PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts: The "and this is why you DON'T play not to lose" edition

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

Can someone explain this quote to me? Zurleins range seems like it would be an argument to go for it. Or is bill saying they just conceded the game?

Belichick believed that the patriots defense would be able to keep the cowboys out of field goal range...lmao

Oh gee, really? Well having the ball at the end of the first half and beginning of the second half is the ideal scenario for why most teams to defer to begin with.
Everyone knows that you can score more points on one possession than you can with two! :D

I think Mac has shown a lot of promise but people seem to ignore the bad completely and focus on the good. I keep seeing this "let him open it up" talk but I don’t think that is the answer. He still makes a lot of mental mistakes like most rookies so I don't know how just letting him go out there and sling the ball all over the place is going to be beneficial.

And the most frustrating part of all this handicapped, cowardly play-calling today? We know the kid can sling it. He did make one big mistake, the interception to Diggs. Otherwise his accuracy was on point the whole game. Another game with 75% completion percentage. And yet often the play calling would go, let's do 2 runs up the middle and end up with a forced difficult to convert 3rd and long situation. Predictable, boring, and easy to defend.

The kid can do far more. When do the training wheels come off? Did we not see the evidence with Mac's 75 yard TD pass in the 4th quarter where the Pats were forced to let him unloose the ball and he just threw a beauty?! It's the equivalent of having a fully automatic capable gatling gun in your armory, wheeling it out to the battlefield, and then only allowing the gunner to shoot in semi-auto mode. STUPID!

The most glaring coaching loss by omission of course is the ball-less decision to kneel with 90 seconds on the clock just before the end of the first half. In olden days, that would have been 2 minute drill time. Let the guy who's been passing for 100% in the first half at least get a drive to see if he can put more points on the board.

The problem with BB is he didn't realize that the Patriots were the underdog in this game. He thought he could win by doing the old bend but don't break routine and just rely on a certain golden boy to lead the Pats to victory regardless of how little talent they had, but oh that guy is already gone to Tampa... The Cowboys clearly have more talent than us and are more ready to win. As the 'underdog' of the situation the Pats needed to take MORE risks and take every opportunity to score because they weren't getting a lot of chances in a game that was lopsided in possession and clearly the Cowboys were favored by the stats they were putting up.

Get your HEAD out of your ass BB. You have the less talented team. You can't just go into a shell and think you're going to win the game that way. The Pats are 2-4 and they deserve it thanks to cowardly coaching, poor OL play, and bad decisions that produced these results. The free agency 'frenzy' that BB embarked upon is starting to look like a midlife crisis for BB. He sought to buy the nice shiny red car to soothe his ego, but the result looks to be another sub .500 season and missing the playoffs. You can only cover up so many weaknesses with wallpaper and unfortunately they all came to light against a superior foe in the Cowboys. At least the truth has come out. The question remains, now what do you do about it?

Finally, don't just take it from me. This article sums up much more neatly all the "conservative" decisions that cost us the game.

Last edited:
I think Mac has shown a lot of promise but people seem to ignore the bad completely and focus on the good. I keep seeing this "let him open it up" talk but I don’t think that is the answer. He still makes a lot of mental mistakes like most rookies so I don't know how just letting him go out there and sling the ball all over the place is going to be beneficial.
He was throwing dimes in the first quarter. I have no idea why we stopped and literally did not score again until the 4th quarter.

He was throwing dimes in the first quarter. I have no idea why we stopped and literally did not score again until the 4th quarter.
Turtle up mentality comes from the top. BB has lost his balls. And he needed those the most against a favored opponent.

I was happy to see us look like a competent offense in that first quarter. It was the first time in a long time that everything didn't look like a struggle.

I said in 2019 that Bill needed 3 years after Brady left to reorganize the Patriots, before we contend for real for the SB again.

Well, now I am going to be more realistic, i guess. 3 years for BB to show that he can makes us contend in the playoffs.

We are in year 2, and things are mess because of 2 things, one ~long term and other ~short term

#1 - the decision-making throughout the years are finally taking its toll. You cant go 10 years or something without drafting single probowler and/or you need to have some good draft to at least build depth on the team. The Patriots didnt really have that, most our back-ups arent on rookie-contract and they arent perfoming all that well (except for 21 class). The great players that were our core are old, so they need replacements, but we dont have ANYBODY ready to take over. And finally the Gilmore and Thuney decision have started to look much worse.

#2 - Coaching this year has been plainly cowardly and stupid. No other way around it. There is no other explanation for that punt on OT against that Dallas offense. There is no explanation for the lack of 4th down tries. There is no explanation for the conservatism on the playcall for 90% of our games. There was a thread here, but it got closed. I agree wholeheartedly.

If by 2022 we dont became a good team.

Fire BB
Belichick would never be fired, if that time comes we'll see his resignation as HC either by his choice or after a nice conversation with Kraft. But yeah BB is not going to get forever to rebuild this team and shouldn't. The Rex Ryan Buffalo Bills - a team much like us right now - turned into a powerhouse team in just 3 years or so. Then there shouldn't be a reason to give BB unlimited time to rebuild this group into a good team that can beat anyone.

Belichick would never be fired, if that time comes we'll see his resignation as HC either by his choice or after a nice conversation with Kraft. But yeah BB is not going to get forever to rebuild this team. The Rex Ryan Buffalo Bills - a team much like us right now - turned into a powerhouse team in just 3 years or so. Then there shouldn't be a reason to give BB unlimited time to rebuild this group.
BB the GM is the one that needs to go. Nobody denies that he's a genius as a head coach. Would he ever relinquish that control of the grocery shopping? Doubtful with his ego.

What BB the Coach needs to do now is readjust his mentality to realize this isn't the Patriots of 2010s Dynasty edition era anymore. We're the underdog now. He needs to make adjustments and mothball the conservative mentality that is just leading to more losses and taking away opportunities to win. Show us you can win with less Bill, because you stocked the cupboards that way. Nobody to blame for the talent situation except yourself.

But he isn't making a lot of the rookie mistakes. The guy didn't even throw an incompletion until midway through the third quarter. Again yesterday, we saw Jones stand in the pocket and complete passes for first downs as he was getting hit. He wasn't getting rattled. He wasn't scrambling out of the pocket making wild throws.

You want to see QBs making rookie mistakes, watch the Jets, 49ers, or Bears. These QB are still taking off the second they see pressure and hucking the ball into double coverage rather than dumping off the ball.

Jones has flaws and is not an upper tier QB by any stretch of the imagination, but he isn't playing like a rookie QB either. He isn't making the rookie mistakes we are seeing with the rest of the QB class. He is playing like a QB with several years of experience under his belt. He does make some rookie mistakes, but they aren't the costly ones that you would need to protect a QB from himself.

But he isn't making a lot of the rookie mistakes. The guy didn't even throw an incompletion until midway through the third quarter. Again yesterday, we saw Jones stand in the pocket and complete passes for first downs as he was getting hit. He wasn't getting rattled. He wasn't scrambling out of the pocket making wild throws.

You want to see QBs making rookie mistakes, watch the Jets, 49ers, or Bears. These QB are still taking off the second they see pressure and hucking the ball into double coverage rather than dumping off the ball.

Jones has flaws and is not an upper tier QB by any stretch of the imagination, but he isn't playing like a rookie QB either. He isn't making the rookie mistakes we are seeing with the rest of the QB class. He is playing like a QB with several years of experience under his belt. He does make some rookie mistakes, but they aren't the costly ones that you would need to protect a QB from himself.
He doesn't have the pocket awareness that comes with being a veteran QB. I also think some of the protection issues may be on Mac. He has been lit up multiple times this year by free rushers and I am not sure if it is because he isn't calling out protections at the LOS or what but he definitely doesn't always feel the pressure the way a veteran QB would. He has also forced a good number of throws especially last week against the Texans where he threw 2-3 near interceptions down the stretch. Don't get me wrong he is playing well for a rookie but he still makes mistakes that he will hopefully grow out of.

Belichick would never be fired, if that time comes we'll see his resignation as HC either by his choice or after a nice conversation with Kraft. But yeah BB is not going to get forever to rebuild this team and shouldn't. The Rex Ryan Buffalo Bills - a team much like us right now - turned into a powerhouse team in just 3 years or so. Then there shouldn't be a reason to give BB unlimited time to rebuild this group into a good team that can beat anyone.

@Ian - wasn't this supposed to be content thread?

Isn't it enough that this guy trashes Main Board with new threads every other minute?
Aren't there enough trash threads out there?
Do we have to have this kind of trash also in PFK?
Can we have one normal thread per week?

Isn't it enough that this guy trashes Main Board with new threads every other minute?
"Wahhhhhh I don't like dissenting opinions!". Yes please complain to the mods that someone contributes to the forum by posting threads which generate discussion which is the point of the forum. If you don't like the threads or the poster then ignore him and stop whining.

If you don't like my topics then that's what ignore thread or ignore poster is for. In fact I'll use ignore poster right now so I get less whining in my notifications. :)

He doesn't have the pocket awareness that comes with being a veteran QB. I also think some of the protection issues may be on Mac. He has been lit up multiple times this year by free rushers and I am not sure if it is because he isn't calling out protections at the LOS or what but he definitely doesn't always feel the pressure the way a veteran QB would. He has also forced a good number of throws especially last week against the Texans where he threw 2-3 near interceptions down the stretch. Don't get me wrong he is playing well for a rookie but he still makes mistakes that he will hopefully grow out of.

For a rookie, he has outstanding pocket awareness. The guy knows when to get rid of the ball right before getting hit and does step up to avoid the pressure.

The guy has a historic completion percentage for a rookie QB. Where are these forcing "a good number of throws" come from? The guy had six incompletions yesterday that included the pick six. He was off on the pick six and he did throw another ball that had the chance of being intercepted, but I think you are overstating his forcing a good number of throws. If you look at even Brady, he has individual games games where he could have multiple picks because he forced a lot of throws to receivers. He isn't as bad as a typical rookie. Hell, Zach Wilson probably forced more throws to receivers under pressure in the game against the Pats than Jones has all year.

I still don't see him being a rookie liability like you are making him out to be. Again from the mental aspect of the game, he is playing like a QB with several years of experience.

Censorship is the resort of the weak minded. Intelligent grown up people can make decisions for themselves. If you disagree, that's perfectly fine. State why and make your logical arguments. Unless the poster is making personal attacks I see no reason for moderator censorship of comments directly pertaining to football and the Patriots football franchise, its players, and its coaches.

Can someone explain this quote to me? Zurleins range seems like it would be an argument to go for it. Or is bill saying they just conceded the game?

He is saying that if you fail on a 4th down at your own 46 you are dead.
How hard is that to understand. Did you not watch Miami lose because they did exactly that?

Wow.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes