PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the TOTAL team loss edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
right, and they held the bills to 1 td and 3 fg.

You know the defense might have had an even better day if 1.) special teams didn't play like they were from Houston and 2.)the offense could manage to convert a third down.

The D was on the field for about 40 minutes, and gave up just one TD.

Definitely NOT the direction to be pissing in imo.

It basically played out like I thought it would. JV offense (at zero fault of Brissett) and the D would get gassed. They played okay considering the O never really gave them a chance.

It basically played out like I thought it would. JV offense (at zero fault of Brissett) and the D would get gassed. They played okay considering the O never really gave them a chance.
:confused: Brissett is the main reason the offense didn't do anything. If you want to say it wasn't his fault because he isn't ready, that I can agree with.

Ths
:confused: Brissett is the main reason the offense didn't do anything. If you want to say it wasn't his fault because he isn't ready, that I can agree with.

That's what I mean. He isn't close to ready. Not his fault in that regard.

We really shouldn't have been surprised at the badness of the offense:

Second half of MIA game it did basically nothing (though to be fair, that was a "oh crap -- no one was expecting JB to be thrown in there with no practice" situation).

Let's be honest about the HOU game. One TD was a 27yd play right after a fumbled kickoff. Another TD came on another very short field after a fumbled kickoff. And the final TD drive included a 41yd play. And that was against an overrated HOU defense with an injured Watt that had a short week to prepare. If the NE defense played like it did today that is a much tighter game with a reasonable possibility of being a loss.

So what was really there to lead one to believe that it'd get sustained movement against a better defense that had a full week to prepare?

I'm much more upset at the D, refs, and ST than I am at the O.

More disturbingly to me, the D got gashed during key parts of the ARI game, the whole second half of the MIA game, and when it mattered today.

Last edited:

Second half of MIA game it did basically nothing (though to be fair, that was a "oh crap -- no one was expecting JB to be thrown in there with no practice" situation).

Let's be honest about the HOU game. One TD was a 27yd play right after a fumbled kickoff. Another TD came on another very short field after a fumbled kickoff. And the final TD drive included a 41yd play. And that was against an overrated HOU defense with an injured Watt that had a short week to prepare. If the NE defense played like it did today that is a much tighter game with a reasonable possibility of being a loss.

So what was really there to lead one to believe that it'd get sustained movement against a better defense that had a full week to prepare?

More disturbingly to me, the D got gashed during key parts of the ARI game, the whole second half of the MIA game, and when it matter today.

Today was a sign of a lack of leadership. TB12 offers much more than just play on the field. He brings fire. He brings intensity. That alone can work wonders. I trust his presence alone will make the team peform better as a whole.

The Pats needed another special teams TD, A defensive turnover deep in Bills territory or a defensive TD in order to win this game. You cant count on those plays happening in any given game, and because the Bills didn't help us out with dumb plays, we couldn't win with a 3rd string rookie who has a banged up thumb.

Also pats had lots of penalties and a couple key drops. Nothing really went are way this game.

Not to mention a missed FG.. Not a good game by the Pats but they probably would have lost anyway.. the only thing I found concerning was how the defense played.. poor tackling and giving up chunk yardage.

Pats almost always have one game every season where you wonder what high school team they got to fill in for the day. This was the day. The whole team stunk on ice.

Games 1 through 4 were real. They were fun. But they weren't real fun. Bring in the GOAT and getcha popcorn ready. It's about to get crazy!

right, and they held the bills to 1 td and 3 fg.

You know the defense might have had an even better day if 1.) special teams didn't play like they were from Houston and 2.)the offense could manage to convert a third down.

The D was on the field for about 40 minutes, and gave up just one TD.

Definitely NOT the direction to be pissing in imo.

well Rodney Harrison just said the pats defense was simply not good today.

against a better offense, this D would have been smoked.

More disturbingly to me, the D got gashed during key parts of the ARI game, the whole second half of the MIA game, and when it matter today.

Totally agree. I am simply amazed at how people are just looking at the points allowed and simply saying the D did ok today. This team has not faced a good offense so far - Arizona is 1-3 now so I'm not sure you can count them/

Part of me wonders if the team just overlooked Buffalo and bought the media hype that they were 3-0 without brady and that "only buffalo" was next.

If Brady played today he would have lit the jills up and they would have scored less than 16 points because the defense wouldn't have had to keep going back on the field every 2 minutes.

If Brady played today he would have lit the jills up and they would have scored less than 16 points because the defense wouldn't have had to keep going back on the field every 2 minutes.

i'll rodney's opinion over yours.

Totally agree. I am simply amazed at how people are just looking at the points allowed and simply saying the D did ok today. This team has not faced a good offense so far - Arizona is 1-3 now so I'm not sure you can count them/

Part of me wonders if the team just overlooked Buffalo and bought the media hype that they were 3-0 without brady and that "only buffalo" was next.
I dont think this team will buy any hype with BB around. Just played bad. If they had made just 1 play e.g scored a TD on the drive when brissett fumbled , the game wouldve changed, their attitude wouldve changed. They just didnt do it.
It was telling that the first thing BB said after the game was "we are a better football team than that". He almost never says that ever.Just a bad day from coaching to the players. Its possible that midway through the game, brady's return crossed their mind and they subconsciously let up.Its natural. They couldve let up after the miami game but didnt.

Well 16 pts is decent IMO and the defense stuck to its plan. They didnt make any tackles which prolonged drives, made stupid penalties which allowed them to convert third downs. All these are correctable. There werent a ton of blown coverages with big plays being made one after the other. Credit the bills, they were patient and taylor was too which is what BB wasnt counting on. If pats had scored that TD instead of fumbling, taylor wouldve been under different pressure on the road..

And If they played against a better/different offense , they wouldve played differently. Its hard to compare game to game.

Love it, I've thrown an iPad in disgust like that during a game. It feels pretty good, surprisingly didn't break it. Wonder if that tablet made it through

i'll rodney's opinion over yours.
It was more than obvious that the defense played poorly. They couldn't even tackle anyone today. I can't remember a game where I saw them miss so many tackles.

They allowed Tyrod Taylor to look good (enough) while controlling the flow of the game. They weren't particularly effective stopping the run or the pass. They didn't create turnovers, sacks, or opportunities.

They did one thing right, and that was rebound from a first half where they were on pace to give up 26 points.

Special teams took a big stepback today. Cyrus Jones had a rough time on the first two KO's and muffs a punt. Ghost missed his FG. Allen was the one bright spot.

Amendola also muffed a punt.

Every year, there is one of these games where everything was just kinda off. The offense had three good chances to put points on the board and came away with a fumble, a missed FG, and a turnover on downs. The D whiffed on a lot of tackles, but did come together in the second half. Cyrus Jones couldn't get out of his own way. There were a **** ton of penalties; some well deserved, some not.

This isn't the team we're going to see going forward. It's an anomaly.

Starting out on the 9 yd line didn't help, in addition to the missed tackles the poor field position kept JMD from letting the O go. The penalty on the 90yd Edelman play didn't help. I get the hold but didn't see a pick on that play.

I was pissed onm 2 non calls for roughing the passer on the Bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3