PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't get why people think the Pats can offer Garoppolo money to sit & wait for Brady to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, the logic is basically him choosing "I can wait a bit and inherit the perfect system for me to play in" over "I can start now, but what will I have around me?"

The overriding factor is "I am 25 and life in the NFL is short. I may have ten years left in my football career, I am don't want to spent 2-3 of them holding a clipboard".

And who knows if the Browns could build a system around him quickly with all those draft picks? And the Texans have the perfect system for him with an elite WR and a great defense and only needing a franchise QB to be a Super Bowl contender.

Last edited:
Don't pay too much attention to the talking heads. Better information in these forums. We think the Pats have flexibility to do this because they have a lot of cap space and no draft picks. We think Jimmy G. might be OK with this because Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young did. What we don't know is what the team knows about TB12's future, JG's potential, and Jacoby's potential. Coach knows all those things. If TB12 has an exit strategy that works for JG and the cap, then this could happen. If Cleveland hands us their draft for JG and Coach thinks JB can replace TB12 or that they can draft a suitable replacement, then JG is gone.

People compare Garoppolo to Rodgers and Young but forget the facts of the situation:
  • Rodgers sat for his first three seasons and became the starter in his fourth season. He was under a rookie deal and had no choice. Garoppolo is going into his fourth year and people think he will willingly sit for another 2-3 years.
  • Young failed in Tampa and was traded to the 49ers. He was under contract and couldn't get out. They did re-up him, but they gave him good starter money because there was no salary cap. He probably was making the equivalent of Osweiller money as Montana's back up for a year.

Ding ding survey says!!!!!!!!

I love Jimmy G as much as the next. Reality is cruel and windows in the NFL are limited. Regardless if said Agent represents both QBs its impossible to get blood from a stone and Jimmy would have to accept just wasting 3 to 4 years maybe of his prime career to let Brady rewrite the narrative for what a QB can and will do after 40. Plus would Brady just retire cause hes told to.....its not fair to either.

Money is actually an afterthought to the above bigger dilemna.

Please someone make this thread a sticky.....this needs to be common knowledge.

Money now is worth more than money later. Plus he could slip in the friggin shower and break his arm. Not to mention that these are competitive guys we're talking about.

Given the choice, there is no reason for Jimmy to sit rather than move. With the Browns draft choices and money they could actually make a go at building a good team in the next few years.

As I understand it, the logic is basically him choosing "I can wait a bit and inherit the perfect system for me to play in" over "I can start now, but what will I have around me?"

As for "waiting a bit," he's already waited for 3 years and he can't possibly know how long Brady will continue playing at an elite level. If he wants to make his mark on the league -- and I feel certain that he does -- his big chance comes with the end of his rookie contract.

IMO it's not just about the contract $$, it's about playing football, being the leader, and dreaming of stardom and immortality. NE is the one place where he won't be penciled in as the starter, and where he'll always be in the shadow of his predecessor rather than the franchise savior who takes them to the mountaintop. And as for making money, remember that a star NFL quarterback with movie-star looks stands to make an extra $10M+ per year in endorsement deals. A backup most assuredly does not.

If I were Jimmy, I would be immensely grateful for what the Patriots have taught me and immensely eager to move on.

People are confusing Garoppolo with Brissett. Garoppolo has already sat behind Brady for 3 seasons waiting for his turn to start. One more season and he is out of here (or Brady is out).

The guy who is ready and willing to sit for 2-3 years is Jacoby Brissett.

Anyone who says that Garoppolo should sign an extension and wait for Brady to retire, wants Garoppolo to do something that is best for the team and not JG.

We have all forgotten Jimmy's movie star looks, thanks Patchick. That should be worth another 2nd rounder. Imagine how many shirts they're going to sell!

I would lose all respect for a guy who was content to be a backup for another 3 years. Don't get me wrong.... at the start of his career he has no control over himself so it is good that he is a backup..... but if he *willingly* extended his contract knowing that (barring injury) he would still be a backup at age 28, then that's not a guy I want to be our next starter.

It's pretty simple. They can do it because they can do it. A year on his present contract; a year, if needed, franchised. Whether they should do so is another question, of course. I think they should. As to Jimmy's feelings and hopes, well, the team is the omelet, his feelings are the eggs. Crack on, Bill B.

It depends on how much money Brady would be asking for, moving forward. Jimmy is under contract this year. The Patriots have the room to Franchise Jimmy the next two years, if Brady takes pennies on the dollar.

If the Patriots want to keep JAG, and Brady's willing to pay for the infamous "less" in the future years, JAG's stuck.

I cannot believe how many people in here think franchising Garoppolo as a backup is something even remotely within the realm of possibility.

(Yes, they may franchise him with the goal of trading him, but they are not going to pay a backup QB $24 million for 1 year)

It's pretty simple. They can do it because they can do it. A year on his present contract; a year, if needed, franchised. Whether they should do so is another question, of course. I think they should. As to Jimmy's feelings and hopes, well, the team is the omelet, his feelings are the eggs. Crack on, Bill B.
OK so you want to franchise him for 1 year to remain a backup. Here the $64,000 question that no one who advocates this is willing to answer:

And then what??? He'll still be a UFA unless you cough up an estimated $29 million to franchise him again.

The only logical thing for the patriots to do would be cut or trade brady after this year. Or maybe do it now!

If JG is a great franchise qb and he is the future and the team can't afford 2 qbs with 20m plus cap hits...then brady has to go. Why would you keep him when JG plays as well and is the future?

Now, i think it's delusional to think it's possible to say JG is the next great franchise qb after 6 quarters of live play, but they're convinced that he is. I think it's delusional to cut or trade brady when he's playing well and wants to play 5 more years. But that's where they're at.

It's the metality of a delusional homer basically. "JG is worth the #1 pick plus 5 more #1s....and if they don't pay up we franchise for 5 years until brady retires and win superbowls with JG!!".

OK so you want to franchise him for 1 year to remain a backup. Here the $64,000 question that no one who advocates this is willing to answer:

And then what??? He'll still be a UFA unless you cough up an estimated $29 million to franchise him again.
Franchise him again and again! Pay him 50m per cause it's worth it! 6 quarters of live play says so.

Or sign him as Brady's replacement then. You're not going to secure certainty no matter what you do, certainly not by picking up a few draft picks now. Keeping him around as a backup, a very good one, who is learning your system, is worth something, after all. I would rather NOT franchise him for that year, both for financial and relationship reasons, so much so that if, as is quite likely, JG is at that point as good an option as Brady is, let him have it and get what you can - if anything - for Brady, or just give Tom a watch, and carry on.

As to stuff people are unwilling to acknowledge, how about the vanishingly slight likelihood that Brady really will play, uninjured, for several more years at his present level? That ain't real at all.

Not to mention, under this approach, you get to trade Brisset, in all likelihood, for those draft picks you so cherish.

Last edited:
Or sign him as Brady's replacement then.
OMG you people just don't get it.

t's hilarious how so many people in here want to start work on Garoppolo's HOF bust right now but at the same time think the Patriots will just be able to oh-so-casually sign him to a long term deal as if other teams won't be interested.

As to stuff people are unwilling to acknowledge, how about the vanishingly slight likelihood that Brady really will play, uninjured, for several more years at his present level? That ain't real at all.
OK, Mr. Kellerman, I'll put you in the category of Brady-naysayers. That's a very large group of people who really haven't had much success over the past 17 years.
Not to mention, under this approach, you get to trade Brisset, in all likelihood, for those draft picks you so cherish.
So now you're arguing Brissett will bring back the same amount Garoppolo can? Gimme a break.

Last edited:
The overriding factor is "I am 25 and life in the NFL is short. I may have ten years left in my football career, I am don't want to spent 2-3 of them holding a clipboard".

And who knows if the Browns could build a system around him quickly with all those draft picks? And the Texans have the perfect system for him with an elite QB and a great defense and only needing a franchise QB to be a Super Bowl contender.

This is all so from JG's perspective, but none of it need matter from the Patriots' perspective. I do not believe JG's level of personal satisfaction and fulfillment must or will drive Bill's decision-making.

The only logical thing for the patriots to do would be cut or trade brady after this year. Or maybe do it now!

If JG is a great franchise qb and he is the future and the team can't afford 2 qbs with 20m plus cap hits...then brady has to go. Why would you keep him when JG plays as well and is the future?

Now, i think it's delusional to think it's possible to say JG is the next great franchise qb after 6 quarters of live play, but they're convinced that he is. I think it's delusional to cut or trade brady when he's playing well and wants to play 5 more years. But that's where they're at.

It's the metality of a delusional homer basically. "JG is worth the #1 pick plus 5 more #1s....and if they don't pay up we franchise for 5 years until brady retires and win superbowls with JG!!".

I'm not convinced the Pats are convinced that Garoppolo is the next great franchise QB. I am convinced they are trying to tell the world they do, but I also think they are doing that so the Browns will make a ridiculous trade offer to them. If the Browns are truly as hot on him as it seems, it is the best strategy to make them believe they cannot get him at any price so that they make a ridiculously stupid trade off to change the Pats' minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes