PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think AD will be traded for Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be neutral on this deal... I don't expect we would get a great year out of Thomas, but there's no guarantee we get one out of Branch either. It just shifts the question marks around without answering any of them.

I'd be neutral on this deal... I don't expect we would get a great year out of Thomas, but there's no guarantee we get one out of Branch either. It just shifts the question marks around without answering any of them.

I'd rather have Deion in the locker room than AD. And so would #12.

It all makes sense except there's no way the Pats pay Branch $5.5 mil in salary this year. And it's probably equally unlikely that Seattle will want to pay AD $4.9 mil.

It all makes sense except there's no way the Pats pay Branch $5.5 mil in salary this year. And it's probably equally unlikely that Seattle will want to pay AD $4.9 mil.

Being there is no cap, overpaying him this year is not a big deal. It's not like he's some random player coming in either. He's earned his money with the Patriots.

Branch could have incentive to restructure. He has to gauge what his worth would be on the open market.

Branch could have incentive to restructure. He has to gauge what his worth would be on the open market.

And so would AD. Even Steven.

And so would AD. Even Steven.

Exactly. So it's not like the 2 teams just talk and swap the players. It would take NE and Sea to agree to the deal AND NE and Branch to agree to a deal AND Sea and Adalius to agree to a deal. Chances are slim.

Both would be traded with no guaranteed money remaining on their deals so it's a wash. If you keep them you pay them or talk about a restructure/extension. If not you cut them on the eve of the season. Same potential deal awaits both if they remain where they are.

Being there is no cap, overpaying him this year is not a big deal. It's not like he's some random player coming in either. He's earned his money with the Patriots.

Well it's not your money, nor is it mine. So it's easy to throw around millions of dollars. But given that Mason and Chambers both got about $4 mil/year, Branch is only worth about $2.5 mil/year.

Well it's not your money, nor is it mine. So it's easy to throw around millions of dollars. But given that Mason and Chambers both got about $4 mil/year, Branch is only worth about $2.5 mil/year.

$2.5 on the open market, I'd agree. But I'd give + $1.5 million value bonus for a guy who has already proven he works well with Brady, and $0.5 million for shipping AD out to the NFC West. Bingo, now Branch is worth it. :)

Exactly. So it's not like the 2 teams just talk and swap the players. It would take NE and Sea to agree to the deal AND NE and Branch to agree to a deal AND Sea and Adalius to agree to a deal. Chances are slim.

Neither Branch nor Thomas have to agree to anything if neither team want to restructure their deals. It is very conceivable that the teams would trade players and just let them play under their current deals. With no cap, their salaries don't mean much if the team's owners don't care about paying the money. Neither would bring any dead money or future bonuses of any significance with them for future caps.

$2.5 on the open market, I'd agree. But I'd give + $1.5 million value bonus for a guy who has already proven he works well with Brady, and $0.5 million for shipping AD out to the NFC West. Bingo, now Branch is worth it. :)

That adds up to $4.5 million. Branch is scheduled for 5.5. :) Besides, why is everyone so scared of AD going to the Jets? If he was any good, he'd have played more here last year and made more tackles.

Maybe not. I think BB has already made up his mind on AD, and Seattle has probably already done the same with Branch. If they switch teams, then each team has a chance to evaluate the new player in OTAs and TC. If they want to keep them at their current salary, they can. If they want to try to get the player to take a pay cut, they can do that also. I don't think the players need to agree to a deal before the trade.

One other aspect is that the Santonio trade establishes a comp for Branch. I don't think Seattle should expect anything higher than a 4th for him.

Last edited:
Maybe not. I think BB has already made up his mind on AD, and Seattle has probably already done the same with Branch. If they switch teams, then each team has a chance to evaluate the new player in OTAs and TC. If they want to keep them at their current salary, they can. If they want to try to get the player to take a pay cut, they can do that also. I don't think the players need to agree to a deal before the trade.

Well, it's 1 step up from releasing the guy. So why not! I think it's pretty clear to all parties involved though that both players will not earn even half of their scheduled salaries this year.

One other aspect is that the Santonio trade establishes a comp for Branch. I don't think Seattle should expect anything higher than a 4th for him.

I don't think anyone will give up anything for Branch considering how grossly overpaid he is. Except maybe another grossly overpaid player. So count me in.

If the front office thinks Deion can stay healthy for, at the very least, half a season and if he is willing to restructure his contract, I wouldn't mind shipping AD to Seattle in return for him.

If the front office thinks Deion can stay healthy for, at the very least, half a season and if he is willing to restructure his contract, I wouldn't mind shipping AD to Seattle in return for him.
Works for me, too. Branch and Brady had a connection here. I think TB would be psyched to have him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes