PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts - a beginning......

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Lots of trees. Let's look at the forest:

1) Bill Belichick is at this point a lousy GM with fatal blindspots when it comes to receivers and other high-impact skill players. Bill The GM should be fired. I hope the Krafts have what it takes to act on this obvious fact. If Bill the Coach decides he won't stay on the job without Bill Belichick the GM on the job, fire both of 'em.

2) It is time to put Bill the Coach on probation. If we do not see a DIRECTION and improvement, it is time consider letting him go. When you are making as much dough as Belichick is, "What have you done for me lately" is 100% a reasonable question. It isn't as if Bill has not applied just this sort of cold, bottom-line approach in dealing with players in decline over the years. I have been a Pats fan since the early 60's. For EVERYBODY, the time to get the boot inevitably comes.

Bb the GM is going to keep bb the coach from owning the all time wins record!

sorry, I’ve never been beaten down
So you say. But if someone gets you with a valid point - and I'm speaking from experience - you're definitely quick to switch gears and bring up a different point. :cool:

This board has become as unreadable as Felger and Mazz has become unlistenable.

Last edited:
QB- 2 positives I took from Mac's preseason snaps was that he looked quicker on his feet. That very positive athletic ability he has (4.8 forty and 7.04 3-cone) showed up a bit more. He still doesn't have "instinctual" evasive moves you see from other "athletic QB" who have similar quickness and speed, but little by little I think THAT will come over time.
Jones also finished 5th in time to throw on Sunday (2.52), according to NextGenStats, two spots behind Brady. So he did a good job of getting the ball out of his hands quickly for the most part. Hopefully, we'll see a continuation and some additional open looks this weekend. Lord knows he'll need to be quick in this one, as the Steelers defense is definitely tough.

Jones also finished 5th in time to throw on Sunday (2.52), according to NextGenStats, two spots behind Brady. So he did a good job of getting the ball out of his hands quickly for the most part. Hopefully, we'll see a continuation and some additional open looks this weekend. Lord knows he'll need to be quick in this one, as the Steelers defense is definitely tough.

I don't know how much stock I would place on those time-to-throw numbers... Too many variables - good protection, bad protection, down/distance, what's the first read, etc - to draw any conclusions regarding QB or OL performance from them, imo. Sometimes less-useful statistics are thrown-together with the more useful ones and given un-warranted equivalency; might be the case here...

That's an interesting stat. Was it because he quickly identified the open receiver, was it because he had to get rid of it quickly due to pressure, or was it because he was pressing?

That's an interesting stat. Was it because he quickly identified the open receiver, was it because he had to get rid of it quickly due to pressure, or was it because he was pressing?

Eggs-actly, Bluntman...

My eyes tell me the opposite of that stat. I don't know how people come up with this stuff.

In my view, Mac is still young when it comes to reading Ds and being decisive with the ball. This is correctable. As he matures, he will deliver it quicker.

What I'm seeing is late reads, not coming off his first man quick enough, ignoring wide open people underneath who can get some YAC.

We'll see him throw it with more authority as well as soon as he gets some rhythm and confidence. Right now, he's questioning things too much.

I don't know how much stock I would place on those time-to-throw numbers... Too many variables - good protection, bad protection, down/distance, what's the first read, etc - to draw any conclusions regarding QB or OL performance from them, imo. Sometimes less-useful statistics are thrown-together with the more useful ones and given un-warranted equivalency; might be the case here...
It's a fair point C, but that can be said for ALL stats. Just like what we see on TV can be held that it's in the eyes of the beholder, so too can be said of "stats".

There are so many stats out there now, we can almost find "a stat" that will help solidify a point of view of most EVERY argument.

For example I can use the run game stats in the first half to make a point that the OL was successful in the "new system" And then in use the same stats in the 2nd half to prove the OL sucked. I could use the fact the OL allowed only 1 sack and 3 QB hits, compared to 2 and 7 for the Pats D against Tua. to assert the Pat OL played well. Different stats for different points of view.

Bottom like here is that while stats ARE important to understand where the team is going, we should be aware that "stats" don't always tell the true story and can be subjective. Who is deciding what's a hit or a hurry. Its a person who is watching film and sometimes makes a subjective opinion of what he saw.

Just thought I would point that out.

I agree all stats have to be understood as a portion of the total picture. All stats. The stats that we like and support our arguments are included in the category of "a portion of the total picture".

My eyes tell me the opposite of that stat. I don't know how people come up with this stuff.

In my view, Mac is still young when it comes to reading Ds and being decisive with the ball. This is correctable. As he matures, he will deliver it quicker.

What I'm seeing is late reads, not coming off his first man quick enough, ignoring wide open people underneath who can get some YAC.

We'll see him throw it with more authority as well as soon as he gets some rhythm and confidence. Right now, he's questioning things too much.
Post snap Mac definitely has a lot of work to do. Add in dealing with pressure especially delayed. Hes been a dead duck. He's got a ways to go. He's been late off his initial read since last year. Looking at him in college, last year and week one and focusing on his hips. He's definitely been trying to tweak his mechanics. I suspect that's going to be a work in progress all year.

Post snap Mac definitely has a lot of work to do. Add in dealing with pressure especially delayed. Hes been a dead duck. He's got a ways to go. He's been late off his initial read since last year. Looking at him in college, last year and week one and focusing on his hips. He's definitely been trying to tweak his mechanics. I suspect that's going to be a work in progress all year.
Perhaps, Hoyer can help.

From what I read, he wasn't pressured at a high rate, he chose to release it quickly. So mostly 1 or 3 of your question.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back