PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Howe: Pats Ecstatic with Mac this Offseason (so far)

But, only so he doesn't have to listen to Cal McNair rub it in that the Texans have a more recent playoff win than the Pats.
Does anyone know if one of those Texans letterman jackets from 2012 is on display at the Patriots hall of fame?

I am all for that, but I am not grading Jones on those types of plays. I am grading on whether we win the game or not...if Jones wants to check it down all day and we score 30+....sign me up.
That's fine, but Buffalo choked off those throws because they did not fear the Pat's long ball.

That's fine, but Buffalo choked off those throws because they did not fear the Pat's long ball.
We also didn't have a reliable 3rd down RB like James White.

Eventually yes the expectation and pressure will be there for him to truly catapult the team but that doesn’t necessarily have to be this year. I think he’ll have plenty chances to get where he needs to be regardless of how this year goes.

Expectations (not mine) generally are pretty low for the patriots for 2022 and that would only lower the pressure on him too. Many afc teams have loaded up this offseason while weve made modest additions here and there, some think weve downgraded the team and are likely on the outside looking in for the afc playoffs . There is also the coaching uncertainty on the offensive side which is raising concern all around. I think we will be okay on both ends and have a year similar to 2021 but this is what im seeing and hearing. If the pats and mac have a down year, everyone will likely blame bb for it on the above points. Not saying less pressure on mac is better or what i want but thats the feeling i get.

Yes, I think the pressure is pretty low on Jones considering. People will be making excuses for him from the coaching staff to the Pats' offseason and not getting him enough weapons to how much the rest of the AFC has improved if he doesn't take a big step in his second year. From a pressure standpoint, Jones doesn't seem to have a lot of it for a second year QB. I think of the top five QBs taken in last year’s draft, he and Justin Fields may have the least amount of pressure.

We also didn't have a reliable 3rd down RB like James White.
Huh?
Brandon Bolden was #2 in 3rd down receptions by RBs in 2021 with 18 receptions
Brandon Bolden was #2 in 3rd down receptions for 1st downs by RBs with 10 1st downs.

Most impressive about Bolden's stats last year is where he caught the ball and what he did with it

In 2021, Bolden amassed 405 receiving yards.
His YAC (yards after catch) was 416 yards

In other words, he averaged catching the ball 0.25 yds behind the LOS

On 3rd down...
Bolden amassed 191 receiving yds
His YAC on 3rd down was 193 yds

I'm pleased to hear Mac looks better physically, has better movement, better diet and seemingly better velocity on the football. He also said he plans putting more muscle on and continuing to increase his arm strength.

Hes doing all the right things.

Last edited:
I think Zach Wilson has the most pressure on him out of the QB class from 2021 year because New York.

Huh?

On 3rd down...

interesting, 18 third down receptions, 191 receiving yards on third down. So a hair over ten yards per catch. Not too shabby, that will convert a lot of thevtime.

would be interesting to know # of targets on third down, or third down catch percentage. I’d bet it’s pretty good. Catches behind the LOS are good high percentage plays. Great way to move the chains. And you know defenses had to be aware and targeting those plays.

interesting, 18 third down receptions, 191 receiving yards on third down. So a hair over ten yards per catch. Not too shabby, that will convert a lot of thevtime.

would be interesting to know # of targets on third down, or third down catch percentage. I’d bet it’s pretty good. Catches behind the LOS are good high percentage plays. Great way to move the chains. And you know defenses had to be aware and targeting those plays.
He was shockingly good last year. Never been a huge fan per se, but props for what has to be by far and away his best year as a pass catcher. He delivered.

Remember when Pats faithful couldn't contain themselves about Sanu's impressive offseason

steve carell anchorman GIF

Huh?
Brandon Bolden was #2 in 3rd down receptions for 1st downs by RBs with 10 1st downs.

Most impressive about Bolden's stats last year is where he caught the ball and what he did with it

In 2021, Bolden amassed 405 receiving yards.
His YAC (yards after catch) was 416 yards

On 3rd down...

Yup, but Bolden ain't no Sweet Feet.

White was catching balls on deep wheel routes from Mac earlier in the season. His numbers from weeks 1 and 2: 13 targets, 12 receptions, 94 yards...with two long plays of 26 and 28 yards respectively.

On the other hand, Bolden only eclipsed 50 yards receiving 3X the rest of the season...vs. the Bucs, Jets, and Titans. And he only had 4 receptions of 20+ yards. In the WC loss to Buffalo, he had 4/6 for 27 yards....with a long of 12.

Now, I love me some Brandon Bolden...but he ain't no Sweet Feet...a.k.a. Hero of Houston!

White was catching balls on deep wheel routes from Mac earlier in the season. His numbers from weeks 1 and 2: 13 targets, 12 receptions, 94 yards...with two long plays of 26 and 28 yards respectively.

On the other hand, Bolden only eclipsed 50 yards receiving 3X the rest of the season...vs. the Bucs, Jets, and Titans. And he only had 4 receptions of 20+ yards. In the WC loss to Buffalo, he had 4/6 for 27 yards....with a long of 12.

Now, I love me some Brandon Bolden...but he ain't no Sweet Feet...a.k.a. Hero of Houston!

Yep, bolden performed admirably but hes no sweet feet. Still remains to be seen if hes the same pre injury but if so he would be huge to have especially for a young qb. Him and henry seem to have great chemistry with mac already though its a small sample with white .

Unfortunately, Sweet Feet may not be Sweet Feet.

Hoping for the best, but he suffered a brutal injury for a RB.

Remember when Pats faithful couldn't contain themselves about Sanu's impressive offseason

steve carell anchorman GIF

Corey Dillon after he fell off a cliff in the 2005 season. Agent hyped him up saying he was working out a ton and would bounce back for 2006. He didn't, and we all remember him tapping out in the 2006 AFCCG running out of bounds on a breakaway run. You knew that was his final game.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Sweet Feet may not be Sweet Feet.

Hoping for the best, but he suffered a brutal injury for a RB.
Agreed, it's good to have him back on his current contract, but I'm glad that they have the options of Montgomery and the rook if he isn't his old self.

Yep, bolden performed admirably but hes no sweet feet. Still remains to be seen if hes the same pre injury but if so he would be huge to have especially for a young qb. Him and henry seem to have great chemistry with mac already though its a small sample with white .
We also took the Strong kid in the draft...plus J.J. Taylor could be a Dion Lewis copy cat.....

The guy you tout averaged 7.8 yds/catch, sweet 'deep wheel routes' included'
The guy you minimize averaged 9.9 yds.

Also kinda of bizarre is how you diminish Boldens three 50+ yds receiving games (2 vs playoff bound teams) yet you conveniently fail to mention White had zero 50 yd games receiving while healthy.

Truly one of the worst stat supported arguments I've seen on this board

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes