PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't get why people think the Pats can offer Garoppolo money to sit & wait for Brady to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all so from JG's perspective, but none of it need matter from the Patriots' perspective. I do not believe JG's level of personal satisfaction and fulfillment must or will drive Bill's decision-making.

This is 100% not true. If the Pats intend to sit Garoppolo for the next three years, they better care where his head is at unless they don't care about paying him the franchise tag in 2018, 20% over his 2018 salary or 20% the franchise tag (whichever is higher) in 2019, 20% over his 2019 salary in 2020 if he is pissed off enough that he lost three years of playing time, and lose him in 2021 for the same reason.

The Pats only don't have to care about how Garoppolo feels about being a back up this year. After that, he is guaranteed over $20 million a year from the Patriots whether he is a starter or a back up because he won't take less than the franchise tag money per year after this year.

And Belichick is always looking several years down the road.

I'll tell you right now. If Garoppolo is on the roster in 2018, Brady will not be. That is the only way Garoppolo is staying with the Pats.

This is 100% not true. If the Pats intend to sit Garoppolo for the next three years, they better care where his head is at unless they don't care about paying him the franchise tag in 2018, 20% over his 2018 salary or 20% the franchise tag (whichever is higher) in 2019, 20% over his 2019 salary in 2020 if he is pissed off enough that he lost three years of playing time, and lose him in 2021 for the same reason.

The Pats only don't have to care about how Garoppolo feels about being a back up this year. After that, he is guaranteed over $20 million a year from the Patriots whether he is a starter or a back up because he won't take less than the franchise tag money per year after this year.

And Belichick is always looking several years down the road.

Well, only a brute would fail to cherish your charming sensitivity to the feelings of others.

I wasn't aware that Brady has been 40 for the last 17 years. Interesting.
Sure thing, Mr. Kellerman. He'll fall off the cliff any day now. In fact, maybe the Patriots should just cut him since he had such a horrible season last year and start future HOF-er Jimmy Garoppolo.

I said nothing about "the same amount." If you wanna argue, argue like a man, with at least a little intellectual integrity.
Stop being such a gutless wonder. You said "You get to trade Brissett for those draft picks you so cherish."

Obviously that implies the same return as for Garoppolo. Now you're backtracking as fast as possible because you know you are making a complete jackass out of yourself.

I said nothing about "the same amount." If you wanna argue, argue like a man, with at least a little intellectual integrity.
Argue like a man??? You could do worse than have the intellectual integrity and assurance that Ms. Patchick has....perhaps you meant to say "argue like a man, with at least a little petulance and foot-stomping."

Anyone who thinks the Pats can keep Jimmy for less than 20m+ APY are idiots. Anyone who thinks BB is going to pay a backup that amount of money is an even bigger idiot.

Take JG's salary this coming year, add a reasonable estimate as to the franchise number the year following, divide by two. There is your per-year number for a quality backup and heir-apparent. It's not a number that will induce fiscal joy, certainly, but it isn't 20 million either, and as a number representing a worst-case scenario - assuming that is that he will not get the job through injury or declining performance on the part of Brady - it isn't all that awful a number.

Stop being such a gutless wonder. You said "You get to trade Brissett for those draft picks you so cherish."

Obviously that implies the same return as for Garoppolo. Now you're backtracking as fast as possible because you know you are making a complete jackass out of yourself.

Well, no. I do not see the implication you suggest. Perhaps it is a delusion, born of insecurity.

Why would the pats even consider paying their starter and backup close to 20% of their total cap $?

Because in this scenario the Pats would be paying basically what amounts to one super enormous QB deal in todays market.

It probably won't happen, but it's possible

Take JG's salary this coming year, add a reasonable estimate as to the franchise number the year following, divide by two. There is your per-year number for a quality backup and heir-apparent.
That's a stupid way to look at it. This year's salary is a certainty, next year's is not, and while you want to average it out in your head, the salary cap doesn't quite work that way.

When we are in the 2018 offseason, it would be moronic to say "we only paid JG $1 million last year so let's pay him $23 million this year because that's only $12 million per year."

Well, no. I do not see the implication you suggest. Perhaps it is a delusion, born of insecurity.
The whole point of trading JG is to get valuable, first round draft picks. Obviously I do not advocate trading JG for a 4th rounder. So for you to say we can just trade Brissett "and get the draft picks you cherish so much" implies we are getting similar value.

That's ok, keep backtracking buddy.... you've made enough gaffes for one day so I don't blame you....

1) The greater the risks associated with your starting quarterback, the more important it is to have a sound backup and a replacement on hand.

2) There are risks associated with a 40+year-old quarterback.

3) Keeping JG addresses both problems associated with these risks.

4) Is there a financial price to be paid for indemnifying oneself against such risks? Of course! There always is.

5) So, keep him, and pay the bill.

That's a stupid way to look at it. This year's salary is a certainty, next year's is not, and while you want to average it out in your head, the salary cap doesn't quite work that way.

When we are in the 2018 offseason, it would be moronic to say "we only paid JG $1 million last year so let's pay him $23 million this year because that's only $12 million per year."

Next year's money is part of the hypothetical under discussion. Yawn.

If Brady plays only 3 seasons, Jimmy really has little choice for 2 of them since he's under contract now and we can always franchise him the following year. BB controls his destiny, so for the time being he is getting paid to ride the bench even if it's against his wishes.
Tofranchise him would probably cost over $20 million a year, who pays a player $20+ million a year to sit?

The whole point of trading JG is to get valuable, first round draft picks. Obviously I do not advocate trading JG for a 4th rounder. So for you to say we can just trade Brissett "and get the draft picks you cherish so much" implies we are getting similar value.

That's ok, keep backtracking buddy.... you've made enough gaffes for one day so I don't blame you....
I am delighted to have your emotional support in my time of alleged need.

Compare the Patriots with any other organiztion Jimmy G could wind up starting for.

I can see good reasons to go get a gig now if possible, but there's plenty of reasons for Jimmy G to be patient too. It really depends on whether BB is willing to give up on TB12 a year early like he has for so many other stars. If he is, then give Brady a hard limit of 2018 as the end of his Patriots career and turn the reins over to Jimmy G. A few wilderness years for Brady won't tarnish his reputation too much (and I think Brady would be too smart to sign with the organizations that would really be a FU to us if he signed with, like the Jest) and transitioning to the younger model to keep the dyasty alive is a move he'd probably understand even if he didn't like it.
This is an incredibly skewed, biased post, and this is not how players think at all.

Pro athletes do not look at franchises and think, "man, that place is a cesspool, if I go there it will ruin my career." Pro athletes are arrogant and prideful, and they think, "yeah, that organization sucks, but I'm so good that I could go there, be there savior, and turn it around." If what you were saying is true, the Browns/Rams/Jets/etc would never sign free agents. No matter how terrible a franchise is, money talks.

If Jimmy G is seriously going to re-up (there's no chance in hell that happens, by the way, I'm just humoring this for the sake of discussion) with Brady stating that intends to mid until his mid-40's, then I would seriously question Jimmy's drive and desire to win.

Barring a catastrophic injury or decline in play with Brady, Jimmy is as good as gone. It doesn't make sense from Jimmy's standpoint and it doesn't make sense from the Pats standpoint (committing that much money to a backup QB, when they could spend it improving the roster elsewhere).

If Garoppolo is on the roster in 2018, Brady will not be. That is the only way Garoppolo is staying with the Pats.
That's really the bottom line. Due to $$$$...

If Garoppolo is on the roster in 2018, Brady will not be.
If Brady is on the roster in 2018, Garoppolo will not be.

Choose.

Tofranchise him would probably cost over $20 million a year, who pays a player $20+ million a year to sit?
No one WANTS to. But view the matter in context. No one want to be stuck with a needle, but you might want to have that vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes