PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I love it when a screen comes together

NovaScotiaPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With apologies to Hannibal, I wanted to share a treat I was hooked up with by an online friend who gets the All-22 (Because I can't get it here in Canada... *grumble*) of that epic screen play over Garrett in the first quarter this past Sunday.

I guess I'm a pretty big football nerd because well executed screen plays give me a colossal football *BOING* The blocking setup on it is majestic.

I love White too, but the gap between him and Bolden is not as great as I expected. Neither White or Bolden are speedsters, White runs much better routes, but White seemed to be tackled very easily while Bolden appears a lot more sturdy. Love me some Bolden too.

Bolden is just one of those guys, an UDFA, who Josh and BB figured out how to use on this team. He left for Miami for a bit, but returned home.

Interestingly in his 9 year career he has only played for 988 snaps.. so this 31 year old RB is still "fresh"..

Bolden is just one of those guys, an UDFA, who Josh and BB figured out how to use on this team. He left for Miami for a bit, but returned home.

Interestingly in his 9 year career he has only played for 988 snaps.. so this 31 year old RB is still "fresh"..
When he played against us with Miami, he killed us. I’m glad he’s back.

When he played against us with Miami, he killed us. I’m glad he’s back.
That's a bad man. In the 2014 SB run, he knocked two linebackers out of the game.

It's the football equivalent of baseball's hit-and-run play. Beautiful when executed perfectly, yet harder than it looks.

During the pre-season games I noticed the Pats OLmen whiffing multiple times during screen attempts and couldn't understand why, until I learned that blocking rules during screens had been modified, and that other OLs were also having difficulty adjusting...

Looks like the OL has adjusted.

During the pre-season games I noticed the Pats OLmen whiffing multiple times during screen attempts and couldn't understand why, until I learned that blocking rules during screens had been modified, and that other OLs were also having difficulty adjusting...

Looks like the OL has adjusted.
what did they change in the rules?

what did they change in the rules?
No inside cut blocks.

This offseason, the NFL approved a new rule change to low blocks that limit their use to a box that's two yards outside of the tackle and five yards on either side of the line of scrimmage from which they can be initiated. Low blocks are illegal by any player everywhere else on the field during a scrimmage down.

So basically tight ends and others lined in the slot can cut block within 5 yards of the LOS, and nobody else can, at all. We were not hugely reliant on cut blocks, like some (Denver for example), but it is still an adjustment.

Love it. Should be using screens and play action all the time, aside from running it a ton, to protect Mac Jones and also to take advantage of over-aggressiveness from DE's and LB's.

No inside cut blocks.

This offseason, the NFL approved a new rule change to low blocks that limit their use to a box that's two yards outside of the tackle and five yards on either side of the line of scrimmage from which they can be initiated. Low blocks are illegal by any player everywhere else on the field during a scrimmage down.

So basically tight ends and others lined in the slot can cut block within 5 yards of the LOS, and nobody else can, at all. We were not hugely reliant on cut blocks, like some (Denver for example), but it is still an adjustment.

Yeah the late, UNlamented bastard Alex Gibbs everywhere he coached taught his OLmen those dirty, injury-causing cut blocks, e.g Brian Cox in 2001...

Thanks for posting this @NovaScotiaPatsFan

Loved watching the LG wave the defender (practically pushing him) toward Mac. Looked great from the All 22.

This is to Garrett's side, right? (Can't read the numbers here). And doesn't it come very soon after a play where Garrett had a success with a rush?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back