB? 4? 5? More? How about Luck? He'd probably have a couple by now.

The league has done almost all it can to ****** the Pats over the years and quite unsuccessfully. Without BB and Co, it will be easy for the league to further whatever agenda it deems fit.

Great post as we have come to expect from PFK..

I am not convinced that the team that we have on paper is the team we will see in September... there are lot of guys and a lot of cap room to solidify our depth, and some changes are expected.

As far as the run game goes do not see the NFL changing to a run game offense, what I do see is a lot of teams trying to do this and falling behind .. the pass game is so refined now by the elite QB's, it looks like an easy way out for some teams but it is not. The pass heavy NFL will continue... providing there are good QB's.

Not trading Jimmy G perplexed me initially, but over time not trading him makes some sense. Do not think he is the QB of the future, Brisset seems to be the guy providing he makes a big second year leap.. he seems to at least have the right attitude to be the heir, let's see how TC goes for him. If we franchise JG will not expect any $$$ to change hands, to pay a back up 24 Million is ludicrous in the Pats economic system. He is still a major chip to be used for the future of this franchise. Unless behind the scenes knowledge that this could be Brady's last year.

Two important issues from my big comfy couch:
1. We have a about 70 Million in cap room next year, so we can extend some of our players and bring in some new blood if there are gaps in this team.
2. We have the best and most consistent coaching staff in the NFL..

The biggest issue are injuries, as much depth as we have if we start to lose a few of our core players then there could be issues.

In the first part of SB LI our lack of speed was obvious, has this been addressed?? We seem faster, but will not know for a while. Football is a game of so many variables, it is difficult to know all until the season progresses. Do not see much of a challenge in our division, but you never really know until it begins. On paper we are unbeatable, but I prefer to wait and see what happens during the season.

Congratulations on 10.000. And so many “idle“ ones at that!

If Id have to sum up BB's philosophy: margin is thin . depth matters.

Wow, talk about dysfunction o_O

Congrats on the 10K Ken. Your posts are high quality content, even if compared to paid journalists.

I wont lie to myself, 60% of me belief that JG is the the heir, for the reasons Ken expressed.

I would be 100% sure if they tagged Him and refuse to trade him again. I said in a thread before: we could be saving cap space this year for carry over purposes, so we can hold onto him for one more year.

I know everyone is riding high right now with the way this off season has gone, but it is important NOT to lose track of the fact that the margin of victory is still very thin in the NFL, and it doesn't take much to derail a season. ESPECIALLY when if you don't win the Superbowl the season will be a failure. So just a one game slip up can doom a season.

The fact is that the Pats will rarely line up against a team this fall whose physical talent will not be at LEAST as good as their's. And as much as we'd like to think the Pat's system and coaching is THAT much better than anyone else's, we'd best remember that they are paying those other guys a LOT of money too. So while I believe BB and his staff are the best in the league, the gap isn't as big as we'd like to think. (as we saw in the first half of the superbowl)

1 Concerns - Yes Martha, there ARE concerns.

a. The defensive line. Its solid and deeper now since the draft, but the fact remains that if we are honest, if you rated the DL's in the AFCE, ours would be ranked #4 based on Talent.
For things to go well this year a lot of things have to happen.

Malcolm Brown needs to raise the level of his play. Brown has been a solid NFL starting DT who has flashed on occasion. For the Pats DL to be successful he needs to "flash" a lot more this season.

Alan Branch - He needs to maintain the high level of play he showed last season. That isn't easy for a guy who will be 33 before the playoffs.

Vincent Valentine - He needs to make a solid 2nd year jump, especially if there is a decline in Branch's play.

Ealy and Guy have to make an impact right away. Both guys have flashed, but also have been up and down. They have to come in here and play consistently well. We all HOPE they will. We has some reason to EXPECT they will. But we don't KNOW they will. That's the concern that won't be answered until October.

b. The interior of the OL - We were OK last season, but when the chips were down in the superbowl our running game vanished, and it wasn't just LBG's fault. There were no holes. I'd be OK with David Andrews at C, but I'd be happier with an upgrade. His physical limitations make him a liability in the run game, and an issue against certain DLmen in pass protection. More and more 4-3 teams are lining up a DT or LB right on Andrews to push the pocket.

I'm sure there is a back up C on the team, but it's pretty much anyone's guess who it is. (Karras is my guess). We added 2 OT projects to a fairly stacked OT group, yet, so far, have completely ignored the interior OL depth.

Now this is kind of like the S situation. Because one one got hurt, we could see how the back ups would fare. Maybe they are happy with the current situaton, so my "concern" may be unwarranted. I hope so, but I'd feel a lot better if we signed Mangold.

c. The schedule: Looking at this schedule I can't imagine how FO's declared that the Pats had the easiest schedule this season. NFL.com just came out with their post draft rankings, and while I know it doesn't mean anything, it is interesting to note that of the top 13 teams on the list the Pats play 7 of them including #2 (Falcons) #3 (Steelers), and #4 (Raiders). That doesn't sound like a cake walk to me. (btw- the Pats were ranked #1)

Not only that - There is the issue of that 6 game stretch where they play 5 road games. This is a schedule anomoly that almost NEVER happens. I think twice in the last 20 years. And IIRC I don't think either team won more than 3 games. Think about it, that is almost 2 straight months on the road. :eek:

OK so there really are only 3 concerns, and compared to questions most teams have, they don't amount to much. I mean the DL, at worst will be OK, but will it be as good as it was last season, which ended up being OK, but not dominant. What we get from Guy, Ealy and Flowers will tell. btw- Flowers is going to have to raise HIS game as well. Teams are going to start looking for him as he will start the season as the Pats only proven pass rush threat.

2. Changes:

a. Football is ever cyclical. Alot of the new things we see from offenses like Carolina's have be taken almost directly from Single wing concepts of the 30's and 40's.

b. One of the reasons I worry about the DL is that I think the pendulum is going to start swinging back to the running game. The fact so many RB's were drafted in the first 3 rounds is a testiment to that fact. Since finding a good QB is so damned hard, teams are starting to realize that a good run game can cover a lot of QB sins (see Dallas, Titans, and even Buffalo). Also the move to smaller faster defenses who play nickel as their base make it prudent and easier to run the ball more. We can see it in our own off season planning with the additions of Burkhead and Gillislee. So watch for that change this season.

3. Still having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that JG is still here. I believe that Cleveland DID offer the #12 plus more this year and next, but the Pats didn't budge. I'm OK with it, especially since I think we got a guy who can be the edge rusher I wanted with that #12 pick down the road.

But what I can't get my head around is the meaning that decision implies. They didn't turn down those draft assets simply because they wanted the best back up possible for 2017. I can only conclude that they have made the decision that JG is going to be the next QB for the NE Patriots.....period.

So it seems, there is a good probability that this will be Tom Brady's last season with the team. That is a hard concept to digest. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is most logical conclusion. I know the fashionable narrative is that they will franchise JG in 2018, but while possible, the number will just be so restrictive, that it makes no sense for the rest of the team.

I wonder what Brady is thinking? I can't imagine he doesn't see the implications of the lack of a move. I can't imagine that Brady, BB and Kraft, haven't had a disucssion about it. And I can't imagine that it won't be a huge story line by the mediots the entire 2017 season, filled with rampant speculation. Because, we KNOW the Pats and Brady are never going to directly address it.

I think this is my 10,000th post. That's a lot of crap I've written over the years. I hope some of it was at least interesting. And as usual, your comments and additions will make the thread better

The only way Jimmy Garrapolo becomes the Patriots next starting QB is if Brady suffers a career ending injury. Or, I suppose, if Belichick suddenly becomes the dumbest person on earth.

The only way Jimmy Garrapolo becomes the Patriots next starting QB is if Brady suffers a career ending injury. Or, I suppose, if Belichick suddenly becomes the dumbest person on earth.
I have n0 idea why you "disagreed" with my entire post when you state the obvious. All I did was speculate what the Pats 2017 draft strategy, that kept JG here, meant.

Clearly you think it was to have the best back up in the league and let him go in 2018 for an end of the 3rd round pick in 2019, instead of 2 or 3 high end picks in 2017.

Now I have no idea WHAT Bill was thinking. Maybe he's decided the best way to restock his team is through trades rather than the draft. I don't know. What I do know is that it was a curious decision that bears watching, and that I hope it doesn't become a distraction during the season, because Brady isn't going to have 16 perfect games during the regular season.

I have n0 idea why you "disagreed" with my entire post when you state the obvious. All I did was speculate what the Pats 2017 draft strategy, that kept JG here, meant.

Clearly you think it was to have the best back up in the league and let him go in 2018 for an end of the 3rd round pick in 2019, instead of 2 or 3 high end picks in 2017.

Now I have no idea WHAT Bill was thinking. Maybe he's decided the best way to restock his team is through trades rather than the draft. I don't know. What I do know is that it was a curious decision that bears watching, and that I hope it doesn't become a distraction during the season, because Brady isn't going to have 16 perfect games during the regular season.
It was a "curious decision" only if you don't buy (or don't understand) what Garoppolo has to offer.

Ken, I didn't disagree with your "whole post," that's why I responded with what I disagree with. Imo the only way Garrapolo ends up as Brady's successor is if he somehow decides he wants to hold a clipboard for 25 million a year until 2022, maybe longer. Brady isn't close to done, and that's terrible news for the rest of the league.

To date not one person has made a fact based argument for Brady getting worse, although 28 TD's 2 Int's, as well as the greatest comeback of all time may be hard to top.

Last edited:
Ken, I didn't disagree with your "whole post," that's why I responded with what I disagree with. Imo the only way Garrapolo ends up as Brady's successor is if he somehow decides he wants to hold a clipboard for 25 million a year until 2022, maybe longer. Brady isn't close to done, and that's terrible news for the rest of the league.

To date not one person has made a fact based argument for Brady getting worse, although 28 TD's 2 Int's, as well as the greatest comeback of all time may be hard to top.
I completely agree with this sentiment. If he were willing to remain here to be Brady's back up for the next 2 years, he wouldn't be the kind of competitor we'd want to succeed Brady.

Unless they franchise him, he's not going to want to stay as a back up. He'll never sign a long term deal to be a back up, and committing 45MM dollars to the QB position would destroy the salary cap structure they've spent decades to create.

No if they franchise Jimmy after this season, it will only be to give themselves more time to trade him for a LOT less then they could have this April..

Ultimately the questions we will all have that will never be answered until the "book" comes out is, "Did Cleveland offer 3 picks including the #12 for JG", and "Why did you believe one year of JG as a back up was worth more than 3 potential future starters?"

That's the question that has now superceded that "What's the true story of Spygate?" for me (hopefully also answered in the same book. ;) )

Please stop saying that Brady is immortal and perfect with no sign of Decline. In reality, the GOAT had a terrible first three quarters in the Superbowl but reached back and had a Bradyesque 4th and OT.

Decline doesn't happen completely, at once. It is progressive, when the poor quarters begin to outnumber the good. Missing wide open receivers, throwing a Pick six, are not signs of a great Defense, they are signals of poor and declining Offense quarterbacking.

Brady was superb in the 4th and OT. It doesn't detract from the poor and dare I say it, declining play in the first 3 quarters.

What is more, the ever Realist, BB saw it and took steps in the Off season to try to mitigate it, by uncharacteristically devoting a major effort to fortify the Offense around Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes