PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't detract from the poor and dare I say it, declining play in the first 3 quarters.

I'd actually be really interested in a post mortem of those 3 quarters. Obviously that's what the rest of the league will be focused on as well. On the offensive side, how much was Brady, how much was game planning, how much was good defense on their part, and how much was just random stuff like the Blount fumble?

Clearly you think it was to have the best back up in the league and let him go in 2018 for an end of the 3rd round pick in 2019, instead of 2 or 3 high end picks in 2017.

Belichick does not talk much to the media, but when he says something, he means it. So when he said back in 2014 that they were drafting Garropolo because he didn't want to leave the Pats exposed to an injury at the QB position like the Colts did in 2011, I think he meant it.

Now fast forward to 2017. We don't know what was being offered for Garropolo, but as Belichick always say, he does what's best for the football team. And when we look at the transactions he did with the Pats 1st pick, 2nd pick and 3rd, I believe he didn't think this draft had high end talent available at the top. So assuming a team offered 2 or 3 high end picks in 2017 (and maybe such an offer wasn't even on the table), Belichick thought having Garoppolo for one more year, in a backup role, and getting potentially a 3rd rounder in 2 years was worth more than 2 or 3 high picks from 2017.

Then again, maybe he wants to keep Garoppolo one more year to see how Brady will fare this year. Belichick has said many times that the decline in a player happens suddenly, and as much as we want to believe Brady will play forever, Belichick knows there has not been many QB who played 2 or 3 great seasons past the age of 40. Again, what Belichick is doing right now is not different from what he has been saying for years, so I don't know why we are all surprised...

I'd actually be really interested in a post mortem of those 3 quarters. Obviously that's what the rest of the league will be focused on as well. On the offensive side, how much was Brady, how much was game planning, how much was good defense on their part, and how much was just random stuff like the Blount fumble?

I do not see it as so complicated. With Gronk out, only Edelman needed a double team. Bennett, Amendola, Hogan, and to some extent Mitchell, can all be covered 1-on-1 with success. Cook should help with that, and hopefully Mitchell and Hogan in their second year with Brady will blossom a bit more. Cook could have a learning curve with Brady so we have to watch that. Trading a first round pick for two years of Cook was BB tipping his hand IMO. We needed a second guy that could not be covered 1-on-1. If we have Edelman, Gronk, and Cook on the field at the same time then someone is open every play.

Also the running game was not great. Blount fizzled as the season wore on, so again BB tipped his hand getting both Gillislee and Burkhead plus paying White to stay. There is another thread noting our increase in spending on the RB position.

In the first three quarters we saw that the Pats running game was limited and 1-on-1 we had difficulty getting guys open in the passing game. So we resorted to scheming guys open, most noticeably White and Amendola, plus Mitchell got open a bit.

In the playoffs and Super Bowl a lot more holding and bumping is allowed, so having the physical speed and agility becomes more important. Based on the Super Bowl's first three quarters, BB went out and signed speed and agility at the RB and WR position. That is what I think happened - Brady was not in decline, we just needed to get younger, faster and quicker, and BB did it on the offensive side of the ball. Now we only have to watch the injuries and if Gronk can come back.

Not that complicated IMO ...............................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes