PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I can't believe how badly the defense was hurt by the lack of confidence BB showed

Status
Not open for further replies.

makewayhomer

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
oh wait, they came out and played just fine this week, somehow, despite the fact that BB gave them such a huge diss last week. never mind.

this is why playing armchair psychologist is a fools game

Last edited:
Re: I can't believe how badly the defense was hurt by the lack of confidence BB showe

oh wait, they came out and played just fine this week, somehow, despite the fact that BB gave them such a huge diss last week. never mind.

They came out pretty pissed off. It's still entirely possible that they came out with a chip on their shoulders and Rodney Harrison did say as much in the halftime show tonight. However, neither you nor I nor anyone else on here will ever know just how big that collective chip was unless someone comes out and publicly states how big it was, which is highly unlikely.

Re: I can't believe how badly the defense was hurt by the lack of confidence BB showe

They failed their first test against the Colts, but they can redeem themselves against the Saints. The Monday night game is going to hyped up all week. Can't wait!

Last edited:

They came out pretty pissed off. It's still entirely possible that they came out with a chip on their shoulders and Rodney Harrison did say as much in the halftime show tonight. However, neither you nor I nor anyone else on here will ever know just how big that collective chip was unless someone comes out and publicly states how big it was, which is highly unlikely.

lololol

so you are now saying they had a chip on their shoulder, so BB HELPED them??

this is just a narrative fallacy - making up stories after the fact to make you feel warm and cuddly about cliches:

The narrative fallacy then refers to the propensity to engage in story-telling, summarizations, and simplifications to reduce the dimension of matters. People are vulnerable to over interpretation preferring neat sequential stories over raw truth. Take for example the media’s propensity to explain movement’s in the financial markets. The same weak economic data can be used by the media to explain either a rally or a selloff. If the market rallies on the bad economic numbers the media will attribute the rally to an increase in the likelihood that the Federal Reserve will cut rates or an increase in the chance of the government passing a stimulus package. If the market sells off, then the media will attribute the selloff to the same weak economic numbers and the lower corporate earnings that will ensue.

Another example of a narrative fallacy would be the widely held belief that the assassination of JFK involved a conspiracy. A recent ABC news poll found that nearly 70% of Americans believed there was a cover up of President Kennedy’s assassination. There are at least five JFK assassination conspiracy theories ranging from the Russians, to the Cubans, to the mob, to the CIA, to the History Channel’s version of the secret service/LBJ conspiracy. The raw truth is there was no conspiracy. Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman. Then why do most insist on a conspiracy? People find it hard to believe that someone as inconsequential as Lee Harvey Oswald could have assassinated someone as consequential as John F. Kennedy. They have to search for a reason they have to look for an explanation for therapeutic purposes. Similarly, most engage in categorization even though categorization leads to pathology and distorts reality. Reality is often sacrificed for simplicity.

lololol

this is just a narrative fallacy - making up stories after the fact to make you feel warm and cuddly about cliches:

Wow, thanks for that awesome learning experience. :rolleyes:

So are you saying that you don't think that the defense came out NOTICEABLY more angry than they have this entire season? They were absolutely fired up. If you can't see that, I would recommend Lasik surgery.

Wow, makewayhomer how long have you been waiting for an excuse to pull that one out of your stinky darkhole?

This is a sports chat forum, I don't expect people's theories to follow the norms of Popperian falsificationism.

Last edited:

Face it: They hate their coach. :rolleyes:

You can continue to focus on the essentially meaningless games against the colts and saints. I will continue to focus on the division games. To me this game and the two Miami games are much more important than the regular season games with the colts and the saints. Now the post season games with the colts and saints are another matter entirely.

Of course, it is always better to win so the games aren't really totally "meaningless".

They failed their first test against the Colts, but they can redeem themselves against the Saints. The Monday night game is going to hyped up all week. Can't wait!

They lost last week. Do you have a point?

MAKEWAYGOMER!

gomer_pyle.jpg

You can continue to focus on the essentially meaningless games against the colts and saints. I will continue to focus on the division games. To me this game and the two Miami games are much more important than the regular season games with the colts and the saints. Now the post season games with the colts and saints are another matter entirely.

Of course, it is always better to win so the games aren't really totally "meaningless".

In the NFL, every win counts until the playoff slotting is finalized.

The way the Patriots went out and kicked the hell out of the Colts this week showed that the team has really rallied around Belichick's decision. Anyone watching the game might have thought that the Patriots were playing a sub .500 team with a rookie QB who's been stinking up the joint.

Even though I think most of the psychological effects of last week took place..... last week, after the idiotic decision to go for it on 4th down, I was stunned at how ineffective that defense made Peyton Manning today. Without knowing it was him out there, you might have thought it was someone like a Mark Sanchez or something.

How bout the game turned in yesterday by Big Vince! He was an absolutle beast in the middle, stuffing any run game they had, and then the one time they try the wildcat, the Pats played it absolutley perfectly QB covered, ptichman covered, Big Vince moves out to DE, and nobody can move him off the edge, and he wipes out the play for a 4 yard loss, game over, time to punt.

How exactly did they fail against the Colts?

lololol

Please spare us the pop Epistemology. And don't bring something like the Narrative Fallacy into play unless you know what you're talking about. The Narrative Fallacy is a lot more nuanced than your quote (source, BTW?) allows and is more typically used by folks like Taleb to explain how people deal with Black Swan Events. I doubt that the behavior of the Pats D this week qualifies as a Black Swan Event.

To my simple mind, BB called out his D, the D responded and stuffed the Jets.

Please spare us the pop Epistemology. And don't bring something like the Narrative Fallacy into play unless you know what you're talking about. The Narrative Fallacy is a lot more nuanced than your quote (source, BTW?) allows and is more typically used by folks like Taleb to explain how people deal with Black Swan Events. I doubt that the behavior of the Pats D this week qualifies as a Black Swan Event.

To my simple mind, BB called out his D, the D responded and stuffed the Jets.

Yeah well you forget that you're dealing with a BIG THINKER here. An intellectual powerhouse...

is the Black Swan event in any way associated with the Ugly Duckling corollary?

Last edited:

That you, John Wayne? Is this me?

only in the original Sanskrit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye