PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the TOTAL team loss edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last week the Pats won a big game when they played the definition of a complimentary football game where all 3 units made big contributions throughout the game. Today, especially in the first half, all three units made MAJOR mistakes and they contributed greatly to the result that we got. So lets get started.

1 The defense

a. The first half: It was simply horrible. Buffalo came into this game with the worst 3rd down success percentage in the entire F*cking league, and went 3 for 3 on the first TD drive. The tackling was horrible. Collins missed 2 T's I can remember of hand, where he wasn't square to the ball carrier and got beaten. But he wasn't alone.

This was supposed to be one of the best defenses in the league and only time the Buffalo punter got on the field was the last one of the half, and they had 3 first downs on that one. IMHO, the defense was trying to make the BIG play when they need to take the play the Bills were giving them.

b. You also have to tip you cap sometimes. The Bill were simply more prepared for what the Pats were going to do, than the Pats were for what the Bills presented. I was less concerned about the first TD drives than I was with the 3 others that followed in the first 2 quarters. Usually we adjust faster than that.

The end result was a 13 nothing deficit, and a HUGE time of possession issue, even though we had one more possession than they did.

c.2nd half - I expected to see a better job by everyone on the defense the 2nd half, and I wasn't disappointed. Giving up just 3 points in the final 2 quarters is a solid job. Good, but not great, or rather not as good as it should have been.

d. I don't know if the difference was Bill getting them together and saying "Just calm the f*ck down and do your jobs", or Matty made some subtle adjustments, or they just saw what the Bills did and reacted better

e. Tackling was the key negative. There is nothing a DC can do if he has a person in the right place and they simply miss the tackle. That happened way too often in the first half. It was much better in the 2nd EXCEPT on at least 2 occasions where they had Taylor dead to rights, with both hands on him, and let him slip away (Long and Collins IIRC)

f. The defense caused zero turnovers. When the offense is hobbled, the defense has to pick them up with a TO or 2. The Pats didn't start a single drive in Buffalo territory this game.

g. Now if you just look at the defense. Allowing Buffalo just 13 points when they got over 370 yds of total offense, is actually pretty good, especially when you are only getting about 290 out of your offence and about 70% of that came in the 2nd half

h. In the end I'm a lot less panicky about the defense than I was at the half. Give the OC some credit, they showed some new and inventive looks at the Pats that worked for most of the first half.

2. The offense;

a. The good stuff about Jacoby Brissett- 1) he was better throwing the ball this week than last. You always want to see that in a young player. 2:He had some nice throws that were caught and some that just missed. 3)He doubled his passing yards and threw the ball down field with some authority. 4).Most of the time he had pretty good pocket awareness and stepped up well. 5) JB is a tough SOB. He took some big hits and got up and took the next snap, and never showed signs of happy feet or skittishness.

b. The bad stuff about Jacoby Brissett. 1) Sometimes he looked like a goddamned rookie out there.;) 2) Except for the dump offs to the RB's, he rarely threw the ball in rhythm, so lots of times the ball got there late. 3) While he had good pocket awareness and stepped up well and didn't panic in the pocket, BUTwhen he did step up he often took to0 long to find his 2ndary receivers. All stuff you would figure a rookie QB would do, especially one that, except for 3 walkthroughs for game 3, has never been the one guy taking first team snaps. 4) You don't throw jump balls to Danny Amendola Gronk Bennett and MAYBE Hogan are guys to do that with.

c. RB's Nothing bad you can say for the RB's except for the Boldin's n ar miss. Blunt was as good as ever in limited carries (13) White did his thing as well.

d.OL - Rex presents some difficult problems for any OL, with multiple looks and blitz packages. So over all I thought the OL did pretty well. Remember one of their 2 sacks came when the sacker wasn't supposed to be blocked and had great recognition on the play. A more experienced QB would have thrown the ball away.

e. TE's Gronk was again pretty invisible, though the way he made a tough catch look so easy makes me glad Brady will be back tomorrow. Bennett had over 100 again today. When he a Gronk get fully integrated into the offense, it's going to be a nightmare for DC's to scheme for.

g. WR's, NO ONE is going to be happier to see Tom Brady than Julian Edelman. Hogan got blanked, which will probably thrill Bill fans. So did Mitchell, according to the stats, though I thought he had one.

f. general: Blount had 3 catches in 3 targets today, but only 4 yards. He seems much surer this year in catching the ball. I would hope that, now that Brady is back, Josh would look to use LBG more in the passing game once in a while. The only passes we seem to do now ,when he is in there are play action passes. We need to break that tendency.

3. Special Teams:

a) Like I said, this was a TOTAL team loss, and blunders on special teams were huge;

b) Cyrus Jones is going to get killed the week for his blunders on the first 2 KO's. BTW- it goes the intelligence of Pats fans they the cheered the next 2 times when he kneeled down ;) IMHO, It looked to me like a case where a rookie's ego to make the big play got in the way of good situational football. No one can doubt that he CAN be a true return threat on both punts an KO's, but what he did today was NOT good situational football.

c. Now lets be real here, kicking a 49 yd FG is NOT a gimme by any means. HOWEVER if you are going to win a game like today, you have to get more out of your best players, and that means Gotkowski needs to make even the HARD kicks.

d. Ryan Allen was the best Pats player on the field today. He alone duplicated that great team victory over Houston.

4. The officiating:

a. WAY too man flags in general today. It's not supposed to be about the officials. So this group was bad regardless of whose team you followed.

b. NFL.com had the Bills getting 6 for 60 yds while the Pats got 9 for 74. But it seemed like a lot more flags than just 15. Just looking at the differential, it didn't seem like it was that even while I watched the game. Also the Pats were victims of a couple of non-calls at critical times that would have changed things. The end result is that in a game like this one when you know you aren't going to be close to 100% on offense, you CAN'T give up 74 yards on penalties, most of which were on the offense.

In the first half the Bills overcame big penalty situations twice, where the Pats never did.

5. General points:

a. On the plus side, I won't have to hear any 16-0 crap any more this year. On the negative, I will have to hear all the speculative **** the media will spew out this week. But really I won't, because the only place I plan to go this week for any news is right here.

b. To me the biggest disappointment about JG not playing was not getting 4 more quarters of value added on to what was already there. I feel bad for the kid, he deserved better. I'm sure he was devastated when he was ruled out. Maybe things will go well enough that he can get the start in week 17. If he was healthy enough to play we probably would have won this game.

c. I'll say it right now, I do not think we are going to see a 100% Tom Brady for at least a month. That is not saying that what we do get for this month won't be better than what we had at the position so far, but Brady isn't a guy who can just jump in and play. There is a reason he loves practice so much. He NEEDS it and he hasn't had it the past month and didn't get the all the snaps he needed in the preseason for the obvious reasons. So while I'm sure he's be "ok" the next few week, I believe we won't get VINTAGE Tom Brady until November. Hope I'm wrong here.

d.Happy that the Jets and Ravens lost. I don't care about what Denver does because I believe we will beat them in Denver this year.\

e. Did you guys get the feeling that Rex knew JG wasn't playing long before our mediots did. I did.

f. Now all that's left to do is to figure out who is going to be gone tomorrow and will they make it back to the PS.

g. I'm sure it was cigars and brandy all around at 354 Park avenue this afternoon, but their joy is going to be as short lived as Rex's Now I'm not a guy who believes Tom is going to come back like an avenging angel, Tom coming back just being Tom is good enough for me. I don't see this team losing more than 2 more games this season, and that's being conservative. God forgive me, but I hate those SOB's

h. The Pats have now lost the penalty numbers in 3 out of their first 4 games. It will be interesting to see if the trend continues

I look forward to your replies. It's nice to get this done before midnight for a change. ;)

What did Cyrus Jones do? I didn't see the game. Makes the game feel less real that I didn't see it, probably a good thing lol...

What did Cyrus Jones do? I didn't see the game. Makes the game feel less real that I didn't see it, probably a good thing lol...

Opening kickoff, he took it about 2 yards deep in the end zone. He ran it out to the 1, realized it was a mistake, and decided to try to down it. Then he realized he was out of the end zone and can't down it at that point. So then he started to run forward again. Got tackled at the 9. Just really poor awareness of his surroundings.

2nd kickoff he also took 2 yards deep. This time he didn't hesitate in deciding to take it out, but Buffalo's kick coverage team was already deep down the field. He got tackled at the 13. He shouldn't have taken this one out at all either, Buffalo was too far down the field.

Opening kickoff, he took it about 2 yards deep in the end zone. He ran it out to the 1, realized it was a mistake, and decided to try to down it. Then he realized he was out of the end zone and can't down it at that point. So then he started to run forward again. Got tackled at the 9. Just really poor awareness of his surroundings.

2nd kickoff he also took 2 yards deep. This time he didn't hesitate in deciding to take it out, but Buffalo's kick coverage team was already deep down the field. He got tackled at the 13. He shouldn't have taken this one out at all either, Buffalo was too far down the field.
Hasn't he muffed a few returns this season too? I'm baffled that he's still out there returning anything. Sounds like he clearly isn't ready.

Sorry everyone, this game was an anomaly.....little from it can be leveraged towards future trends

Let the idiot world think Rex has it together

b. To me the biggest disappointment about JG not playing was not getting 4 more quarters of value added on to what was already there. I feel bad for the kid, he deserved better. I'm sure he was devastated when he was ruled out. Maybe things will go well enough that he can get the start in week 17. If he was healthy enough to play we probably would have won this game.

Let's be honest, Ken. If the past is any indication, the only way he starts Week 17 is if Brady is unable to. Heck, you have to wonder why Brady is so insistent on staying in games even when it's a blowout. Maybe more playing time for Garoppolo in '14 or '15 would have helped him learn to take a hit better.

Hasn't he muffed a few returns this season too? I'm baffled that he's still out there returning anything. Sounds like he clearly isn't ready.

He was a special teams maven in college. Really a surprise he's having such a hard time adjusting to the pros. I think he made a few mistakes early in training camp, and is probably thinking too much now instead of trusting his instincts. Hopefully he can get over it.

This was supposed to be one of the best defenses in the league and only time the Buffalo punter got on the field was the last one of the half, and they had 3 first downs on that one. IMHO, the defense was trying to make the BIG play when they need to take the play the Bills were giving them.

Tackling was atrocious throughout the game with Hightower being the biggest offender from what I have seen during the broadcast. He seems to be pretty limited against RBs that can cut sharply right now and I wonder if the coaching staff didn't miscalculate by putting him out there. I'd rather have someone that is 70% of Hightower but healthy than 70% of Hightower.

c.2nd half - I expected to see a better job by everyone on the defense the 2nd half, and I wasn't disappointed. Giving up just 3 points in the final 2 quarters is a solid job. Good, but not great, or rather not as good as it should have been.

The biggest issue that kept coming up even in the second half was again bad tackling. There were a handful of sacks right there for the taking but instead Buffalo converted for additional first downs.

I feel that this is a game that will make the coaching staff go back to the fundamentals because if you can't get those right you won't win anything.

Tackling was the key negative. There is nothing a DC can do if he has a person in the right place and they simply miss the tackle. That happened way too often in the first half. It was much better in the 2nd EXCEPT on at least 2 occasions where they had Taylor dead to rights, with both hands on him, and let him slip away (Long and Collins IIRC)

Bingo.

I said it before but all in all JB played "ok" throughout 2.5 games. His playbook was definitely limited so going 3:1 with 2.5 games being played by him is quite agreeable. He has his mechanical issues as well as needs to make better decisions in terms of risk/reward but like you say he is a rookie and by no means game ready.

The lack of effort and execution on our side was best exemplified by multiple formation penalties. It was a pretty bad game but couldn't have come at a better time. This game will give enough material for BB for the rest of the year to keep everyone on their toes and Brady coming back will increase the intensity factor another few magnitudes.

Either way, I am moving on to a world where Brady is the QB of the Patriots. Today's game is really not worth the effort some people - and especially you Ken - put in to write long posts about it.

He was a special teams maven in college. Really a surprise he's having such a hard time adjusting to the pros. I think he made a few mistakes early in training camp, and is probably thinking too much now instead of trusting his instincts. Hopefully he can get over it.

Must be mental because he actually looked pretty good on returns the few times he got a chance to run.

He was a special teams maven in college. Really a surprise he's having such a hard time adjusting to the pros

In college he's two steps faster and quicker than 80% of his competition. He can screw up on the 1 and still get out to the 30 in college with his skills (plus he was on a team filled with someday pros).

Plus he had pre-season success (again against scrubs) - hopefully this will humble him, but you never know.

Last week the Pats won a big game when they played the definition of a complimentary football game where all 3 units made big contributions throughout the game. Today, especially in the first half, all three units made MAJOR mistakes and they contributed greatly to the result that we got. So lets get started.

1 The defense

a. The first half: It was simply horrible. Buffalo came into this game with the worst 3rd down success percentage in the entire F*cking league, and went 3 for 3 on the first TD drive. The tackling was horrible. Collins missed 2 T's I can remember of hand, where he wasn't square to the ball carrier and got beaten. But he wasn't alone.

b. You also have to tip you cap sometimes. The Bill were simply more prepared for what the Pats were going to do, than the Pats were for what the Bills presented. I was less concerned about the first TD drives than I was with the 3 others that followed in the first 2 quarters. Usually we adjust faster than that.

The end result was a 13 nothing deficit, and a HUGE time of possession issue, even though we had one more possession than they did.

d. I don't know if the difference was Bill getting them together and saying "Just calm the f*ck down and do your jobs", or Matty made some subtle adjustments, or they just saw what the Bills did and reacted better

e. Tackling was the key negative. There is nothing a DC can do if he has a person in the right place and they simply miss the tackle. That happened way too often in the first half. It was much better in the 2nd EXCEPT on at least 2 occasions where they had Taylor dead to rights, with both hands on him, and let him slip away (Long and Collins IIRC)

f. The defense caused zero turnovers. When the offense is hobbled, the defense has to pick them up with a TO or 2. The Pats didn't start a single drive in Buffalo territory this game.

g. Now if you just look at the defense. Allowing Buffalo just 13 points when they got over 370 yds of total offense, is actually pretty good, especially when you are only getting about 290 out of your offence and about 70% of that came in the 2nd half

h. In the end I'm a lot less panicky about the defense than I was at the half. Give the OC some credit, they showed some new and inventive looks at the Pats that worked for most of the first half.

2. The offense;

a. The good stuff about Jacoby Brissett- 1) he was better throwing the ball this week than last. You always want to see that in a young player. 2:He had some nice throws that were caught and some that just missed. 3)He doubled his passing yards and threw the ball down field with some authority. 4).Most of the time he had pretty good pocket awareness and stepped up well. 5) JB is a tough SOB. He took some big hits and got up and took the next snap, and never showed signs of happy feet or skittishness.

b. The bad stuff about Jacoby Brissett. 1) Sometimes he looked like a goddamned rookie out there.;) 2) Except for the dump offs to the RB's, he rarely threw the ball in rhythm, so lots of times the ball got there late. 3) While he had good pocket awareness and stepped up well and didn't panic in the pocket, BUTwhen he did step up he often took to0 long to find his 2ndary receivers. All stuff you would figure a rookie QB would do, especially one that, except for 3 walkthroughs for game 3, has never been the one guy taking first team snaps. 4) You don't throw jump balls to Danny Amendola Gronk Bennett and MAYBE Hogan are guys to do that with.

c. RB's Nothing bad you can say for the RB's except for the Boldin's n ar miss. Blunt was as good as ever in limited carries (13) White did his thing as well.

d.OL - Rex presents some difficult problems for any OL, with multiple looks and blitz packages. So over all I thought the OL did pretty well. Remember one of their 2 sacks came when the sacker wasn't supposed to be blocked and had great recognition on the play. A more experienced QB would have thrown the ball away.

e. TE's Gronk was again pretty invisible, though the way he made a tough catch look so easy makes me glad Brady will be back tomorrow. Bennett had over 100 again today. When he a Gronk get fully integrated into the offense, it's going to be a nightmare for DC's to scheme for.

g. WR's, NO ONE is going to be happier to see Tom Brady than Julian Edelman. Hogan got blanked, which will probably thrill Bill fans. So did Mitchell, according to the stats, though I thought he had one.

f. general: Blount had 3 catches in 3 targets today, but only 4 yards. He seems much surer this year in catching the ball. I would hope that, now that Brady is back, Josh would look to use LBG more in the passing game once in a while. The only passes we seem to do now ,when he is in there are play action passes. We need to break that tendency.

3. Special Teams:

a) Like I said, this was a TOTAL team loss, and blunders on special teams were huge;

b) Cyrus Jones is going to get killed the week for his blunders on the first 2 KO's. BTW- it goes the intelligence of Pats fans they the cheered the next 2 times when he kneeled down ;) IMHO, It looked to me like a case where a rookie's ego to make the big play got in the way of good situational football. No one can doubt that he CAN be a true return threat on both punts an KO's, but what he did today was NOT good situational football.

c. Now lets be real here, kicking a 49 yd FG is NOT a gimme by any means. HOWEVER if you are going to win a game like today, you have to get more out of your best players, and that means Gotkowski needs to make even the HARD kicks.

d. Ryan Allen was the best Pats player on the field today. He alone duplicated that great team victory over Houston.

4. The officiating:

a. WAY too man flags in general today. It's not supposed to be about the officials. So this group was bad regardless of whose team you followed.

b. NFL.com had the Bills getting 6 for 60 yds while the Pats got 9 for 74. But it seemed like a lot more flags than just 15. Just looking at the differential, it didn't seem like it was that even while I watched the game. Also the Pats were victims of a couple of non-calls at critical times that would have changed things. The end result is that in a game like this one when you know you aren't going to be close to 100% on offense, you CAN'T give up 74 yards on penalties, most of which were on the offense.

In the first half the Bills overcame big penalty situations twice, where the Pats never did.

5. General points:

a. On the plus side, I won't have to hear any 16-0 crap any more this year. On the negative, I will have to hear all the speculative **** the media will spew out this week. But really I won't, because the only place I plan to go this week for any news is right here.

c. I'll say it right now, I do not think we are going to see a 100% Tom Brady for at least a month. That is not saying that what we do get for this month won't be better than what we had at the position so far, but Brady isn't a guy who can just jump in and play. There is a reason he loves practice so much. He NEEDS it and he hasn't had it the past month and didn't get the all the snaps he needed in the preseason for the obvious reasons. So while I'm sure he's be "ok" the next few week, I believe we won't get VINTAGE Tom Brady until November. Hope I'm wrong here.

d.Happy that the Jets and Ravens lost. I don't care about what Denver does because I believe we will beat them in Denver this year.\

e. Did you guys get the feeling that Rex knew JG wasn't playing long before our mediots did. I did.

f. Now all that's left to do is to figure out who is going to be gone tomorrow and will they make it back to the PS.

g. I'm sure it was cigars and brandy all around at 354 Park avenue this afternoon, but their joy is going to be as short lived as Rex's Now I'm not a guy who believes Tom is going to come back like an avenging angel, Tom coming back just being Tom is good enough for me. I don't see this team losing more than 2 more games this season, and that's being conservative. God forgive me, but I hate those SOB's

h. The Pats have now lost the penalty numbers in 3 out of their first 4 games. It will be interesting to see if the trend continues

I look forward to your replies. It's nice to get this done before midnight for a change. ;)
I think brady wont be "back" until the steelers game or the next bills game. He is going to take some time. I expect gronk and edelman's #s to go up and bennett's to go down .I hope it doesnt happen but brady throws more to people he has played with longer until he builds some trust.
Next weeks browns game will be another "annoying" game I feel. They are 0-4 and going to empty everything they got. Considering how badly we handled the wildcat the couple of times it was shown today, expect a lot of touches for pryor as a QB.

I still feel our defense could be more aggresive. Maybe we just don't have the personnel. I remember a 2 and 22 and they when zone and it went for 23 yards. Still worried about these corners.

You are absolutely correct here. Tom has not had much preseason practice, and most of the reps in training camp went to JG. Brady is going to look rusty for a while and won't be "Brady" until the next Buffalo game or after the bye week when they play seattle. The problem is we play the steelers during this stretch. I'm not as worried about cleveland or cincinatti.

Last edited:
I still feel our defense could be more aggresive. Maybe we just don't have the personnel. I remember a 2 and 22 and they when zone and it went for 23 yards. Still worried about these corners.

this game reminded me of the miami game last year when you just scratched your head like WTH just happened. I really hope this game does not come and bite us in the rear for HFA.

I'll say it right now, I do not think we are going to see a 100% Tom Brady for at least a month. That is not saying that what we do get for this month won't be better than what we had at the position so far, but Brady isn't a guy who can just jump in and play. There is a reason he loves practice so much. He NEEDS it and he hasn't had it the past month and didn't get the all the snaps he needed in the preseason for the obvious reasons. So while I'm sure he's be "ok" the next few week, I believe we won't get VINTAGE Tom Brady until November. Hope I'm wrong here.

Gonna have to firmly disagree with this

this game reminded me of the miami game last year when you just scratched your head like WTH just happened. I really hope this game does not come and bite us in the rear for HFA.
That game was by choice , they were protecting their players and seemed to want to win only on their terms. Today we were playing a 3rd string rookie making ton of mistakes across the board.

When you have so many dropping back, these WRs shouldnt be this wide open. This is BB's game plan foreever vs mobile QB's . A reason geno smith doesnt sh*t the bed vs us but does vs all teams. I bet pryor next week will give us a lot of trouble if he plays the QB position because thats just BB's philosophy.

D was very passive today.

The personnel is of the attacking variety. Blackbeard needs to utilize them as such

I think brady wont be "back" until the steelers game or the next bills game. He is going to take some time. I expect gronk and edelman's #s to go up and bennett's to go down .I hope it doesnt happen but brady throws more to people he has played with longer until he builds some trust.
Next weeks browns game will be another "annoying" game I feel. They are 0-4 and going to empty everything they got. Considering how badly we handled the wildcat the couple of times it was shown today, expect a lot of touches for pryor as a QB.

I get what you are saying but I think that just Brady's decision making and quick release will make the offence work considerably better than anything we have seen for 3.5 games so far. I am excluding the half game Jimmy had against he Dolphins because that was a clinic that he can be proud of.

I think this will be more than enough to let us slip by the Browns and Bengals. Hopefully that's enough time for Brady to get into rhythm (like you suggested).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back