PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - pre-SF edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great analysis as always, pfk.

I'll just add that I like Brady over Kaepernick in the cold and sleet or rain in Foxboro at night in December over a west coast guy who has played all of his pro and most of his college games in warmer places. Our guys should also have a split second edge in getting open on familiar turn in bad conditions.
You know, I've been thinking about this, and I wonder how much an advantage its really going to be. The Pats have had some awfully good weather the last couple of years in Foxboro. And while Brady might be one of the best bad weather QB in NFL history (among the rest of things he's great at, the rest of the team probably haven't played 5 bad weather games in the last 4 years, and since most of the defense hasn't even been here the last 4 years that limits the advantage even more.

Common wisdom would dictate that it would be a big advantage for the Pats....but is it really?

Last edited:
You know, I've been thinking about this, and I wonder how much an advantage its really going to be. The Pats have had some awfully good weather the last couple of years in Foxboro. And while Brady might be one of the best bad weather QB in NFL history (among the rest of things he's great at, the rest of the team probably haven't played 5 bad weather games in the last 4 years, and since most of the defense hasn't even been here the last 4 years that limits the advantage even more.

Common wisdom would dictate that it would be a big advantage for the Pats....but is it really?

Who has the advantage in the cold and snow is debatable from the standpoint of running and passing. What isn't debatable is the Patriots practice in Foxboro MA, the 9ers practice in Santa Clara CA (which I live just a few miles from). The 9ers are practicing in fall months where the average high temp is approaching 60 degrees. I have never seen a flake of snow on the ground outside my house in the many years I have lived here. I could probably count on my hands the amount of times the high temperature did not reach 50 or above during the winter in the last several years (my blood sure has thinned from living in Cali -- I can tell that when I visit family in the Boston area in winter time).
This isn't to say the 9ers can't come in and play well in cold weather, it is to say they never practice in the weather they are about to play in. That is most definitely an advantage for the Patriots. IMHO if the weather is as they say it will be and the Patriots jump out to a lead on the 9ers, their unfamiliarity with the cold may make them start thinking about their warm hotel room WELL before the game is even over.

As far as I remember, snow was adistinct advantage in the bad weather games we played in the last few years. And like somebody else said, the real advantage comes from practicing in this weather.

Well, the stats say Brady performs well in these circumstances.

I think Brady has the advantage for the following reasons:
  • Past Experience
  • Practice in climate (though they've had no snow/sleet so far)
  • Throwing Mechanics -- There's nobody better and reduces impact of possible wind
  • His elusiveness in the pocket. While a sprint might slip more, Brady shuffles and creates less momentum while moving in the pocket. Thus, he's less prone to slipping compared to others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes