PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the start of the second half edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I started this with with about 5 minutes left in the game, so I might have to make some changes, as this goes along. But I have to get up real early tomorrow so I can't stay up to 3am and write this, so this might be a quick one

1. I was trying to thnk WHAT is missing from this defense compared to last season. It hit me over and over again. It doesn't force turn overs. How many times this season have we lost the turnover battle. Wekk this was another one 0-2

I don't know the exact numbers but the fact is that for well over a decade the Pats have created more turn overs and have a better plus/minus than any other team in league. HOWEVER for some reason, THIS defensive team can't get the ball out or catch it when they have those opportunities. I can safely say that if they just matched the Seattle's TO's they win the game. If they win the TO battle they win the game easily.

The fact is Seattle won the game because they won the turnover battle.

2. OK the games over with one of the most disappointing GL offensive performances I have seen in quite a while. Too cute by a lot. First there was the first Brady sneak, which I somewhat get because he was killing time more than gaining yds and he got a yard. Second down was just a great play by Chancellor to get Blunts legs and keeps him inches from the GL. Its with the 2nd Brady sneak where I think it goes off the rails. Blunt has been the best GL backs in the league. USE HIM, or at least run a PAP and throw it to one of your TE mismatches Devlin out of backfield would have been wide open.

But the final play was the worst of all. Yes there was a lot of contact, and the officials COULD have thrown a flag. But they just as easily not have. Gronk was a part of that contact, and the more I saw the replay, the more I thought they made the right call. Take a test. If that had been Chung on Graham with the same results, would you be happy with a flag. I don't think so.

So whine about the last minute call if you want to. Blame the refs. Blame Goodell, etc. But the fact is that one play was NOT the reason the Pats lost this game.

3. What does BB say so often when we win, "Well we made just a few more big plays than they did". Well tonight Seattle made more of those big plays than we did. It really was as simple as that.

4. The defense is going to get villified by the media this week. Some of it will be deserved. But when your offense turns it over twice and you can't get any, then you will more time than not lose the game when you playing a quality opponent.

5. I love the way Seattle plays defense. The redefine the term "forced fumble". Every fumble the Pats made and they had a few they recovered back, was a DIRECT function of a Seattle player going for the ball. They managed to pry away 4 balls if you count the one we got back because Gronks elbow was down. We USED to do this too. The defense deserves a lot of blame that I'll talk about, but there is plenty of blame to go around.

6. That being said, let me be the first to list my set of *****es. This would be what I'd be saying to the defense if I were the DC.

a. From the start of the game I noticed how often the Pats were not set to play defense when the ball was snapped I think it was Alan Branch who once had his head turned to the DB's when the ball was snapped. Needless to say he wasn't a factor in that pass rush. But it was a lot more than that. There were way too many timed where LB's and DB's were running around trying to get to the right spot when the ball was snapped.

Way too often it seemed like the DB's were playing 2 different defenses. This is best exemplified by the cross field TD pass to Baldwin, when Ryan, who was clearly in zone let Baldwin cross his face, and Chung who watched him run right by him to an empty deep zone for an easy TD.

Way too often, our CB's were some kind of deep zone coverage that allowed Seattle to complete wide open 20 yd comeback routes. These weren't long completions that were great throws and highly contested. These were easy pitch and catches with plenty of time and room. It's like I said in the game thread. It seemed like they hadn't come back from vacation for most of that game.

b. What a HUGE number of chunk plays Seattle got. I thought that THIS is what the defense was supposed to stop. I thought that we could accept 5-15 yd pass plays, but NOT the 20-30 yd plays we saw all night. This is what we were supposed to get by giving up some of our pass rush.

c. In the end, the biggest culprit was Matt Patricia. The defense didn't look ready, both mentally and schematicly. It doesn't happen too often, but I have to say, in THIS game, Seattle had the better game plan and executed it better.

d. Trey Flowers is deserving of those extra snaps he got. And whatever Sheard is doing to lose them, is costing him a TON of money....unless he picks it up. BTW- this has to be about the 5th time Chris Long had a sack and lost it.

e. I've been a big Logan Ryan supporter this season, and up to this game thought he's done a good job in coverage, being very competitive even on completions, forcing QB's and receivers to make quality catches and passes. NOT tonight. He was a day late and a dollar short too often.

f. Shane McCellan showed me nothing to deserve more playing time. Like so much of the defense, he looked completely out of synch.

g. And it would be fair to ask, 'where was the leader of our defense tonight'. Danta Hightower made ZERO impact plays tonight.

h. Should I take some solace in the fact that it took Seattle almost twice as long to score a TD at the end of the first half as they did in the superbowl. ;) :rolleyes:

7 The offensive comments

a. Did anyone hear Cliff Avrill's name tonight? I know I didn't. So can we PLEASE stop slamming Marcus Cannon, because he completely shut down one of the best pass rushers in the league.....and he's not the first one he's done that to, either. Cannon is playing as well as any RT in the league right now.....and at about half the cap space.

Overall the pass protection was excellent, especially given the DL we were playing against

b. IMHO this wasn't Josh McDaniel's finest moments either. The GL fiasco at the end of the game was just not good. I also believe that too many of the running plays were just too slow in forming. Seattle has great LB's and DB's, so slow developing plays would seem to play right into their strength.

And we are more than half way through the season and I'm STILL waiting for Josh to break the tendency to either run or run PAP when Blount is on the field.

AND I'm still aghast that we gave the ball to James White on a running play. He is NOT a good runner.

c. We need to run more plays where the RB can make one cut and hit the hole, or in the case of our OL, the soft spot.

d. Tom looked human. There were some mistakes of course, but accept for the end of the game issues, he played good enough to win most games against most teams. The play I'll be interested in hearing him talk about is the underthrown pass to Mitchell. Mitchell had at least 2 steps on his defender. At least he got he first pick on a play he deserved to get picked on. It wasn't one of those balls deflecting off the receiver's hands picks.

When you come right down to it. The offense did enough. they scored 3 TD's and a FG, and had it first and goal from the 2 yard line to give them a tying TD and 31 points against the best scoring D in the league. That is not a bad job, even at home

8. ST's

a. Once again we see the yin and yang of Cyrus Jones. He is going to scare the crap out of other team's ST's coaches coming out of the endzone and on punt returns. But in the same vein, our coaches will have their hearts in their throats too, but for different reasons. I'm looking forward to having Cyrus playing DB. ;)

9. So I guess when we add it all up. Seattle came here and played a great game, and we gave them our C+ game and the Pats were first a goal and 2 yds from going to overtime.

10. General thoughts

a. I thought this game was well officiated. I wasn't thrilled about the first PI call on Coleman he had great position and made a nice play on the ball.....BUT he did hit the guy in the head. It may have been incidental, but if the official saw it, I understand why he made the call, even if I didn't like it. But on the other hand, the face mask on Edelman really wasn't, even though from where the official was standing, behind the play, it looked like a sure call. I know I thought it was a text book facemask when it happened.

In the end we had 8 calls for 61 yds, and the Seahawks had 7 for 60, so it was a evenly call game. I like Steratore's crew.

b. Pete going for 2 after the last TD was stunningly stupid. 2 point conversions are 50-50 at best, and you have a great defense.

c. BTW- from what I'm learning today it wasn't the best days for those coaches going for 2 points. If I heard correctly the Steelers failed 3 or 4 times going for 2, and lost a game by 5.

d. Denver has to have the best luck in close games of any team in the NFL over the last 2 years. To their credit, they have won so many close games that were gifts from other teams or had great bounces. It's one thing to block an extra point that could win the game for the other team, (that kid made a great play). It's another to have the ball bounce up and into the hands of player right in stride, and then take 3 strides along the sideline so close to being out of bounds, that if they had called him out, they couldn't have changed the call either. Also the fact he had white shoes on made it even tougher to overturn that call.

They have been having great luck....and as you know, luck changes....eventually.

e. I hate it, but it WILL be a fair question for mediots to ask, if any distractions from the political campaign caused the lack luster performance of the team. I can already hear Felger stating as FACT that that WAS the reason for the Pats losing that game. Unfortunately I know the thought popped into my head as I watched a rather confused looking defense play their worst game of the year. Another uncomfortable question we are sure to hear, is if the Collins trade affected the locker room negatively.

OK I have a 1am curfew, so I'm cutting it off here. This is going to be a tough week for me. I can't listen to regular media because I'm depressed over the election, and now I won't be able to listen to sports media, because I can almost predict what they are going to say and that is even MORE depressing ;). So I guess, this means I'll have one of more productive weeks in a while. :D Maybe I'll read a book or 2.

At any rate., I'll have to get my sports fix here, unless the game-day thread panickers and whiners take control of the board. ;) Look forward to your comments and insights.....sorry for the "shortened" version. Good night

Last edited:
Excellent analysis. That last set of downs was a freaking debacle Brady looked like Manning on that last sneak. they kept doing that same fade route to Gronk, looking like Jump Ball Joe type style more than TFB. Go for the ball not the penalty. What the hell was that?

Pound the damned rock. Blount was having great success. Ugh. At least it wasn't the post-season....

Whenever Belichick acts confident and relaxed about an upcoming game, I know we are in trouble because I don't buy it. It isn't in his DNA to be confident and relaxed. When he smiles, we are pretty much F--d. When he actually said "We're pretty far ahead on Seattle" I knew we were screwed. :O He never says that, it bordered on giving Seattle locker room material.

We'll be fine Belichick has hopefully gotten all the uncharacteristic lapse / distractions out of his system for his lifetime and won't do that again during any season he is coaching the Patriots.

The last play-call was mind-boggingly stupid. How often has that corner route to Gronk worked? Brady tends to throw that one out-of-bounds anyway. Just run the freaking ball. This isn't Super Bowl XLIX redux since we didn't have to worry about timeout and amount of plays with this being 4th down. Just run it with Blount. If he doesn't get in from the 1, then so be it.

As for the defense, I am now officially highly concerned by the lack of emotion they are playing with. No urgency, no fire, no passion, no team-spirit. When Valentine (I think) made that play at the goal line to stop the Seahawks, how many did came over and congratulate him on the big play? And this happened the entire game, when one of the few occasions happened that the defense made a good play there was no excitement out there, none. And this time nobody can come in and say, "hey, no need to get excited over a play against the lowly XYZ". The offense didn't play well today, but at least they had a fight in them. This defense isn't all bad, they played a bad game, yes, but they aren't total garbage. But they just lack the mental edge.

Reading this board this morning and all the lamenting of how bad our D was, the stats for the Pats was just about the same as the Seahawks.. so did the Seahawks also have a bad defense also?? Listening to Collinsworth one might have thought they were the greatest D of all time.

Almost threw something at the TV after listenting to Collinsworth for over 3 hours, he is the self anointed Seahawk ball washer.. got tired of hearing how wonderful they are..

I agree with PFK point about the two turnovers, usually the team with the least amount of turnovers in games like this win.. then there is the non-call which would have brought this to within 1 points.. but we will never know, cannot fathom how so many of the officials are this incompetent.. the officials was not "letting them play" the official f... ed up.

I agree Ken, if it was reversed and one of our DBs got called for DPI on Graham in the exact same way with the game on the line, this board would have gone absolutely insane. So be it if I'm in the minority but that was very much a no call.

I agree Ken, if it was reversed and one of our DBs got called for DPI on Graham in the exact same way with the game on the line, this board would have gone absolutely insane. So be it if I'm in the minority but that was very much a no call.
This was absolutely no DPI in my books. It was simply the case of a bad play-call. Just run it with Blount or sneak it.

Great read.

I agree, the inability to generate turnovers is one of the most, if not the most, important issue right now. Yesterday they not only played conservatively but were also completely out of the game. That one play where the ball is snapped and Branch and Hightower are still trying to figure out what to do is just inexcusable.

The offense, with a good or bad day, will always put up points but how this team went from one of the best generating turnovers to simply not being able to make 1 is incredible.

Just watched this morning here in Europe ... are people really complaining about that no call at the end? That was a solid no flag. **** play call and execution. Kudos to ref for not flagging. Looked like live he pulled Gronk down but on replay it's clear it's just two players fighting for position.

Sign me up for the Should Have Run Blount Two Plays in a Row.

Anyway, it's pretty simple: game came down to the two turnovers. One really. If Jules does not fumble that ball Pats probably get at least 3 if not 7 and it's ball game.

Otherwise as crappy as the D was it played well enough to beat one of the three best teams in the league. As long as they don't lose a brain fart game they should still be good for the one seed. It's not like they were going 15-1.

Honestly, it is not just the D but the O as well. This team is soft. For some reason, that game reminded me a lot of the 1997 game when GB came in and pushed the Pats around. Tom is tough but if you hit them, you will have an effect.

Sign me up for the Should Have Run Blount Two Plays in a Row.
They really should've run Blount three times and saved one play for a pass attempt to mix things up. But because of the craptastic way the defense played they were basically using 1st and 2nd down to bleed the clock with Brady sneaks...

Reading this board this morning and all the lamenting of how bad our D was, the stats for the Pats was just about the same as the Seahawks.. so did the Seahawks also have a bad defense also??

I agree with PFK point about the two turnovers, usually the team with the least amount of turnovers in games like this win.. then there is the non-call which would have brought this to within 1 points.. but we will never know, cannot fathom how so many of the officials are this incompetent.. the officials was not "letting them play" the official f... ed up.

Anyone who watched this game would not believe that the stats told the story of the defense. Chancellor's return set a huge tone in the secondary where no one would be safe. Gronk took a monster hit early, and it affected him later on a ball he should have caught. Anyone who went across the middle usually paid for it. Brady looked uncomfortable all night, and forced a throw into the defense, which we haven't seen in awhile.

The Pats meanwhile, were rushing 2 or 3, and dropping into a deep zone? Are you kidding me? This unique combination made Russell Wilson look like 2007 Brady. If you're going to drop 9, why on earth wouldn't you double up on Graham and Baldwin at least? But at least this defense makes you vulnerable to the run.

Unfortunately this type of defense has to be played because they have absolutely no chance to even pressure the QB, so there isn't any point to having players on the line. I'm curious to see how they could fare better against KC, Pitt, Oakland, or Denver.

As far as the goal line play, perhaps it should have been called. But if I'm a ref and I see the Pats trying that play on Kam Chancellor I put my whistle away. To not run the ball right there is inexcusable, and trying to win the game on a ref's call is the stuff lesser teams are made of.

For now, put me in the camp that says trading Collins was a mistake. The middle of the field was owned by Seattle all night long. Even with Collins I don't think they win last night, but there isn't much doubt this is a worse team than they were two weeks ago.

This game felt an awful lot like the AFC Championship last year, with alot of the same weaknesses exposed.

I started this with with about 5 minutes left in the game, so I might have to make some changes, as this goes along. But I have to get up real early tomorrow so I can't stay up to 3am and write this, so this might be a quick one

1. I was trying to thnk WHAT is missing from this defense compared to last season. It hit me over and over again. It doesn't force turn overs. How many times this season have we lost the turnover battle. Wekk this was another one 0-2

I don't know the exact numbers but the fact is that for well over a decade the Pats have created more turn overs and have a better plus/minus than any other team in league. HOWEVER for some reason, THIS defensive team can't get the ball out or catch it when they have those opportunities. I can safely say that if they just matched the Seattle's TO's they win the game. If they win the TO battle they win the game easily.

The fact is Seattle won the game because they won the turnover battle.

2. OK the games over with one of the most disappointing GL offensive performances I have seen in quite a while. Too cute by a lot. First there was the first Brady sneak, which I somewhat get because he was killing time more than gaining yds and he got a yard. Second down was just a great play by Chancellor to get Blunts legs and keeps him inches from the GL. Its with the 2nd Brady sneak where I think it goes off the rails. Blunt has been the best GL backs in the league. USE HIM, or at least run a PAP and throw it to one of your TE mismatches Devlin out of backfield would have been wide open.

But the final play was the worst of all. Yes there was a lot of contact, and the officials COULD have thrown a flag. But they just as easily not have. Gronk was a part of that contact, and the more I saw the replay, the more I thought they made the right call. Take a test. If that had been Chung on Graham with the same results, would you be happy with a flag. I don't think so.

So whine about the last minute call if you want to. Blame the refs. Blame Goodell, etc. But the fact is that one play was NOT the reason the Pats lost this game.

3. What does BB say so often when we win, "Well we made just a few more big plays than they did". Well tonight Seattle made more of those big plays than we did. It really was as simple as that.

4. The defense is going to get villified by the media this week. Some of it will be deserved. But when your offense turns it over twice and you can't get any, then you will more time than not lose the game when you playing a quality opponent.

5. I love the way Seattle plays defense. The redefine the term "forced fumble". Every fumble the Pats made and they had a few they recovered back, was a DIRECT function of a Seattle player going for the ball. They managed to pry away 4 balls if you count the one we got back because Gronks elbow was down. We USED to do this too. The defense deserves a lot of blame that I'll talk about, but there is plenty of blame to go around.

6. That being said, let me be the first to list my set of *****es. This would be what I'd be saying to the defense if I were the DC.

a. From the start of the game I noticed how often the Pats were not set to play defense when the ball was snapped I think it was Alan Branch who once had his head turned to the DB's when the ball was snapped. Needless to say he wasn't a factor in that pass rush. But it was a lot more than that. There were way too many timed where LB's and DB's were running around trying to get to the right spot when the ball was snapped.

Way too often it seemed like the DB's were playing 2 different defenses. This is best exemplified by the cross field TD pass to Baldwin, when Ryan, who was clearly in zone let Baldwin cross his face, and Chung who watched him run right by him to an empty deep zone for an easy TD.

Way too often, our CB's were some kind of deep zone coverage that allowed Seattle to complete wide open 20 yd comeback routes. These weren't long completions that were great throws and highly contested. These were easy pitch and catches with plenty of time and room. It's like I said in the game thread. It seemed like they hadn't come back from vacation for most of that game.

b. What a HUGE number of chunk plays Seattle got. I thought that THIS is what the defense was supposed to stop. I thought that we could accept 5-15 yd pass plays, but NOT the 20-30 yd plays we saw all night. This is what we were supposed to get by giving up some of our pass rush.

c. In the end, the biggest culprit was Matt Patricia. The defense didn't look ready, both mentally and schematicly. It doesn't happen too often, but I have to say, in THIS game, Seattle had the better game plan and executed it better.

d. Trey Flowers is deserving of those extra snaps he got. And whatever Sheard is doing to lose them, is costing him a TON of money....unless he picks it up. BTW- this has to be about the 5th time Chris Long had a sack and lost it.

e. I've been a big Logan Ryan supporter this season, and up to this game thought he's done a good job in coverage, being very competitive even on completions, forcing QB's and receivers to make quality catches and passes. NOT tonight. He was a day late and a dollar short too often.

f. Shane McCellan showed me nothing to deserve more playing time. Like so much of the defense, he looked completely out of synch.

g. And it would be fair to ask, 'where was the leader of our defense tonight'. Danta Hightower made ZERO impact plays tonight.

h. Should I take some solace in the fact that it took Seattle almost twice as long to score a TD at the end of the first half as they did in the superbowl. ;) :rolleyes:

7 The offensive comments

a. Did anyone hear Cliff Avrill's name tonight? I know I didn't. So can we PLEASE stop slamming Marcus Cannon, because he completely shut down one of the best pass rushers in the league.....and he's not the first one he's done that to, either. Cannon is playing as well as any RT in the league right now.....and at about half the cap space.

Overall the pass protection was excellent, especially given the DL we were playing against

b. IMHO this wasn't Josh McDaniel's finest moments either. The GL fiasco at the end of the game was just not good. I also believe that too many of the running plays were just too slow in forming. Seattle has great LB's and DB's, so slow developing plays would seem to play right into their strength.

And we are more than half way through the season and I'm STILL waiting for Josh to break the tendency to either run or run PAP when Blount is on the field.

AND I'm still aghast that we gave the ball to James White on a running play. He is NOT a good runner.

c. We need to run more plays where the RB can make one cut and hit the hole, or in the case of our OL, the soft spot.

d. Tom looked human. There were some mistakes of course, but accept for the end of the game issues, he played good enough to win most games against most teams. The play I'll be interested in hearing him talk about is the underthrown pass to Mitchell. Mitchell had at least 2 steps on his defender. At least he got he first pick on a play he deserved to get picked on. It wasn't one of those balls deflecting off the receiver's hands picks.

When you come right down to it. The offense did enough. they scored 3 TD's and a FG, and had it first and goal from the 2 yard line to give them a tying TD and 31 points against the best scoring D in the league. That is not a bad job, even at home

8. ST's

a. Once again we see the yin and yang of Cyrus Jones. He is going to scare the crap out of other team's ST's coaches coming out of the endzone and on punt returns. But in the same vein, our coaches will have their hearts in their throats too, but for different reasons. I'm looking forward to having Cyrus playing DB. ;)

9. So I guess when we add it all up. Seattle came here and played a great game, and we gave them our C+ game and the Pats were first a goal and 2 yds from going to overtime.

10. General thoughts

a. I thought this game was well officiated. I wasn't thrilled about the first PI call on Coleman he had great position and made a nice play on the ball.....BUT he did hit the guy in the head. It may have been incidental, but if the official saw it, I understand why he made the call, even if I didn't like it. But on the other hand, the face mask on Edelman really wasn't, even though from where the official was standing, behind the play, it looked like a sure call. I know I thought it was a text book facemask when it happened.

In the end we had 8 calls for 61 yds, and the Seahawks had 7 for 60, so it was a evenly call game. I like Steratore's crew.

b. Pete going for 2 after the last TD was stunningly stupid. 2 point conversions are 50-50 at best, and you have a great defense.

c. BTW- from what I'm learning today it wasn't the best days for those coaches going for 2 points. If I heard correctly the Steelers failed 3 or 4 times going for 2, and lost a game by 5.

d. Denver has to have the best luck in close games of any team in the NFL over the last 2 years. To their credit, they have won so many close games that were gifts from other teams or had great bounces. It's one thing to block an extra point that could win the game for the other team, (that kid made a great play). It's another to have the ball bounce up and into the hands of player right in stride, and then take 3 strides along the sideline so close to being out of bounds, that if they had called him out, they couldn't have changed the call either. Also the fact he had white shoes on made it even tougher to overturn that call.

They have been having great luck....and as you know, luck changes....eventually.

e. I hate it, but it WILL be a fair question for mediots to ask, if any distractions from the political campaign caused the lack luster performance of the team. I can already hear Felger stating as FACT that that WAS the reason for the Pats losing that game. Unfortunately I know the thought popped into my head as I watched a rather confused looking defense play their worst game of the year. Another uncomfortable question we are sure to hear, is if the Collins trade affected the locker room negatively.

OK I have a 1am curfew, so I'm cutting it off here. This is going to be a tough week for me. I can't listen to regular media because I'm depressed over the election, and now I won't be able to listen to sports media, because I can almost predict what they are going to say and that is even MORE depressing ;). So I guess, this means I'll have one of more productive weeks in a while. :D Maybe I'll read a book or 2.

At any rate., I'll have to get my sports fix here, unless the game-day thread panickers and whiners take control of the board. ;) Look forward to your comments and insights.....sorry for the "shortened" version. Good night

You'd say to the defense, if you were the DC, that Matt Patricia is the problem? What's his role on the team in this fictional scenario and why is he the problem with the D if you're the DC?

Unfortunately this type of defense has to be played because they have absolutely no chance to even pressure the QB, so there isn't any point to having players on the line. I'm curious to see how they could fare better against KC, Pitt, Oakland, or Denver.

They...they already played Pitt this year and won.

Last edited:
They really should've run Blount three times and saved one play for a pass attempt to mix things up. But because of the craptastic way the defense played they were basically using 1st and 2nd down to bleed the clock with Brady sneaks...
Yeah, kind of sad that they literally burned a play they knew would not score to take 30 seconds off the clock or force a Seattle TO. I feel like BB is has so little faith in the D he is back to the 4th & 2 coaching mentality.

Yeah, kind of sad that they literally burned a play they knew would not score to take 30 seconds off the clock or force a Seattle TO. I feel like BB is has so little faith in the D he is back to the 4th & 2 coaching mentality.
I felt that the 2nd down Brady sneak was likewise a burn-the-time play. The thing I wondered about is, if they had gotten the TD would Belichick have attempted the 2pt conversion and end the game right there?

I felt that the 2nd down Brady sneak was likewise a burn-the-time play. The thing I wondered about is, if they had gotten the TD would Belichick have attempted the 2pt conversion and end the game right there?
I think they were trying to score on the second Brady sneak, just a bad exchange, but the first one had a 0.5% chance of a TD and they knew it.

I mean, I'm not totally opposed to the first sneak. It picked up a few yards on a the first play of a four-down possession, and you can make arguments for its game strategy regardless of how bad our D was.

I don't think BB would go for 2 at home though. I think if they had first possession in OT and were facing 4th & 2 or a 30-yard FG I think he probably goes for it and tries to get a TD to end it.

I was fine with the Brady sneak. When I saw it I immediately assumed that BB would also go for two instead of going through overtime. Which most probably would have enraged the yokels here even more.

What I would have expected more would be redzone passing formations that properly stress a defense with double TE sets. That being said, I guess one of them always has to help out with the OL.

admitting they ran the sneak to kill some clock with under 1 minute to play says it all about this defense.

I didn't see the whole game (early start to my day and just couldn't stay awake).

In the first half, the Seattle D seemed to be about 2 yards into the Patriots line with a tremendous jump on the snap. I was looking to see if there were any head bobs/tells, but didn't see any issue there. They seemed to have cleaned it up a bit.

Seems to be a fairly pivotal game as either the D will fix any issues or we'll see teams (provided they have the talent) stress the Patriots D like Seattle did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes