PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - an abreviated version

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This was a great win against a very good team. THAT is what you all should take from this game. Why did we win? Well it's simple. They Pats followed the same formula that basically defined the 20 year run before we "sucked". We ran the ball effectively. We had turn overs and didn't turn the ball over ourselves. They had penalties (64 yds worth). We had fewer (18 yds) We managed the clock better than they did. And finally and perhaps most importantly, the Patriots out physicalled the Ravens all night long. We simply OUT hit them and left a trail of bodies along the way.

We were back to being the well coached disciplined team that brought us so much of the early success we had in the first run of the dynasty. Let's be frank. This ISN'T a championship kind of roster. But neither was the 2001 team. (BTW- it would be interesting to compare each team and have a discussion on where this team is better and where it is worse. Unfortunately its too late to do that in this OP)

But getting back to the topic, It should be clear now that THIS team is capable of winning any game they play the rest of the way WHEN they do all the things they showed tonight. When they don't. When they turn the ball over. When they are undisciplined, When they are out hit, THEN they can lose any game. It's all going to be up to them as a team and how well the coaching staff prepares them.

A couple of things to remember from the past.

Bill believes (and rightfully so) that EVERY year the team is different and has to develop it's own identity, and until it does it isn't going to "jell". At some point during they year a team has to come together and "get it". If they don't then you get 2009 all over again.

On the team's side is they HAVE to believe that their coaching staff is developing game plans that will put them into position where they can succeed....IF they execute it. This was the secret sauce that fueled this dynasty. The team BELIEVED it down to their souls. It didn't matter how good the other team's players where or what their records were. Those teams believed that they were never out of a ball game and their game plan and mid game adjustments were going to be better than the other team's.

Now I have no idea if THIS team has that belief yet. I DO know that this is a team that is STILL evolving. Hopefully in the right direction, but we will see how it goes next week

A couple of comments on the defense -

1. I thought the front seven had a VERY good game. It certainly wasn't dominant as the Ravens had 115 yds rushing at a 4.1 ypc average, but considering that this team had been running the ball at a 5.1 ypc rate for the season, this was a pretty good job for a team without any dominant player and 2 ILB's whose names I never heard of prior to this game. Terez Hall??????? and Anfernee Jennings were NOT the guys you would think that could contain the best running attack in the league and force 34 throws from a QB not ready to win a shoot out with his arm yet, ESPECIALLY in torrential rain.

2. JC Jackson is the real deal. IF the Pats decide to move on from Gilmore after this season, the cupboard won't be bare. OR if they decide to keep him, they will have two #1 CB's on the roster. This kid is GOOOOOOOD. Special kind of good.

So in the end. Just what do we have here in this team. The jury is still out. All I know is that they play hard. They play tough and are worthy of our support despite their flawed nature and mixed results. Good night all and enjoy the week. Life is always just a BIT better after a Pats win.

It seems that going 2 weeks without being able to practice and a 3rd playing QBs who took no reps in practice had a dramatic effect.

The effort and the execution were both top notch.

1) Jakobi Meyers - this kid is a keeper and looks like he can be a good number 2 possession type WR for us. Very impressed with the growth he’s shown

2) the Running game - the line played great as well as the backs. I would like Harris to get more red zone touches though. We were 1st and goal from about the 5 and he was on the bench.

3) Teams have figured out the Ravens O - the Ravens are having a much harder time scoring this year. It looks like they have been figured out. Lamar’s numbers are way way down.

One thing I don’t understand and it’s something we are seeing more and more in the NFL is rotating the RBs every drive. The Ravens did this tonight and it doesn’t let any of their backs get in a rhythm. We were guilty of this in prior games as well. Backs need carries to get going.

It was a great, and in the deep recesses of my mind an unexpected win, but it seems as though the Pats are morphing into a different team than what we are used to seeing.

Defensively they played well, but the glaring weakness at LB showed (Kudos to Hall, but he does not seem to be a great answer).. JC Jackson, Duggar, J. McCourty all played well. Couple of times there seemed to be some blown coverage.

Offensively Cam was effective.. Harris, Meyers and Burkhead all deserve kudo's.. O line played well.

Really like the UDFA's who make this team and are better than expected (Jackson & Meyers et al).

The season is long, injuries and COVID-19 can be equalizers.. but more optimistic this AM about the Pats.. there are pieces that need to be obtained to take the Pats to the next level, with a load of cap space in '21.. there is confidence it can be done.

Couple of times there seemed to be some blown coverage.

I saw it more as zone coverage vice "blown" in most cases. There were 1 or 2 where I agree like the FB play along the sidelines, but overall it seemed much more that the Raven's receivers exploited holes in the zones. That's where having new/rookie LBs really hurts as there isn't the fluidity of zone pass offs you have when the entire defense is used to playing a particular coverage. I guess semantically you could call that "blowing" the coverage, but I always liken that more as a man-to-man scheme phrase where someone is running completely free without anyone covering him.

Starting to get a 2011 Giants vibe from this team.

That team wasn’t amazing at anything and like us they also lost 4 games in a row that season. But they were tough and well coached.

thanks Ken....this team is finally getting to where many thought it would be. Ball control offense and good defense. A good physical team that should continue to grow this season.

Found this game to be a classic " no one believes in us" game where the Pats out game planned and executed against a more talented team. With no off season, COVID disruptions and massive player turnover it has taken longer than normal to find themselves but they seem to be establishing a true identity. Does not leave a lot of room for error but they play hard and are an enjoyable team to follow. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the year plays out.

I saw it more as zone coverage vice "blown" in most cases. There were 1 or 2 where I agree like the FB play along the sidelines, but overall it seemed much more that the Raven's receivers exploited holes in the zones. That's where having new/rookie LBs really hurts as there isn't the fluidity of zone pass offs you have when the entire defense is used to playing a particular coverage. I guess semantically you could call that "blowing" the coverage, but I always liken that more as a man-to-man scheme phrase where someone is running completely free without anyone covering him.

The zone drop matching scheme was just too much for the rooks and first year players. Phillips was so confused he just lapsed into man coverage and ran after Andrews a few times.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the game.........excellent summary Ken , hit all the points. Really pleased to see team perform against a pretty good team.

Onwenu maybe had his first slip but this was early on in the game and played very well after that. Mason and Onwenu make a powerful right side.
Harris runs with power , Jacobi still looking good against a better secondary.....the touchdown throw was on the money.

1. The AFC teams currently in the playoffs as WC teams in the 5-7 slots all at 6-3 the Patriots have beaten. LV, Miami and Baltimore.

2. Throwing away wins against Seattle and Buffalo along with not showing up for Denver and how different is this season and people's opinions of this team right now?

3. If the Pats can beat the Texans, Chargers and Jets all of whom they would be favored against and then go 2-2 vs AZ, Buffalo, Miami and LAR that will put them at 9-7 which is where I picked them at the start of the season. To make the playoffs with that record they need a lot of teams in front of them to fall on their collective faces.

4. Great rebound game for Jackson.

5. Damien Harris in a nutshell: Everything Sony Michel isn't.

6. Terez Hall, who knew? Hopefully the kid can keep it up.

7. Myers is suddenly the player I envisioned him being. Good for him sticking with it.

8. The Pats, minus Cam getting hurt, have put the lose for Lawrence, fade for Fields.......talk to bed. Assuming they go 7-9 or better the cost of trading up will also be way too high. Things are still too early and fluid to project who else might leap into having a first round grade but given the uncertain nature of everything around Covid I think the Pats will be risk adverse and won't take a QB until later in the draft. That's going to probably mean a contract with Newton that both sides can live with. Given he'll want something in the 20's for multiple years and a decent signing bonus I'm not sure they get there, at least initially. Bill's pretty good at playing chicken.

9. I'd have a hard time choosing if there could ever be a way for a Baltimore vs Pittsburgh SB. My god do I hate those two teams, their whiney head coaches and entitled (not that we aren't) fanbases. I'd, gulp, rooter harder against the Steelers to keep them at 6.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back