PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the ugly win edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Addendum: David Harris played 21 of 51 snaps..

Sorry to hear about the numbness in your foot and neck, at least you're not a numbnuts.

Thank you as always for the write up.

Nerve damage is a tough thing. Supposedly it can never heal but sometimes it just does. The neck and calf are somehow linked as my acupuncturist will massage a spot in my calf to release a knot in my neck.

A very enjoyable 6-2! Defense appears to be progressively improving. Winning in low scoring games is ugly and nerve racking, but, for me, quite satisfying . I recall that 2003 was an emotional roller-coaster! 2017 has a little bit of that feel.

Brady appears to me to be inaccurate (for Brady) for several consecutive quarters now. Mechanics? Left shoulder affecting him adversely? I'm hopeful he will figure it out.

I think Patricia is out-coaching McDaniels in these last few weeks. That said, IMO the Pats coaching remains "best in league", by a wide margin. Ivan Fears must be having lots of fun this season, as this RB group is really stepping up.

Special teams play is "really special!" Slater looks back from his hamstring!

Defense playing with more emotion and fire these last few weeks.

Fun to watch!

Go Pats.

Ironically “ugly win“ seems to correspond more with your hospital experience than Pats game. I wish you get your leg and independence back soon and that you put as much thought and effort in your rehab as you do in your idle thoughts.

I enjoyed this win actually.

For the second time in a row Pats were in control of the game for 60 minutes (and both were projected toughest games) . starting from that monster Reilly's ST stop on first play to set the trend of amazing ST game and making it clear again that next man up is a real thing.

I loved the game plan design and despite up and down execution (from poor to excellent incl. TB) it was a joy to watch puppet-master BB at work.

After losing Hightower (and missing Brown, Gilmore and then also Cannon) this game was as much about going forward . and it was a solid statement that this team is for real no matter what.

I wish Roberts would get more credit here. He was “single handedly“ stopping first LAC attacks and set the tone of the D without High. His work through front 7 traffic is amazing.

I have to state my own “mea culpa“ re Waddle. He stepped up big time yesterday for Cannon and at RT which I thought was his lesser strength giving his lack of athleticism. I was happy to see some reassurance there not only for this season but possibly also in view of uncertain tackle situation for next year.

Loved the return of Burkhead as well. He is so unique in his movements, tough as Jules and makes play action even more of a weapon.

One of the plays of the game came from Harris at the end of 3rd Q: recognizes play action pass play before snap and easily breaks it up showing brain and experience can be faster than legs..

And the most hated guy here - Jordan Richards - continues to make plays when his number is called besides being a great STer.

This is still a deep, dependable roster of smart, mature, solid players. Some here call them JAGs. I call them Pats players.

I would really like when the Pats go into a heavy run formation that OCCASIONALLY they threw a dump off to Devlin, who has good hands. He'd be open every time. Not much imagination by Josh there.
This. PLEASE !!!

10. If Hogan is gone long term and Mitchell not coming back Dorsett is the next man up. He has all the athletic ability in the world but I have little faith he can give 75% of Hogan. I think it might be a week to week matchup who splits wide in that scenario. Against a smaller CB maybe put Gronk out there and have him box out a lot. Against an elite corner just have Dorsett run him long all day. Maybe one of the RBs against the taller CBs running in routes.

There was a play in the 3rd quarter (I think) where Dorsett and Cooks lined up to the left. No one was covering Dorsett...and we ran the ball. There were many other plays where Cooks was 1-on-1 with a corner with only a safety at midfield and not once did they take a shot. I am guessing they didn't think they had time for downfield plays because of the pass rush.

Praying for a full recovery, Ken!

Nice summary, Ken.
Yeah, it's a ***** getting old. Despite blocked left coronary artery, et. al., I decided not to let them operate, fearing unintended consequences. Now I'm dealing with completely different other stuff again. Great to have things like the Pats to occupy your mind.
Hopes & prayers for your continued recovery. Make it happen.

I think most would take a 6-2 record considering how they started. Second half of the schedule will be challenging. Need our offense to play better.

Ken said nobody is happy with where the Patriots are at. I'm very happy at 6-2. I'd rather be 8-0, but given everything, I'm perfectly happy at 6-2. Brady is playing like an MVP, the defense has shown TREMENDOUS improvement, and they're winning games. On pace for 12-4 is just fine thank you.

As usual thanks for the excellent analysis. We all look forward to your post game insight. I hope you feel better and recover from the surgery.

Not sure I see the jets the same way you do. They are 3-5 and beat cutler, bottles and the browns.
I see very few wins left on their schedule.
I see a top 5 pick and a new coaching staff heading their way.
I see that being a big mistake by the jets, though you are probably right. That's what the Jets do

Sorry to hear about the surgery, Ken. Nerve damage really is a bummer -- you can't work it back. I can tell you that after 14 years.

But the good news is that you can still often do a lot without having the nerves working at 100%.

If you haven't got a really first-rate physiotherapist/personal trainer/dietician/yoga teacher, get one. Fortunately, there are a lot of good ones in the Boston area.

I see that being a big mistake by the jets, though you are probably right. That's what the Jets do
What being a big mistake? Firing a poor coach?

Ironically “ugly win“ seems to correspond more with your hospital experience than Pats game. I wish you get your leg and independence back soon and that you put as much thought and effort in your rehab as you do in your idle thoughts.

I enjoyed this win actually.

For the second time in a row Pats were in control of the game for 60 minutes (and both were projected toughest games) . starting from that monster Reilly's ST stop on first play to set the trend of amazing ST game and making it clear again that next man up is a real thing.

I loved the game plan design and despite up and down execution (from poor to excellent incl. TB) it was a joy to watch puppet-master BB at work.

After losing Hightower (and missing Brown, Gilmore and then also Cannon) this game was as much about going forward . and it was a solid statement that this team is for real no matter what.

I wish Roberts would get more credit here. He was “single handedly“ stopping first LAC attacks and set the tone of the D without High. His work through front 7 traffic is amazing.

I have to state my own “mea culpa“ re Waddle. He stepped up big time yesterday for Cannon and at RT which I thought was his lesser strength giving his lack of athleticism. I was happy to see some reassurance there not only for this season but possibly also in view of uncertain tackle situation for next year.

Loved the return of Burkhead as well. He is so unique in his movements, tough as Jules and makes play action even more of a weapon.

One of the plays of the game came from Harris at the end of 3rd Q: recognizes play action pass play before snap and easily breaks it up showing brain and experience can be faster than legs..

And the most hated guy here - Jordan Richards - continues to make plays when his number is called besides being a great STer.

This is still a deep, dependable roster of smart, mature, solid players. Some here call them JAGs. I call them Pats players.
Agree wholeheartedly that I didn’t find this an ugly win but a comfortable one where we were in control.
The offense is right on the cusp. They are moving the ball consistently but having that one misfire that kills the drive. That will get fixed and start showing up in the points column.

I have probably been one of the most critical posters and hostile when it comes to Van Noy. I have said time and again him being a starter is a bad sign. Even I will admit he played very well yesterday. I am still not on the Van Noy wagon but if he can string more like that together we will see.

Sorry to hear about your medical situation Ken. I will say though that medicine is advancing all the time and hopefully something can be done about the damage that was done to your body in the future.

Last edited:
The offense is right on the cusp. They are moving the ball consistently but having that one misfire that kills the drive. That will get fixed and start showing up in the points column.

I hope you're right!

BB's presser was interesting, for those who like to read between the lines.

First, he really likes this team -- once again referred to how hard they work and how much they put into things during the week.

Second, he did something he almost never does -- referred to injuries. He didn't come out directly, but it was clearly a reference to Hightower when he said it had been a "very emotional week".

Third -- again something he rarely does -- he admitted that specific areas are problems. the red zone and big plays on defense. Not that that wasn't obvious. But normally, the mantra in public is: "We've all got to do a better job: offense, defense, special teams, coaching".

I hope you're right!

BB's presser was interesting, for those who like to read between the lines.

First, he really likes this team -- once again referred to how hard they work and how much they put into things during the week.

Second, he did something he almost never does -- referred to injuries. He didn't come out directly, but it was clearly a reference to Hightower when he said it had been a "very emotional week".

Third -- again something he rarely does -- he admitted that specific areas are problems. the red zone and big plays on defense. Not that that wasn't obvious. But normally, the mantra in public is: "We've all got to do a better job: offense, defense, special teams, coaching".
I dont know, Ive heard him list specific areas that were bad in almost every post game press conference.

It would be nice to see the Pats cruise to a win without all the breath holding on my part :)

Having a 2 score lead inside 2 minutes and the Patriots have the ball driving in the opponents territory would be nice, but that would be asking too much,,,LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots