PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't get why people think the Pats can offer Garoppolo money to sit & wait for Brady to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I just heard on the radio that the Pats should just offer Garoppolo three years, $30 million to sit and wait for Brady to retire. In what fantasy world do people think Garoppolo would accept that offer?

Garoppolo wants to start and not sit for another 2-3 years. If Cleveland are going to be willing to trade a boatload of picks to get him, they are going to give him a top of the market contract. Maybe not very top of the market, but at least $20 million a year. That means that Pats would have to make Garoppolo one of the highest paid QBs in the league to be a back up for him to willingly accept a deal to be a back up.

Yeah, he might want to play for a winner. But if he has the confidence in himself he will believe wherever he goes, that team will be a winner since this is a QB driven league.

The fact is that Garoppolo knows he could start on a lot of teams now and he will be an UFA next year. That means he is likely to make at least 2/3 of that $30 million next year alone (either in a blockbuster deal somewhere else or under the franchise tag here) and get guaranteed money that would be more than that entire contract if he signs a long term deal (Osweiller did).

I would say that if the Pats want to pay Garoppolo to sit the next two to three years, the floor for the contract would be what Matt Glennon just got (3 year, $45 million with $19 million guaranteed) but more likely Brock Osweiller's contract (4 years, $72 million with $37 guaranteed) to wait until he is 28 to get his first start as the anointed starter of the Patriots. You have to pay a premium for him to sit because he knows he can start elsewhere.

As I understand it, the logic is basically him choosing "I can wait a bit and inherit the perfect system for me to play in" over "I can start now, but what will I have around me?"

I'm not advocating this but there is some small logic to a) offering a 3 year 40m deal and b) Jimmy accepting it.

Firstly, Jimmy is under contract for $1m this year. Franchise tag number is in the region of $20m. You could say to Jimmy - we are willing to give you 2 years at the franchise tag and pro rate it over a 3 year deal. This way his cap hit is roughly $13m a year - top end backup.

And his reason for accepting is thus. The Pats might make clear that they are going to franchise him next off season regardless and therefore he won't see free agency for 2 years anyway and this is a way to get some financial security. Taking football out of it, this sets him and his family up for life. And there is still no reason he couldn't be traded next off season anyway.

Of course, I don't think he would accept. He wants to play. But I'm just setting out a scenario which makes at least some sense for both parties.

Why would the pats even consider paying their starter and backup close to 20% of their total cap $? The simple fact is that either Tom or Jimmy G are gone either this season or next. QB isn't a position where they'll both see the field during the same game like the other positions.

This season seems like a perfect scenario where the Pats can maximize the value by trading Jimmy G and Jimmy G can also get a huge contract. Both sides win near and likely long term. If the trade happens, I'd think it would happen the first day of the draft.

Ok, I just heard on the radio that the Pats should just offer Garoppolo three years, $30 million to sit and wait for Brady to retire. In what fantasy world do people think Garoppolo would accept that offer?

Garoppolo wants to start and not sit for another 2-3 years. If Cleveland are going to be willing to trade a boatload of picks to get him, they are going to give him a top of the market contract. Maybe not very top of the market, but at least $20 million a year. That means that Pats would have to make Garoppolo one of the highest paid QBs in the league to be a back up for him to willingly accept a deal to be a back up.

Yeah, he might want to play for a winner. But if he has the confidence in himself he will believe wherever he goes, that team will be a winner since this is a QB driven league.

The fact is that Garoppolo knows he could start on a lot of teams now and he will be an UFA next year. That means he is likely to make at least 2/3 of that $30 million next year alone (either in a blockbuster deal somewhere else or under the franchise tag here) and get guaranteed money that would be more than that entire contract if he signs a long term deal (Osweiller did).

I would say that if the Pats want to pay Garoppolo to sit the next two to three years, the floor for the contract would be what Matt Glennon just got (3 year, $45 million with $19 million guaranteed) but more likely Brock Osweiller's contract (4 years, $72 million with $37 guaranteed) to wait until he is 28 to get his first start as the anointed starter of the Patriots. You have to pay a premium for him to sit because he knows he can start elsewhere.
I don't either, brady may be able to play at a high level for another 3-4 years, i doubt jimmy g would want to sit on the bench while his best days are wasted. To do that the pats would have to pay him starting qb money the team won't do that and it would absured if they did.

Question - guaranteed money hits the cap in the year it is paid unless it's a signing bonus, right?

So in theory NE could give JG a contract that "only" pays him a few million in 2017 and 2018 and then kicks in at real starting QB money in 2019 and guarantees 2017-2020 (so that JG doesn't have to worry about getting screwed if he gets hurt in practice next year) and it won't be a big cap hit until the big salary starts in 2019?

(Note: I do NOT think NE would ever offer this and I do NOT think JG would sign it. I'm just curious about what the rules are.)

The Patriots are absolutely loaded offensively so I can't imagine Brady having anything other than another monster season in 2017, so the goalposts for his CLIFF will have to be moved back yet again. If they aren't getting what they wanted in terms of offers they should simply hang onto Garrapolo and deal with it when someone does offer them the value they want. I wonder if the Saints will decide its time to move on from Brees and go after Garrapolo?

If Brady plays only 3 seasons, Jimmy really has little choice for 2 of them since he's under contract now and we can always franchise him the following year. BB controls his destiny, so for the time being he is getting paid to ride the bench even if it's against his wishes.

Compare the Patriots with any other organiztion Jimmy G could wind up starting for.

I can see good reasons to go get a gig now if possible, but there's plenty of reasons for Jimmy G to be patient too. It really depends on whether BB is willing to give up on TB12 a year early like he has for so many other stars. If he is, then give Brady a hard limit of 2018 as the end of his Patriots career and turn the reins over to Jimmy G. A few wilderness years for Brady won't tarnish his reputation too much (and I think Brady would be too smart to sign with the organizations that would really be a FU to us if he signed with, like the Jest) and transitioning to the younger model to keep the dyasty alive is a move he'd probably understand even if he didn't like it.

To answer your question, in this world you pay people money for them to do what you want. Everyone has a price.

JG would be out of his mind to take any extension right now. In a year from now Pats will franchise him at 23m or whatever it is and then negotiate a new contract.

If they don't trade him, then we all can fuel the speculation that this will be Brady's last year.

Looking for a Brady extension will also be telling. If Brady is extended their is no reason to keep JG this year and lose him in 2019 for nothing.

The Pats are planning on winning this year. And if they do with Brady, he will be back for a 3peat. I do think they have decided to keep JG as backup this year. They know they can franchise and trade him next year. They will get less next year - but I think they feel having him as a backup this year justifies that.

As I understand it, the logic is basically him choosing "I can wait a bit and inherit the perfect system for me to play in" over "I can start now, but what will I have around me?"
Except that this logic leaves out the issue of money and I expect that is quite a large part of the equation for JG

I think it comes down to two things.

1. Do the Patriots think JG is a franchise QB.
2. Is JG willing to wait on Brady to retire without causing any trouble.

If the answer to those is yes the money and contracts will work themselves out.

Don't pay too much attention to the talking heads. Better information in these forums. We think the Pats have flexibility to do this because they have a lot of cap space and no draft picks. We think Jimmy G. might be OK with this because Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young did. What we don't know is what the team knows about TB12's future, JG's potential, and Jacoby's potential. Coach knows all those things. If TB12 has an exit strategy that works for JG and the cap, then this could happen. If Cleveland hands us their draft for JG and Coach thinks JB can replace TB12 or that they can draft a suitable replacement, then JG is gone.

Except that this logic leaves out the issue of money and I expect that is quite a large part of the equation for JG

Logic also includes Football players want to play and want to get paid to play. Not sit on the bench holding a clipboard.

Compare the Patriots with any other organiztion Jimmy G could wind up starting for.

I can see good reasons to go get a gig now if possible, but there's plenty of reasons for Jimmy G to be patient too. It really depends on whether BB is willing to give up on TB12 a year early like he has for so many other stars. If he is, then give Brady a hard limit of 2018 as the end of his Patriots career and turn the reins over to Jimmy G. A few wilderness years for Brady won't tarnish his reputation too much (and I think Brady would be too smart to sign with the organizations that would really be a FU to us if he signed with, like the Jest) and transitioning to the younger model to keep the dyasty alive is a move he'd probably understand even if he didn't like it.

Start for the Texans in 2017 or wait to start for the Pats in 2019? If I am Garoppolo, I am checking the real estate market in Houston.

And people need to remember, Belichick is going to be 65 in a month. If Garoppolo has to wait 2-3 years to start here, how many years will be starting for Belichick? One? Two? Three?

People need to stop thinking that this is the only place where Garoppolo could win Lombardi trophies.

The other thing is if he really wants to play here in THREE or FOUR years past this season. He could just sign a 4 year deal with Cleveland, and come here as a free agent? The only problem with that would be if Brady quit sooner, and he was still under that Cleveland contract.

If Jimmy gets a new 3 year deal ... it's in his best interest financially and personally ... much easier to trade
him with the new team knowing they have him locked up for 3 years with no need to use their franchise tag in 2018 or 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News