PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy 10,000th post Ken! Yeah the big story is JG wasn't trade and i too think it implies Brady is possibly gone. The only way Brady stays is if BB us convinced if he lets Brady leave he is probably leaving a super bowl title on the table.

This team needs to convince him that is the case.
Right
Brady needs to prove himself <rolls eyes skyward>

1. Have to share the concern, to some degree, about Branch. I dont think he showed signs of decline but he was crucial to the D Line. Was watching 3GTG last night and he continually stood out as our best d lineman. So if his play does dip, we would desperately need 1+ of the other guys, likely Brown to step up as a consistent playmaker.

2. Dont think teams will often have luxury of trying to run the ball on us with our offense. But if they do, still think we have the beef up front to handle it, and if Roberts improves, that would actually be more beneficial for our LB situation. Teams with dual threat rbs (Atlanta for one obviously) will likely be the biggest challenge once again.

3. Not moving JG could say more about the FO's thoughts on this draft class (which would be in line with all the trades of our picks) than TB's possible retirement. We'll keep banging our heads against the wall on this one but we won't know until we know.

Good post grats on 10k. Glad someone else shares my thoughts on Andrews...

..............Well my wife isn't exactly a knowledgeable FB fan (knows a lot about Baseball), she sees a change in TB12's social media content that makes her think he is looking to retire. She thinks his family life is making him learn towards retirement................

Every pro athlete starts leaning towards retirement by 40 ish. But we here on this site refuse to believe anything your wife says or thinks on this subject.:cool:

Congrats on 10K Ken! Many many more. Great toilet reading (take that as a sincere compliment!)

So while I believe BB and his staff are the best in the league, the gap isn't as big as we'd like to think. (as we saw in the first half of the superbowl)

Gotta throw the flag on this one. The "talent" gap may not be big, but the coaching gap certainly is. It goes back to a discussion some of us were having before the Ravens game last season. It's like when some team play the Patriots, they **** themselves because of the aura, perceived or not, that the Patriots are unbeatable. Of course we know they aren't. But coaches coach as if they believe it. You mention the SB in the first half, but arguments can be made that Shanahan and Quinn made decisions that ultimately cost them the game. The Patriots made the plays, of course, but if these guys kept doing what they were doing, we are having a different outcome and thus, different conversations.

You cannot discount the affect and effect coaching has on players everyone thinks is talented. Look no further than the AFC North and the Steelers and Bengals. From Antonio Brown and his Facebook antics to the Bengals and their messes from players to head coach (LEWIS IS STILL THERE!). As long as NFL coaches continue to act this way and not realize the Patriots are mopping the floor with all of them, they can have all the on-field talent in the world if they want to.... they'll lose before they step onto the field.

Congrats on the 10,000 posts, Ken! Always an interesting read.

(I also have around 10,000 posts but I bet you have posted 150X the amount of words that I have ;))
It's taken over 10,000 posts but I need to ask; where did u get that avitar? It's great!!!

I can see a scenario where Brady stays for 2 years.

In that scenario, Brady anounces or lets BB know that he will retire or leave the Pats after the 2018 season. The Pats sign JG to a long term contract that is structured so that it has a relatively low cap number (say $5MM) in the first year (2018). NOW the 2018 QB cap number will be in the 25-30MM range which would be very doable.

That extra year might be just what Brady needs to fill his need for competition as his kids grow up.

OR BB might just have thought that having JG for a year was worth the 3 high end picks he might have gotten. Who knows. We'll all have to wait for the book to find out. ;)

I swear to god its like people don't even know who Brady is or what drives him. He will not have a special deal with anyone about anything. He wants to play as long as he is physically capable of. If that is for another year then this is what it is, and if that ends up another 5 years then so be it.

Jesus.. this JG/Brady stuff will be mind numbingly annoying to read in the next 3 months...

While I still wish you would change your philosophy of "why write something in ten words when you can write 100 instead," I agree with pretty much all of this.

Brown was a surprise disappointment last year. Not a huge one--he didn't play badly--but for those like me expecting the second year jump, definitely came up short. Belichick's praise of Branch was for Branch (of course) but for Brown too I think.

Good post grats on 10k. Glad someone else shares my thoughts on Andrews...
I think it's pretty much conventional wisdom that Andrews has limited physical skills.

I swear to god its like people don't even know who Brady is or what drives him. He will not have a special deal with anyone about anything. He wants to play as long as he is physically capable of. If that is for another year then this is what it is, and if that ends up another 5 years then so be it.

Jesus.. this JG/Brady stuff will be mind numbingly annoying to read in the next 3 months...
I only WISH it will be for the next 3 months.

Offensive Starters:

QB: Tom Brady (NEP), Ryan Tannehill (MIA), Tyrod Taylor (BUF), Luke McCown (NYJ)
RB: LeSean McCoy (BUF), Jay Ajayi (MIA), Matt Forté (NYJ), Mike Gilislee/Rex Burkhead (NEP)
W1: Brandin Cooks (NEP), Jarvis Landry (MIA), Sammy Watkins (BUF), Eric Decker (NYJ)
W2: Julian Edelman (NEP), Kenny Stills (MIA), Quincy Enunwa (NYJ), Zay Jones (BUF)
W3: DaVante Parker (MIA), Chris Hogan (NEP), Corey Brown (BUF), Robby Anderson (NYJ)
TE: Rob Gronkowski (NEP), Charles Clay (BUF), Julius Thomas (MIA), Austin Seferian-Jenkins (NYJ)

LT: Nate Solder (NEP), Laremy Tunsil (MIA), Cordy Glenn (BUF), Kelvin Beachum (NYJ)
LG: Richie Incognito (BUF), Joe Thuney (NEP), James Carpenter (NYJ), Ted Larsen (MIA)
CE: Mike Pouncey (MIA), Eric Wood (BUF), David Andrews (NEP), Wesley Johnson (NYJ)
RG: Brian Winters (NYJ), Shaq Mason (NEP), John Miller (BUF), Jermon Bushrod (MIA)
RT: Marcus Cannon (NEP), Ja'Wuan James (MIA), Dion Dawkins (BUF), Ben Ijalana (NYJ)

Defensive Starters

DE: Muhammad Wilkerson (NYJ), Jerry Hughes (BUF), Cameron Wake (MIA), Trey Flowers (NEP)
DT: Ndamukong Suh (MIA), Marcell Dareus (BUF), Alan Branch (NEP), Steve McLendon (NYJ)
DT: Leonard Williams (NYJ), Kyle Williams (BUF), Malcom Brown (NEP), Jordan Phillips (MIA)
DE: Sheldon Richardson (NYJ), Kony Ealy (NEP), Lorenzo Alexander (BUF), Andre Branch (MIA)

MLB: Dont'a Hightower (NEP), Kiko Alonso (MIA), David Harris (NYJ), Reggie Ragland (BUF)
WLB: Lawrence Timmons (MIA), Shea McClellin (NEP), Darron Lee (NYJ), Ramon Humber (BUF)
SLB: Preston Brown (BUF), Raekwon McMillan (MIA), Kyle Van Noy (NEP), Lorenzo Mauldin (NYJ)

CB: Stephon Gilmore (NEP), Morris Claiborne (NYJ), Ronald Darby (BUF), Byron Maxwell (MIA)
FS: Devin McCourty (NEP), Marcus Maye (NYJ), Jordan Poyer (BUF), Michael Thomas (MIA),
SS: Reshad Jones (MIA), Jamal Adams (NYJ), Patrick Chung (NEP), Micah Hyde (BUF)
CB: Malcolm Butler (NEP), Tre'Davious White (BUF), Marcus Williams (NYJ), Tony Lippett (MIA)

Special Teams Starters

KI: Stephen Gostkowski (NEP), Stephen Hauschka (BUF), Andrew Franks (MIA), Chandler Catanzaro (NYJ)

Feel free to argue at the players and the rankings as much as you like but I'm nowhere near as pessimistic as you appear to be ken. Roster building is difficult and judging to my eye, especially when you go past the big names, the Pats are light years ahead of the rest.

Every team has issues somewhere.

So it seems, there is a good probability that this will be Tom Brady's last season with the team. That is a hard concept to digest. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is most logical conclusion. I know the fashionable narrative is that they will franchise JG in 2018, but while possible, the number will just be so restrictive, that it makes no sense for the rest of the team.

I think there's another possibility: Brady cuts the ultimate team-friendly deal, taking a huge cut so that Garoppolo can be kept with #1 QB either by franchise tag or even a long term deal for him as successor. Brady doesn't need the money, but he wants the opportunity to play as long as possible without hurting the team, so let him switch pay with Jimmy G. He could even become the first Player/Coach the NFL has had in a long time...

Still having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that JG is still here. I believe that Cleveland DID offer the #12 plus more this year and next, but the Pats didn't budge. I'm OK with it, especially since I think we got a guy who can be the edge rusher I wanted with that #12 pick down the road.

But what I can't get my head around is the meaning that decision implies. They didn't turn down those draft assets simply because they wanted the best back up possible for 2017. I can only conclude that they have made the decision that JG is going to be the next QB for the NE Patriots.....period.

So it seems, there is a good probability that this will be Tom Brady's last season with the team. That is a hard concept to digest. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is most logical conclusion. I know the fashionable narrative is that they will franchise JG in 2018, but while possible, the number will just be so restrictive, that it makes no sense for the rest of the team.

I wonder what Brady is thinking? I can't imagine he doesn't see the implications of the lack of a move. I can't imagine that Brady, BB and Kraft, haven't had a disucssion about it. And I can't imagine that it won't be a huge story line by the mediots the entire 2017 season, filled with rampant speculation. Because, we KNOW the Pats and Brady are never going to directly address it.
First of all, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Garoppolo's name hasn't come up in Brady's chats with BB and Kraft about his Patriots future. I think your biggest problem with Garoppolo is you're just not buying what he has to offer. And I'm not sure why, unless you don't know what to look for. Did you see what he did in college? Have you ever watched him closely in practice? You keep beating the drum "He only has played six quarters of football!" But obviously, the Patriots know what they have in this kid. I see something potentially pretty special.

Last edited:
I know everyone is riding high right now with the way this off season has gone, but it is important NOT to lose track of the fact that the margin of victory is still very thin in the NFL, and it doesn't take much to derail a season. ESPECIALLY when if you don't win the Superbowl the season will be a failure. So just a one game slip up can doom a season.

The fact is that the Pats will rarely line up against a team this fall whose physical talent will not be at LEAST as good as their's. And as much as we'd like to think the Pat's system and coaching is THAT much better than anyone else's, we'd best remember that they are paying those other guys a LOT of money too. So while I believe BB and his staff are the best in the league, the gap isn't as big as we'd like to think. (as we saw in the first half of the superbowl)

1 Concerns - Yes Martha, there ARE concerns.

a. The defensive line. Its solid and deeper now since the draft, but the fact remains that if we are honest, if you rated the DL's in the AFCE, ours would be ranked #4 based on Talent.
For things to go well this year a lot of things have to happen.

Malcolm Brown needs to raise the level of his play. Brown has been a solid NFL starting DT who has flashed on occasion. For the Pats DL to be successful he needs to "flash" a lot more this season.

Alan Branch - He needs to maintain the high level of play he showed last season. That isn't easy for a guy who will be 33 before the playoffs.

Vincent Valentine - He needs to make a solid 2nd year jump, especially if there is a decline in Branch's play.

Ealy and Guy have to make an impact right away. Both guys have flashed, but also have been up and down. They have to come in here and play consistently well. We all HOPE they will. We has some reason to EXPECT they will. But we don't KNOW they will. That's the concern that won't be answered until October.

b. The interior of the OL - We were OK last season, but when the chips were down in the superbowl our running game vanished, and it wasn't just LBG's fault. There were no holes. I'd be OK with David Andrews at C, but I'd be happier with an upgrade. His physical limitations make him a liability in the run game, and an issue against certain DLmen in pass protection. More and more 4-3 teams are lining up a DT or LB right on Andrews to push the pocket.

I'm sure there is a back up C on the team, but it's pretty much anyone's guess who it is. (Karras is my guess). We added 2 OT projects to a fairly stacked OT group, yet, so far, have completely ignored the interior OL depth.

Now this is kind of like the S situation. Because one one got hurt, we could see how the back ups would fare. Maybe they are happy with the current situaton, so my "concern" may be unwarranted. I hope so, but I'd feel a lot better if we signed Mangold.

c. The schedule: Looking at this schedule I can't imagine how FO's declared that the Pats had the easiest schedule this season. NFL.com just came out with their post draft rankings, and while I know it doesn't mean anything, it is interesting to note that of the top 13 teams on the list the Pats play 7 of them including #2 (Falcons) #3 (Steelers), and #4 (Raiders). That doesn't sound like a cake walk to me. (btw- the Pats were ranked #1)

Not only that - There is the issue of that 6 game stretch where they play 5 road games. This is a schedule anomoly that almost NEVER happens. I think twice in the last 20 years. And IIRC I don't think either team won more than 3 games. Think about it, that is almost 2 straight months on the road. :eek:

OK so there really are only 3 concerns, and compared to questions most teams have, they don't amount to much. I mean the DL, at worst will be OK, but will it be as good as it was last season, which ended up being OK, but not dominant. What we get from Guy, Ealy and Flowers will tell. btw- Flowers is going to have to raise HIS game as well. Teams are going to start looking for him as he will start the season as the Pats only proven pass rush threat.

2. Changes:

a. Football is ever cyclical. Alot of the new things we see from offenses like Carolina's have be taken almost directly from Single wing concepts of the 30's and 40's.

b. One of the reasons I worry about the DL is that I think the pendulum is going to start swinging back to the running game. The fact so many RB's were drafted in the first 3 rounds is a testiment to that fact. Since finding a good QB is so damned hard, teams are starting to realize that a good run game can cover a lot of QB sins (see Dallas, Titans, and even Buffalo). Also the move to smaller faster defenses who play nickel as their base make it prudent and easier to run the ball more. We can see it in our own off season planning with the additions of Burkhead and Gillislee. So watch for that change this season.

3. Still having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that JG is still here. I believe that Cleveland DID offer the #12 plus more this year and next, but the Pats didn't budge. I'm OK with it, especially since I think we got a guy who can be the edge rusher I wanted with that #12 pick down the road.

But what I can't get my head around is the meaning that decision implies. They didn't turn down those draft assets simply because they wanted the best back up possible for 2017. I can only conclude that they have made the decision that JG is going to be the next QB for the NE Patriots.....period.

I wonder what Brady is thinking? I can't imagine he doesn't see the implications of the lack of a move. I can't imagine that Brady, BB and Kraft, haven't had a disucssion about it. And I can't imagine that it won't be a huge story line by the mediots the entire 2017 season, filled with rampant speculation. Because, we KNOW the Pats and Brady are never going to directly address it.

I think this is my 10,000th post. That's a lot of crap I've written over the years. I hope some of it was at least interesting. And as usual, your comments and additions will make the thread better
Ten thousand posts! Well, that's the least you could do, considering that big contract you signed.

Last edited:
First, I think the Patriots are thin on pass rushers. That may be proven incorrect over the summer. I hope the young guys show up. The DTs are a nice mix of big guys and not quite so big guys, should provide solid run stuffing.

Second, the Patriots LB core lacks guys who can cover or be run stuffers sans Hightower and to a lesser extent Roberts.

Third, I am not as concerned about the interior of the OL. The guys are fairly young and it takes a while to fully develop. They have played well enough. More beef at the center position has always been something the Patriots have needed, yet they continue to put under sized guys out there. I love the tackle situation right now.

Finally, I completely agree that to give up the potential of 3 impact starters for a guy who may not even take a snap. That just doesn't make any sense to me. I hope the plan is for Jimmy to take over either in 2018 or 2019.

Thank you! Man, I kind of forget but that was from 2005 I think. I just found a pic of a Hasidic dude online and (badly) photoshopped the Pats logo on his hat.

Its more fun reading your posts believing that the picture is really you :D

Thank you! Man, I kind of forget but that was from 2005 I think. I just found a pic of a Hasidic dude online and (badly) photoshopped the Pats logo on his hat.

I wonder if he's ever visited the site?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST