PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hoyer Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think that was really the issue, unless I missed some posts. It’s about carrying two or three quarterbacks and the value of having a veteran who knows the system/can mentor a rookie for a bridge year. I don’t think anyone is saying Hoyer is a more valuable asset than Stidham.
Believe me I understand exactly what Hoyers role is/was. Please go look at my post on the subject.

I think i was the first & maybe the only one suggesting Hoyers value/presence helps Stidham considering Brady would be locked in during the year.

The value in the film room, practice field. I absolutely get all that.

Last edited:
Lots were saying Hoyer was more valuable now. Lots were arguing that it would be the most shocking thing ever if he was cut. No matter how many times some of us said but Bill has done it before. Some people used the more likely to win 2 games if Brady is hurt stuff over and over. People made the same arguments when jimmy g was traded and Hoyer brought in. If they bring Hoyer back tomorrow those people are right, otherwise.....

Mincey over Dunlap is an interesting statement. It’s kind of true but only because Dunlap was still in high school when Mincey was drafted

If you’re going to be sanctimonious, at least get your facts straight. The guy you were looking for was Jermaine Cunningham
Damnit I was back and forth on the 2 players thank you.

Lots were saying Hoyer was more valuable now. Lots were arguing that it would be the most shocking thing ever if he was cut. No matter how many times some of us said but Bill has done it before. Some people used the more likely to win 2 games if Brady is hurt stuff over and over. People made the same arguments when jimmy g was traded and Hoyer brought in. If they bring Hoyer back tomorrow those people are right, otherwise.....
Well clearly the folks that were arguing that Jarrett was ready to be QB#2 get the W, if that's a thing. I was not, so I was wrong. I thought Andy was the only one who cared about always winning arguments but maybe not. Does Ian hand out gold stars to argument winners, if so, I didn't get the memo.

Well clearly the folks that were arguing that Jarrett was ready to be QB#2 get the W, if that's a thing. I was not, so I was wrong. I thought Andy was the only one who cared about always winning arguments but maybe not. Does Ian hand out gold stars to argument winners, if so, I didn't get the memo.
If there were gold stars, they wouldn’t have been handed out yet. This is easy for me to say, as I wasn’t in line for a star and predicted incorrectly.

So far.

Less surprising than after preseason game 1, where guys were jumping routes on Stidham all day. Stidham improved noticeably over the preseason, he really seemed to address some of the telegraphing and also just looked increasingly confident and smooth. Even sucked the D away from DT on their second TD. He needs reps so I imagine he may get some garbage time reps during the season.

No, but there is a difference between saying I think it would be best if the Pats keep Hoyer, or treating all the posters who question that as if we were idiots. Despite the examples given. Kind of a growing up or don’t be a d-bag kinda thing. Grownups call it a life lesson.

If Hoyer's agent plays his cards right he might get Hoyer a raise with his new team as there appears to be multiple teams that will have interest in him.
Seattle currently has no back-up QB's. Denver put rookie QB Lock on IR. Indy's back-up QB Kelly is suspended for first 2 games.

If Hoyer's agent plays his cards right he might get Hoyer a raise with his new team as there appears to be multiple teams that will have interest in him.
Seattle currently has no back-up QB's. Denver put rookie QB Lock on IR. Indy's back-up QB Kelly is suspended for first 2 games.

Maybe BB released Hoyer so he could pick and negotiate a new deal? Respecting the veteran?

I believed it then and I do now...having Hoyer (the player) on the team would hinder Stidham's growth...I never wavered. However I'd be more then thrilled if he retired and was hired as a coach...ASAP. And if Tom goes down...Hoyer can un-retire and backup Stidham.

I have no idea how good a coach Hoyer is. I guess I am not sure why everyone thinks he would be great, but he seems like a decent guy. My guess is he would rather make much more money as a player if that is still an option, but who knows.

retired players don't make $1.5M

I believed it then and I do now...having Hoyer (the player) on the team would hinder Stidham's growth...I never wavered. However I'd be more then thrilled if he retired and was hired as a coach...ASAP. And if Tom goes down...Hoyer can un-retire and backup Stidham.

retired players don't make $1.5M

Obviously...but could they on Bob's shadow roster? Why not. It depends on how valuable they think he is. Is $1M worth enough to have a 3rd QB?

Not really

Ok, one person was arguing that, but I figured he was speaking for a vast silent majority.

Or I was hungover and pissy.

I warned him about driving through or flying over Ohio.

I'll take it, since this is about as magnanimous a concession as one can get on an Internet forum.

As an aside, I do appreciate the "disrespect Andy" move, I've done it myself a few times now.

I disagree about Butler. Given Butlers's play in Tenn and the reports about his week leading up to the game, isn't it just a matter that Bill decided that he wasn't among his best CB option for THAT game.
And that was a mistake. Rowe failed to do his job so Gilmore had to clean up his mess. Jordan Richards was also his pathetic self. I don’t think anyone would argue Butler wasn’t playing well. But the alternatives were still not a better then him.

I disagree with Moroney. For a late round pick and the fact he had an up and down caree marked by injuries, the end result was a modestly good career and not the abject bust rep he's been given.
He should’ve had a monster year in 2007 with all the attention the passing game was getting. 2008 should’ve been a big year as well with Brady injured, but he got injured too. Although he did pick up some big boy yards in short yardage situations at crucial moments, he was underwhelming overall.

Mincy over Dunlap was more the fact that Dunlap was not a scheme fit (though neither was Mincy obviously. ;) ) A mistake in hindsight that was explainable at the time.
The irony is that they went to a 4 man front shortly after. That was a big goof on BB.

Ok, one person was arguing that, but I figured he was speaking for a vast silent majority.

Or I was hungover and pissy.

It be like that sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back