My superbowl run up has been absolutely ruined by all this media slander, I can't even think. I was going to do a post calling out Kraft (not Mr, not Bob, just Kraft), but was heartened to read that Shnessy had done a great one (great minds think alike ). I figured that would help, but by the end of the first page of comments I was STILL so angry I had to stop.
I had to take a drive this morning and looked forward to some superbowl talk on the radio, That lasted about 2 minutes before "deflate-gate" talk drove me to 105.7 for some 60's and 70's music to calm me down
I want to be talking about how to stop the read option, I don't want the hear my team knowingly slandered, have that slander acknowledged, and STILL get slandered again anyway.
There are close to 1500 posts on the "deflate gate" thread, I haven't read a single one. I know they would make my head explode. There are over 200 posts on Shmessy's "letter to Kraft" thread, of which I basically only read his OP (and it was good) So I ask for your indulgence. I'm sure much of what I will write will be redundant, though I hope I can add some insights that haven't been mentioned. But in the end I really need to put this down on paper, so to speak. Today you are all my therapists, and I thank you in advance.
1. I want to put the full blame for all of this directly where it belongs.....take a bow Bob Kraft. So here is MY open letter to Kraft. The one I was going to write before Shmess, beat me to it.
2. Well that made me feel a little bit better. Enough so I can go on. So again allow me to write down what I see "deflate gate as being.
a. According to the arch villain Kravitch, this is how it came down. After the Brady pick at the end of the half, the Colt bench got one of the 12 balls designated to the Pats. Supposedly they noticed the ball was "deflated", a bit. Called attention to the officials, and after the game demanded an investigation, which the league willingly obliged them.
b. The supposed advantage to the Pats would be to have a better grip with the softer ball
c. In the mean time, our own team is complicit with their silence, and allows to the rest of haters and mediot parasites to speculate at will and slander the team and its fan base at will. Let me know if I left anything out, but I think that's the gist. (BTW- I know all about the "chain of command", etc, but left it out.
3. If someone would give ME the opportunity to respond to this nonsense, I would say the following.:
a. I find it curious that Colts bench would find a significant enough discrepancy in how the ball was inflated, when the officials who CONSTANTLY were handling the Patriots balls throughout the entire first half, and had continuous access to them and NEVER noticed anything wrong.
b. Deflating the ball WOULD make it easier to grip, but as Zolack pointed out very early, it also makes it harder to "spin it". In other words harder to throw a crisp spiral.
c. If the ball was supposed to be an advantage to Brady, how come during the first half Brady had a very up and down game, and in the 3rd quarter AFTER the deception was supposedly uncovered, was 8-8 while they were blowing the Colts out of the game, in an almost flawless 2nd half.
d. Unless it was the officials who noticed the problem, for all I know it was the Colts bench that deflated the ball to deflect attention from the horrid game their team played. (BTW-very successfully so far)
4. The damage is done. I wont't matter a jot, if Roger Goodell comes down tomorrow and fully exonerates the Pats. According to Volin, national media believes that Goodell is in Kraft's pocket, even though the NEXT thing the league does that favors the Pats, will be the first one I can remember. (feel free to point out any others I've missed). Nothing that is said fully clears the Pats or changes people's view of the team.
So instead of admiring in amazement the LONG term accomplishments this franchise has achieved, instead there will be an eternal asterisk that will hover over it all.
5. I am furious of the Kraft's team wide policy of treating anything negative by simply pretending it isn't happening and saying as little as possible. When asked whether the Pats deflated the balls, BB feigned ignorance and deflected. When asked whether the Pats had deflated the balls, Brady feigned ignorance and deflected. Its what they do, where I would have hoped they would answer with a simple "yes" or "no" Now regardless of the outcome, the mediot parasites can simply frame their response by commenting, well they didn't deny it, so there must be some semblance of truth there, not matter how small, so I can now feel free to speculate anything I want, and keep a total non-story in the forefront of the news.
6. What I want to see happen:
a. I want to see Brady, BB and Kraft flat out deny it. Or if they are guilty admit it.
b. I want to see the Colts issue a public apology to the Pats.
c. I want to see Kravitz issue a public apology. Well actually I'd like to see him pilloried at Patriot Place and spat upon by small children. But I'd take an apology
d. I want to see the Irsay and his franchise fined and punished as a warning to other owners who attempt to unjustly slander one of their competitors.....and their fans
e. I want Goodell, Kraft and BB to finally give the full story of "spygate". If it was as we believe
a simple over reaction to BB's arrogance in ignoring the memo, I want it revealed. If the Pats WERE dong something wrong, I want it told. I FINALLY want a full explanation of what what happened and why., Not only are Pats fans due that, the entire league's fan base is. I am truly tired of trying to disprove a negative,.
f. I want Goodell to announce his retirement after the superbowl (well actually I want him unceremoniously, fired and kicked to the curb.) I want this arrogant and incompetent CEO of the league GONE.
6. And since I'm still in rant mode and anxious to talk about football if only for a minute, let me add this. I am ****ING tired of hearing about the great Seahawk defense. We have seen it become rather ordinary every time they've seen a decent offense and good QB. The quality of the QB's and offenses that they have played up until Sunday's game have been well documented on this site, so I won't repeat it.
But I will give you a stat that I heard this weekend that I found quite telling. I was listening when a mediot who was touting the dominance of the Seahawk defense used this stat. Over the last 6 games and the 2 playoff games, the Seahawks' D has allowed just 13 fourth quarter points....combined!
Believe me, I was impressed because that's an impressive number when you think about it. For EIGHT quarters, when the game is on the line the most, 14 combined points is truly an incredible number, right? UNTIL.....this factoid came out, offered, I have to admit by one of the other mediots.
There IS a team that actually has done BETTER than what the Seahawk D has accomplished. There IS another team, who over the exact same 8 fourth quarters managed to hold their opponents to a combined 13 points. That team, as you probably have already guessed, is our own NE Patriots. And we didn't accomplish our feat playing against rookies, back ups, back ups to back ups, Colin Kapernick, and Cam Newton. We did it playing Flacco, Luck, Rivers, Rodgers, and Stafford (OK we did play Geno, Orton, and Tannihill too, but you get the point. )
7. So when you are out there this week over the internet and fighting the good fight at your local wathering hole, don't let the meidot parasites try and con you into thinking the "Legion of Doom" is the next coming of the 85 Bears, or that the Seahawks are the more physical team because they played in the NFC. Just calmly point how how the Pats actually had the harder schedule and have already played at least 4 games against DL's that were better than what they will be facing in Feb. (maybe more)
8. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. While am still royally bummed out by all this crap, I DO feel better. Now I know why writers write. It does free the soul. Not better enough to read or participate in any "deflategate" talk or threads (though I will respond to comments in this thread), but better.
I'll try to do a "read option" thread, because I know the Seahawks are definitely going to use it. It really was the only thing that worked for them Sunday. I'll try to explain what THEY will be looking to do, and what could work to control, if not defeat it.
G'damn, man. You outdid me. Just perfect.
We deserve to enjoy this time.