PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the rant edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Jets are 3-3, far exceeding most fans expectations of that sorry franchise. The Pats are decimated like we haven’t seen since 2008. And yet for some reason I haven’t been able to get as fired up as usual about this bi-annual hate fest. So for the most part I will RANT. Rant about all things that are pissing me off right now.

1. Jetsinsider.com - I was one of the first Pats fans who accepted Sooth’s invitation to post on his Jets site back in early 2001. I enjoyed though many years of frustrating/entertaining times going back and forth with many Jet fans. I lost bets. I was banned (usually unjustly…but not always) But I kept going back…until this year.

This year, I rarely even went to the site, let alone posted. The Jets were just that uninteresting to me this season, except as comic relief. But this IS Jet week so I thought I go and get into it with Jet fans and discuss the coming game. Unfortunately between the delusional, unreasonable, and unsubstantiated hatred for all things Patriots, and the venal nature of the personal attacks it was impossible to even find a thread where a reasonable football discussion could be entered into.

Most of the guys I interacted with over the years have long gone. All that’s left there are pre-teens, psychotics, and internet tough guys who would pee their pants if they ever had to back up their actions with more than words.

Over the years I have gone to other team’s boards looking for good football talk and good natured back and forth between opposing fans. I wish more opposing fans came here each week. I think it would make for a more interesting read each morning. I wish when they did come they were treated better when they voice their opinions….even the ones we don’t like. As long as they are willing to stick around and respond to our responses, I’d like to see more of it.

But the bottom line here is that Jetsinsider should be a cautionary tale for what can happen to a fan message board when all reason is lost and it becomes just a vehicle for a vocal minority of cyber-bullies, whiners, and haters. JI used to have 5-600 fans viewing almost all the time, and now they are down to about 200 on good nights. Don’t think it can’t happen here.

2. Peyton Manning - I am SOOOOOO tired of hearing about Peyton Manning, I’m beginning to long for a few Tebow stories to break the tide. MY GOD will the deification of the huge forehead ever stop. If you want to opine that Peyton Manning is the greatest REGULAR season QB in NFL history, I will listen to your opinion with an open mind. HOWEVER, if you want to include him into the mix of all time big game QB’s (playoffs), then his record should stand on its merits and on THOSE merits, he hardly should be mentioned at all. That is how bad his post season record really is. With the exception of one Superbowl game were the Colts won DESPITE Manning, Drew Bledsoe’s post season record is better overall percentage wise. Never has an NFL QB been so good for so long in the regular season, have more playoff opportunities, only to fail so abjectly when the brightest lights were on,

I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but that’s the nature of a rant. You just can’t help yourself.

3. The Gronk coverage - I want there to be some retribution. I need there to be some kind of consequence for the inaccurate, inept, and in some cases, unethical coverage of the Gronk recovery. Far too often the media creates controversy just its own sake. Not because its true or even because the fans need to know. They are an incestuous self feeding entity where one element creates the controversy and other elements repeat it to the point were they can claim it has attained relevance. The Gronk “controversy” was a perfect example that we all bought.

The thing is that NOW that everything has come to light and now we know that the team and the player were in lockstep the entire way. Now that we understand the process that was necessary for him to be ready enough to play, the fact that it took 6 weeks seems utterly reasonable. Yet I hate that the media just moves on to the next created story with no consequence.

Accountability is a key element in team sports. Great teams are created when players/coaches/management are all held accountable to each other. Its the key element that allows the "sum to be greater than the individual parts". The thing that creates teams like the 2001 Patriots and the 2013 Red Sox. However it seems that unless they go to absurd lengths the media is NEVER held accountable for what they report or the damage they cause with their erroneous speculation. That's how cynical it has become, that when their bad reporting comes to light, they merely pretend it didn't happen and move remorsefully on to the next piece of unsubstantiated speculation

4. Bill Polian - Desperately need to be ***** slapped. A mere punch in the mouth is too good for him. What a ******* weasel to take that not so subtle shot at the Pats. I would love to see Bob Kraft just walk up to him at some function and drop him in his tracks. And if Bob is too big a man to stoop to that level, he only needs to ask me once, and I’d be on the next plane to wherever that human pond scum is residing at the moment. Polian has proven he can build a franchise, and deserves respect for what he did in Buffalo and Indy, but his success at maintaining success is a lot less than he would like us to believe. By every account he is a loud mouthed bully who has an over inflated opinion of himself and his own worth.

5. “Cheating” Here are 5 things I would like anyone who wants to play that card against the Pats would consider.

a. Linking the 3 Superbowl wins to spygate is ludicrous, since the “rule” that was broken wasn’t written until 2006.

b. Stealing opposing signals is NOT illegal. It wasn’t then, and it isn’t now. The league just sets limits of the methods to be used what attempting that theft. :rolleyes:

c. All the data the Pats got from that filming could have just as easily been attained through other “legal” means. Only just not as efficiently No competitive advantage” (the definition of cheating) was gained.

d. None of the data obtained by the filming had any use on game day for pure logistical reasons. It would have been impossible to break down the info in time to be used that day.

e. Denver, Dallas, Washington and SF are all other franchises off the top of my head, who were heavily fined and/or lost draft choices for screwing with the salary cap. They DID gain a competitive advantage, yet are seemingly protected from the media and never labeled with the “cheaters” reputation. One they deserve much more than the Pats.

6. The Jets - This isn’t a rant, but rather a few things I will be watching for during this game.

a. The Pats OL vs. the Jets DL. Say what you want about the Jets, the fact is that they have one of the better DL’s in the league as well as on of the better DC’s running them. We are SUPPOSED to have one of the better OL’s in the league. But last week’s performance has many questioning that rating. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

b. The Pats front 7 against the Jets OL and running game. - The Jets ran the ball well against us last time when he had Wilfolk, Kelly, Mayo, and Talib. Its hard to think that it will do better with S. Jones, J Valano, Fletcher, and Logan. Another very interesting aspect of this game. How far are the Pats willing to scheme to stop the run and what will the consequences be for making that commitment.

c. Will the Pats be more creative in their pass rush today, or will they simply show more 4 man, man on man, rushes like we’ve seem all year.

d. How is Rex Ryan going to motivate his team and fans, AFTER, they play their superbowl today. Where do you go from here when you’ve gone all in for game 7.

e. If they can’t win today with the Pats missing so many players, when will they beat the Pats again. I think they have a great shot today, and the game will be close.

OK - I feel a lot better now most of my anger is vented. BTW- you are all lucky this went as long as it did, because my last vent was about the Government Shutdown…..and that would have taken a while :eek:

Good post. I won't respond to everything you posted, but here are some thoughts.

• I think guys like Rah!Rah! and SG3 and DefensewinsChampionships (or whatever his screen name is now, I think it is EternalChampions) have scared away most of the rational Jets fans from JetsInsider. There are still a handful of very good posters there, but most are idiots who believe in grande conspiracy theories about the Patriots and know very little about football. Occasionally, you can have a good debate over there, but it usually falls apart when Rah!Rah! or another idiot jumps in.
  • While on the subject on JI, I find it hilarious about their theory that the refs are always paid off by Kraft. What was even funnier is that they complained about Talib getting away with so much grabbing. No one gets away with more illegal contact than Revis was with the Jets and now Cromartie (although now that Cromartie is getting burnt a lot, he is getting the flags because it exposes the PI even more). Yes, Talib gets away with stuff, but not like Revis did.
  • Peyton Manning is the LeBron James of the NFL. The networks, especially ESPN, manufacture stories about him because it is good for ratings. He is such a ratings getter exactly why he is overrated (still think he is one of the greatest of all time, but still overrated). He puts up mind-numbing stats during the regular season and turtles in the playoffs.
  • One thing I don't get about the whole Spygate thing is the haters' argument of "If the Pats weren't cheating more than we know, why did Goodell destroy the tapes?". My question is that if Belichick did anything worse than videotaping opposing defensive calls, why in the world would he give that evidence to Goodell in the first place? It's like being pulled over for speeding and telling the police officer that you have a dead body of a person you just murdered in the trunk. If there was anymore evidence of cheating, Belichick might have shown Goodell proof of other teams videoing the Pats' defensive signals. That is the only way it makes sense that Goodell destroyed the evidence to hide something because Belichick would never have given Goodell anymore evidence of additional cheating.
  • I think the whole Pats' offense will be predicated on their o-line. If they can keep Brady upright, the Pats are going to score a lot of points. If not, they are going to struggle. The Jets' defense is all about their d-line. They are devoid of a lot of talent in the LB corp and secondary. If Brady has time, the receivers are going to be wide open just like in the first Jets/Pats match up.

The Jets are 3-3, far exceeding most fans expectations of that sorry franchise. The Pats are decimated like we haven’t seen since 2008. And yet for some reason I haven’t been able to get as fired up as usual about this bi-annual hate fest. So for the most part I will RANT. Rant about all things that are pissing me off right now.

1. Jetsinsider.com - I was one of the first Pats fans who accepted Sooth’s invitation to post on his Jets site back in early 2001. I enjoyed though many years of frustrating/entertaining times going back and forth with many Jet fans. I lost bets. I was banned (usually unjustly…but not always) But I kept going back…until this year.

This year, I rarely even went to the site, let alone posted. The Jets were just that uninteresting to me this season, except as comic relief. But this IS Jet week so I thought I go and get into it with Jet fans and discuss the coming game. Unfortunately between the delusional, unreasonable, and unsubstantiated hatred for all things Patriots, and the venal nature of the personal attacks it was impossible to even find a thread where a reasonable football discussion could be entered into.

Most of the guys I interacted with over the years have long gone. All that’s left there are pre-teens, psychotics, and internet tough guys who would pee their pants if they ever had to back up their actions with more than words.

Over the years I have gone to other team’s boards looking for good football talk and good natured back and forth between opposing fans. I wish more opposing fans came here each week. I think it would make for a more interesting read each morning. I wish when they did come they were treated better when they voice their opinions….even the ones we don’t like. As long as they are willing to stick around and respond to our responses, I’d like to see more of it.

But the bottom line here is that Jetsinsider should be a cautionary tale for what can happen to a fan message board when all reason is lost and it becomes just a vehicle for a vocal minority of cyber-bullies, whiners, and haters. JI used to have 5-600 fans viewing almost all the time, and now they are down to about 200 on good nights. Don’t think it can’t happen here.

2. Peyton Manning - I am SOOOOOO tired of hearing about Peyton Manning, I’m beginning to long for a few Tebow stories to break the tide. MY GOD will the deification of the huge forehead ever stop. If you want to opine that Peyton Manning is the greatest REGULAR season QB in NFL history, I will listen to your opinion with an open mind. HOWEVER, if you want to include him into the mix of all time big game QB’s (playoffs), then his record should stand on its merits and on THOSE merits, he hardly should be mentioned at all. That is how bad his post season record really is. With the exception of one Superbowl game were the Colts won DESPITE Manning, Drew Bledsoe’s post season record is better overall percentage wise. Never has an NFL QB been so good for so long in the regular season, have more playoff opportunities, only to fail so abjectly when the brightest lights were on,

I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but that’s the nature of a rant. You just can’t help yourself.

3. The Gronk coverage - I want there to be some retribution. I need there to be some kind of consequence for the inaccurate, inept, and in some cases, unethical coverage of the Gronk recovery. Far too often the media creates controversy just its own sake. Not because its true or even because the fans need to know. They are an incestuous self feeding entity where one element creates the controversy and other elements repeat it to the point were they can claim it has attained relevance. The Gronk “controversy” was a perfect example that we all bought.

The thing is that NOW that everything has come to light and now we know that the team and the player were in lockstep the entire way. Now that we understand the process that was necessary for him to be ready enough to play, the fact that it took 6 weeks seems utterly reasonable. Yet I hate that the media just moves on to the next created story with no consequence.

Accountability is a key element in team sports. Great teams are created when players/coaches/management are all held accountable to each other. Its the key element that allows the "sum to be greater than the individual parts". The thing that creates teams like the 2001 Patriots and the 2013 Red Sox. However it seems that unless they go to absurd lengths the media is NEVER held accountable for what they report or the damage they cause with their erroneous speculation. That's how cynical it has become, that when their bad reporting comes to light, they merely pretend it didn't happen and move remorsefully on to the next piece of unsubstantiated speculation

4. Bill Polian - Desperately need to be ***** slapped. A mere punch in the mouth is too good for him. What a ******* weasel to take that not so subtle shot at the Pats. I would love to see Bob Kraft just walk up to him at some function and drop him in his tracks. And if Bob is too big a man to stoop to that level, he only needs to ask me once, and I’d be on the next plane to wherever that human pond scum is residing at the moment. Polian has proven he can build a franchise, and deserves respect for what he did in Buffalo and Indy, but his success at maintaining success is a lot less than he would like us to believe. By every account he is a loud mouthed bully who has an over inflated opinion of himself and his own worth.

5. “Cheating” Here are 5 things I would like anyone who wants to play that card against the Pats would consider.

a. Linking the 3 Superbowl wins to spygate is ludicrous, since the “rule” that was broken wasn’t written until 2006.

b. Stealing opposing signals is NOT illegal. It wasn’t then, and it isn’t now.

c. All the data the Pats got from that filming could have just as easily been attained through other “legal” means. Only just not as efficiently No
competitive advantage” (the definition of cheating) was gained.

d. None of the data obtained by the filming had any use on game day for pure logistical reasons. It would have been impossible to break down the info in time to be used that day.

e. Denver, Dallas, Washington and SF are all other franchises off the top of my head, who were heavily fined and/or lost draft choices for screwing with the salary cap. They DID gain a competitive advantage, yet are seemingly protected from the media and never labeled with the “cheaters” reputation. One they deserve much more than the Pats.

6. The Jets - This isn’t a rant, but rather a few things I will be watching for during this game.

a. The Pats OL vs. the Jets DL. Say what you want about the Jets, the fact is that they have one of the better DL’s in the league as well as on of the better DC’s running them. We are SUPPOSED to have one of the better OL’s in the league. But last week’s performance has many questioning that rating. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

b. The Pats front 7 against the Jets OL and running game. - The Jets ran the ball well against us last time when he had Wilfolk, Kelly, Mayo, and Talib. Its hard to think that it will do better with S. Jones, J Valano, Fletcher, and Logan. Another very interesting aspect of this game. How far are the Pats willing to scheme to stop the run and what will the consequences be for making that commitment.

c. Will the Pats be more creative in their pass rush today, or will they simply show more 4 man, man on man, rushes like we’ve seem all year.

d. How is Rex Ryan going to motivate his team and fans, AFTER, they play their superbowl today. Where do you go from here when you’ve gone all in for game 7.

e. If they can’t win today with the Pats missing so many players, when will they beat the Pats again. I think they have a great shot today, and the game will be close.

OK - I feel a lot better now most of my anger is vented. BTW- you are all lucky this went as long as it did, because my last vent was about the Government Shutdown…..and that would have taken a while :eek:

Great post as always Ken.........count me amongst those that really enjoy your informative and well written views and rants.

In particular, your "cheating" response is a perfect example where the biased media has fed downright lies to jealous other teams and their fans. The media as always does and says anything to get ratings and fan and opposition alike cannot handle the truth of our dominance.

As for today's game, you surprised me with thinking this will be close. The Patriots talent from the middle to end of roster is so superior to the Jets that it will be a huge reason for a double digit win (not to mention position by position we match up well, even as banged up as we are).

Rex has put way too much pressure on his team and if things get off to a poor start for them, it could get really ugly really fast...I can't wait to see that happen.

Anyway, thanks as always for your thoughts and enjoy the day!

Wow.

When Belichick gets that worked up, he cuts a Ventrone. And then all is better.

On the "cheating" thing, the problem with that is that it will always come up in any discussion of the Belichick era. It was insiginificant, it sucks, but it will always be there. It's critical to find a way to let that go.

As for the Jets game today, the Patriots OL has been dealing with a severely diminished offense. They've had to hold their blocks longer on passing plays, and against Cincinnati with Ridley out, they had to open holes for backs that could not get to the point of attack quickly. With Gronk back, Collie in his third week, and Ridley coming off a terrific 96-yard performance, look for the OL to battle early and dominate late as the Jets' DL wears down.

As for the Jets running game, I just don't see much there that concerns me. I think the next-man-up crew is in a fair fight today. I hope Tommy Kelly can get back for Miami, though.

MY GOD will the deification of the huge forehead ever stop.

I wish I'd never seen the recently posted Austin Collie comic; I'm still having nightmares! :p
Forehead_zpsbd5a9b99.jpg

Great post and i will imitate the previous poster and reply to some of your thoughts.

1. On your first thoughts concerning how posters from other teams should be treated. I wish they were treated with more respect here even. I have followed some threads where a fan from an opposing team has come here, expressed an opinion contrary to one we would like to hear, and then been accused of being a troll or just flat out insulted.

I obviously don't have the answer, but if we don't like their opinion or they are just rude because there are some who we would all like to avoid just ignore them. They will go away. That has been my solution to date.

2. On the Peyton Manning subject still one of my most disliked quarterbacks, though I do respect his accomplishments. I have to put in the caveat though football focuses on the quarterback it is very much a team sport. Some of those postseason losses may just have been receiver drops, poor defense or other situations.

Please understand I am not defending him as a fan, but I look at what happened to Brady against the Giants and maybe Manning can say the same in some instances. I still want Brady on my team though:)

3. Do you think the press will ever have accountability. Especially today in the internet age where anyone can post their thoughts and opinions. Start a blog and call themselves a reporter. I can safely say I have seen the degradation of the press increasing over time as it became easier to see things on the internet, or TV never mind in person. Camera phones and other implementations such as Google Glass are just contributing to this. A reporter feels safe because what consequences do they face if their reporting is wrong. Typically it is none. Reporting today is just gossip. What a difference between today's stories and Watergate for example.

4. I agree wholeheartedly on SpyGate. Many other teams got caught in the past and recently cheating in some way, but were never pillared as much as the Pats. I believe it is because of their run of success. If they were performing similarly to the Jets for example. I don't believe it would even be a story.

I enjoyed your post a lot and hope I have added some thoughts that may have a little relevance to the thread.

Looking forward to your next rant, thanks.

fgssand, I don't know about the media 'spygate bias' because I think that's pretty much been regulated to fanboy biatching on team boards such as JI, Phins, etc. And fwiw, considering the way this year started out (the bizarre AHern situation, Tebow, Kraft's odd commercial shoot with his gf, etc.), the press has for the most part moved on and resumed the "classy Patriots" line. Again imho, the spygate thing is just not that big a deal outside of "other team" message boards.

That said, about today's game: while the Pats are dinged-up, the Jets rookie QB will be without Santonio Holmes, Kellen Winslow Jr. (who was their leading receiver) and Mike Goodson who gave them a speedy, chance of pace back they didn't have before. All the more pressure on Smith to try and play a 'clean' game.

However, what this boils down to is one team has Tom Brady and one team does not.

NE - 27; NYJ - 13.

Good stuff, as always.

That Spygate stuff bothered me in 2007, and there is and has been ample evidence to discredit the claims. The fact is, the people who bring it up do not want the discussion and are not interested in logic. I hear that noise as no more than an FU to the Pats, and no more intelligent. It isn't even a very good conspiracy theory.

With regard to Polian's comment, I offer you the wisdom of Sean Connery from The Rock. Losers always find excuses, so apparently this is how he finds comfort in his losing.

As for Manning, I would love to see him lose to stop the fawning by the media as well. I really don't hate the guy. What I hate is the media adulation of Manning, which only seemed to diminish briefly when they played a better story in the Saints. It seems to have returned full force, so I would love to see that go away.

I would love to see the Pats hammer another nail in the Jets coffin (although I will note that team may make the .500 mark, which I thought was impossible, in order to spare Rex Ryan from a probable termination at the end of the year - a good thing in my opinion as the man is pure comedy gold, unintended or not), but I expect it will be a tough game. I see the Pats winning it, but not by a blowout.

As a government employee, I tune out the shutdown crap. That subject is about as rational to me as Spygate discussions with the people who believe there was cheating. I expect your time is worth more than that idiocy, and you will be happier for avoiding the topic.

I was thinking this morning listening to all the Manning crap, "Let them all celebrate his return while we are out winning with 1/2 a team." I don't care about anything except our guys making a good showing and getting a W.

Also, I'd like to see Gronk return, and no matter what his role is, let him come out of the game still healthy.

That is all. Have a good Sunday and good luck Pats! My husband is away so unfortunately I am going to be reduced to watching/listening to the game on the radio in snatches as I run kids around to birthday parties, hockey practice, etc.

Go Pats!!

1) So true about JI. That place has reverted to neanderthal levels. And so true that we must keep PatsFans.com from ever devolving to those depths. I cringe every time I see the Jets Suck because at these times this board is no better.
2) We washed Brady's balls in '07....Manning deserves the same. Being a petty fan is.....petty

1) So true about JI. That place has reverted to neanderthal levels. And so true that we must keep PatsFans.com from ever devolving to those depths. I cringe every time I see the Jets Suck because at these times this board is no better.
2) We washed Brady's balls in '07....Manning deserves the same. Being a petty fan is.....petty
'WE' may have washed Bradys balls in 97 but we're entitled to, hes our QB, and he was having a record year. Manning on the other hand has had his balls cleansed from the moment he was drafted by the National media no matter how poorly he played in big games, and no matter how great the talent was around him. And thats the situation today, hes surrounded with great talent at WR, and to a lesser extent TE and RB. He should put up big numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes