PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts - the "we finally won one" edition

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
It is imprecise, or incomplete, to attribute the problem (such as it is) to "the rookie quarterback." There is a game plan, there are coaches, he has instructions from those coaches, there are ten other players on the field. Let's jack this chat up to an adult level, shall we?
Have you watched any film? Have you seen where Mac is staying conservative? Because an adult would come to an argument with knowledge vs. Whatever it was that you just mentally threw up

You give a rookie QB 2 years to develop. By year 3, you want him to perform as a top 10 QB in the league. If he keeps developing after that, he's top5.

Was Mac Jones Good Enough To Win? - YouTube

Here's a great breakdown, Mac is playing it super safe and mssing some definite throws down the field, at least with the Fins. I'm assuming he's in protect the ball at all costs mode.
I poster this last week in my thread and a poster took offense to it saying JT was biased and blaming Mac for the loss lol.

I actually understand why it would bother some. It's full of insight and knowledge and gods knows you don't get that here.

I poster this last week in my thread and a poster took offense to it saying JT was biased and blaming Mac for the loss lol.

I actually understand why it would bother some. It's full of insight and knowledge and gods knows you don't get that here.
I thought JT was a little biased on Mac coming out of college. He's calmed down a bit and I though that was a really objective review

Have you watched any film? Have you seen where Mac is staying conservative? Because an adult would come to an argument with knowledge vs. Whatever it was that you just mentally threw up
I probably watch more film than anyone here. I seriously doubt people are watching anything more than highlights. Mac has left more than a few plays on the field in both games. Not the worst thing in the world but he's missed a few open targets for explosive plays.

I actually just wrote about in my thread.

I probably watch more film than anyone here. I seriously doubt people are watching anything more than highlights. Mac has left more than a few plays on the field in both games. Not the worst thing in the world but he's missed a few open targets for explosive plays.

I 100% agree. My personal opinion is that Mac isn't trusting what his eyes tell him on thr field yet. And he's playing protect the ball at all costs. Once he starts to look at the film and see that what his he thought he saw in game is confirmed by the film, he'll start taking more shots.

That is a great video. Mac is picking the easy short throw over the longer throws - even if the guy open down the field is open. Sure sometimes its the protection - but not always. Josh is getting way to much heat with his play calling for Mac's super safe play. It's Mac that is making he super safe throw. McDaniels is not forcing him to throw it 3 yards..

Do you think this relates to those scouting concerns about upside/velocity? Or is this just a different issue altogether?

That is a great video. Mac is picking the easy short throw over the longer throws - even if the guy open down the field is open. Sure sometimes its the protection - but not always. Josh is getting way to much heat with his play calling for Mac's super safe play. It's Mac that is making he super safe throw. McDaniels is not forcing him to throw it 3 yards..
It's incredible how narratives get started but here we are. I mean Josh can only call the plays. He's not whispering in Mac's ear or telling Mac where to go or where not to go.

It's one thing to say "take what the defense gives you" ... Well if they're giving you space deep you have to execute.

I'm not getting on Mac bc I truly feel like I have a good understanding of who he is as a QB. Seeing a lot of my thoughts come to fruition with him on the field.

Do you think this relates to those scouting concerns about upside/velocity? Or is this just a different issue altogether?
He's definitely playing safe, no doubt about it. So a lot of it is just making it happen and attempting those passes.

The Agholor and Henry one's from Sunday stick out. Like he doesn't have that natural zip or velocity to where he sees it and bang - ball is loose. He has to get his feet set, load up and drive himself into that pass to make those throws. You saw in Wilson even though they were going to the other team. He doesn't have a cannon (although I heard he hit 60mph Sunday) but he hasn't natural arm talent, ability to launch from different angles.

Few and far between in terms of that stuff but yea it definitely shows up even compared to a Z Wilson or Murray. Just something that'll take a good year or two to really be + NFL level.

I probably watch more film than anyone here

Which is actually really pathetic how one can supposedly watch a lot of film and come way with so many wrong conclusions. But I guess that's what happens when someone's IQ level is capped at being a construction worker who doubles as a fake draft expert. Classic example of someone who tries but just doesn't have the talent or mental aptitude. I love that you made your avatar as a daily foot in the mouth for all of your wrong QB draft posts from 2020 to April'21. In a way it's admirable that you immediately dumped all your analysis at the drop of a hat, once the team did the exact opposite of whatever you said to do in the draft, I do admire this truly. You also serve as a conscientious re-tweeter of other people's thoughts, will give you that too.

Mac is making the right read most of the time. The OLine SUCKS where it's 4 Olinemen and a crappy right tackle. When you have zero time to throw the right play is get it out fast, a lot of short passes. Mac has a beautiful deep ball but it's not worth taking a viscous hit 9 times a game just to get your overrated oc his next HC job.

Having said this, it's also true Mac needed a year to get his body NFL ready. This is why him learning for a year wasn't a bad move, we're throwing the kid in when his body could have used a year to develop (and also work with Tom House). Was saying in pre-season he had to put all his body into throws to really get zip. It's not a huge problem as he has a great arcing deep ball and most other throws don't need to be bullet throws. He has excellent timing and anticipation. Mac can make all the throws. His arm strength is not the reason for the short passing game, it's the crappy OLine giving zero time.

Mac's arm strength isn't to blame for a ton of short quick throws, this is the right read when your OLine is total garbage right now. If skippy keeps calling shotgun but the OLine sucks, the right play is a quick throw. Mac is doing the right thing. It's not because his arm strength is insufficient because the fake-expert construction worker guy said so.

Last edited:
Mac is making the right read most of the time. The OLine SUCKS where it's 4 Olinemen and a crappy right tackle. When you have zero time to throw the right play is get it out fast, a lot of short passes. Mac has a beautiful deep ball but it's not worth taking a viscous hit 9 times a game just to get your overrated oc his next HC job.

Having said this, it's also true Mac needed a year to get his body NFL ready. This is why him learning for a year wasn't a bad move, we're throwing the kid in when his body could have used a year to develop (and also work with Tom House). Was saying in pre-season he had to put all his body into throws to really get zip. It's not a huge problem as he has a great arcing deep ball and most other throws don't need to be bullet throws. He has excellent timing and anticipation. Mac can make all the throws. His arm strength is not the reason for the short passing game, it's the crappy OLine giving zero time.

Mac's arm strength isn't to blame for a ton of short quick throws, this is the right read when your OLine is total garbage right now. If skippy keeps calling shotgun but the OLine sucks, the right play is a quick throw. Mac is doing the right thing. It's not because his arm strength is insufficient because the fake-expert construction worker guy said so.
Which is actually really pathetic how one can supposedly watch a lot of film and come way with so many wrong conclusions. But I guess that's what happens when someone's IQ level is capped at being a construction worker who doubles as a fake draft expert. Classic example of someone who tries but just doesn't have the talent or mental aptitude. I love that you made your avatar as a daily foot in the mouth for all of your wrong QB draft posts from 2020 to April'21. In a way it's admirable that you immediately dumped all your analysis at the drop of a hat, once the team did the exact opposite of whatever you said to do in the draft, I do admire this truly. You also serve as a conscientious re-tweeter of other people's thoughts, will give you that too.

This is definitely in buddy's room. IMG_20210921_201129.jpg

1. It was probably created by a Broncos or St Louis Rams fan, there were many fan blogs dedicated to the firing of the worst HC or OC in their franchise history.

2. It's absolutely fabulous that your avatar is an admission of your total draft eval failure, but you still can't help yourself so have still been adding in these little quips about Mac's arm strength. I love it. What a conflicted feeling you have. A pathetic attempt to troll, but you were dead wrong on the guy, and now still trying to add about all the crappy little critiques you had about the guy to keep saying don't draft him. Juggling all these mental contradictions must be hard for a construction worker.

Here's Lazar, with a similar (albeit a bit less sophisticated) breakdown of Mac's throws against Miami:

Interesting comparing the analysis between Lazar and QBSchool on one play (Agholor seam route). Lazar thought the pump fake was to clear the LB (#55) but QBSchool thought the pump fake was counterproductive and downright unnecessary as it brought the safety JMac #30 into the play. Leaning towards Lazar there.

You really are an ass.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back