PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Howe: Pats Ecstatic with Mac this Offseason (so far)

Why do you think this? I don't think he's really under any pressure at all.

My top 5 QB's under the most pressure:

5. Trever Lawrence - show us why you were the #1 overall pick.
4. Tua Tagovailoa - lots of firepower added. Time to put that pea shooter to work.
3. Justin Herbert - time to get your team to the playoffs buddy. You have plenty of talent.
2. Kyler Murray - keeps flaming out near the end of the season.
1. Lamar Jackson - Has regressed every year since catching the NFL off guard (like Kaepernick). Finished last place in the division. Going into your 4th year, that should never happen if you're a Franchise QB. Ravens have some thinking to do.

You can throw Daniel Jones in there too…he should probably be at the top

Good call. I’d take out Lawerence and throw him in there.

Move everyone down a notch with Jones being #1 on the list.

Good call. I’d take out Lawerence and throw him in there.

Move everyone down a notch with Jones being #1 on the list.
I think that any QB with a new HC probably gets a pass (Lawrence, DJones, Fields, Mills). The only exception may be Tua given the amount of weapons the team brought in on the offensive side of the ball.

That's why I believe Mac is in the top 5 under pressure to perform. He's got the Goat HC going into his 2nd year, after a year in which he exceeded expectations. The fact Bill also loaded up again on the O side of the ball, at the very least, puts pressure to not only make it back to playoffs but to go beyond the WC game.

Mac has the unfortunate added pressure of following the Goat QB, so the fan base expectations are an added level of pressure. Can't wait to see how he handles this in his sophmore season.

I think that any QB with a new HC probably gets a pass (Lawrence, DJones, Fields, Mills). The only exception may be Tua given the amount of weapons the team brought in on the offensive side of the ball.
Daniel Jones is in the final year of his contract and has underperformed. He’s under immense pressure as this is his last chance.
That's why I believe Mac is in the top 5 under pressure to perform. He's got the Goat HC going into his 2nd year, after a year in which he exceeded expectations. The fact Bill also loaded up again on the O side of the ball, at the very least, puts pressure to not only make it back to playoffs but to go beyond the WC game.
Loading up on the offensive side of the ball is a stretch. WR is still a question mark as people are divided on Thornton and Parker is no guarantee. Now had Bill added Hill, Adams or any elite WR, you’d have a better case.

You could also argue the O-line having questions.

They’ve also regressed on D.

And although he has Bill, there’s a thread dedicated to the concerns of the coaching staff.

Mac has the unfortunate added pressure of following the Goat QB, so the fan base expectations are an added level of pressure. Can't wait to see how he handles this in his sophmore season.
I can agree that Mac probably feels pressure following Tom Brady, but most would agree the Pats aren’t in Super Bowl contention right now. I just don’t see Mac under that much pressure at this moment. However, if they don’t make the playoffs or flame out early in the next two years, the seat will warm up.

Last edited:
Daniel Jones is in the final year of his contract and has underperformed. He’s under immense pressure as this is his last chance.
In order to be under pressure, you need people to believe you need to perform. There isn't one person that expects D Jones to perform.

Loading up on the offensive side of the ball is a stretch. WR is still a question mark as people are divided on Thornton and Parker is no guarantee. Now had Bill added Hill, Adams or any elite WR, you’d have a better case.
Bill drafted 70% offensive players when most ppl believed he would load up on defense. That's saying a lot. Bringing in Parker is an indication he wants to stretch the field, especially outside the numbers. Drafting a speedy non- PTP WR is another sign of wanting to go more vertical on offense. Of course there's no guarantees. Bill wasn't allowed to bring in top end talent by Kraft. Not that it's his MO anyway.

And although he has Bill, there’s a thread dedicated to the concerns of the coaching staff.
Sure, there are concerns w/ the team. No doubt. Yet, Bill demands so much respect, no one is willing to write the Pats off, especially because of Mac's future potential.

I can agree that Mac probably feels pressure following Tom Brady, but most would agree the Pats aren’t in Super Bowl contention right now. I just don’t see Mac under that much pressure at this moment. However, if they don’t make the playoffs or flame out early in the next two years, the seat will warm up.

We'll agree to disagree. I think Kraft alone is expecting a lot from Mac. Peter Schrager even has Mac as a dark horse MVP candidate. That's pressure.

I'm not sure it's that black and white. The D line is unchanged and there is stilll time for an addition.. flowers maybe? The Lbs are a huge unknown but in terms of atributes they are younger and faster which is what everyone thinks was needed. The secondary has lost JC but has gained Jon jones back and whilst jC will be missed i think we actually have a lot more depth with mitchell and Butler plus the draft picks.

I think Tua might be close to the top. With all the support he has now it’s make or break time. No excuses.
We’ll see this year. Tua had some real excuses the last two years: an absolutely horrible hip injury that ended the career of most players, perhaps the worst OL in the league, and missing off season prep due to COVID and injury his first year. He seemed slow to pick up the system, he had clearly lost arm velocity and simply didn’t look like the same QB he was at Alabama.

This year by all accounts he is finally completely healed and he looks to be in fantastic shape, much more muscular (his legs look like a power RB). He has great receivers and a much improved OL. If he doesn’t shine this year he is likely “OUT” as a starting NFL QB. We’ll see.

I think there's a lot of pressure on Zach Wilson too. He needs to show something in his second year with Jete

nah, they turned down his fifth year option... hes dead man walking in ny

There's no pressure on these QBs:

1. Lawrence: Jags, enough said. Plus new HC. Projected wins: 6.5
2. Wilson: Jete, enough said. Projected wins: 5.5
3. DJones: Giants, enough said. Plus new HC. Projected wins: 7.5
4. Fields: Bears, enough said. Plus new HC. Projected wins: 6.5
5. Mills: Texans, enough said. Plus new HC. Projected wins: 4.5

None of these teams are making the playoffs or even expected to.

I can see Murray (9.5), Lamar (9.5), Herbert (10.5), Carr (8.5), Tua (8.5) and Mac (8.5) having the most pressure because of their teams and potential to make the playoffs.

There's no pressure on these QBs:

1. Lawrence: Jags, enough said. Plus new HC. Projected wins: 6.5
2. Wilson: Jete, enough said. Projected wins: 5.5
3. DJones: Giants, enough said. Plus new HC. Projected wins: 7.5
4. Fields: Bears, enough said. Plus new HC. Projected wins: 6.5
5. Mills: Texans, enough said. Plus new HC. Projected wins: 4.5

None of these teams are making the playoffs or even expected to.

I can see Murray (9.5), Lamar (9.5), Herbert (10.5), Carr (8.5), Tua (8.5) and Mac (8.5) having the most pressure because of their teams and potential to make the playoffs.

The first 5 QBs have to show significant improvement or everyone starts thinking bust. That is pressure. DJones is already a bust so maybe your argument works with him.

I assume Mac learns the position when he meets with BB every week and has the game film explained to him. It will be interesting to see how the Pats change the offense and if it immediately helps Mac or not.

There is way more pressure on BB than Mac in 2022 imo. Bill made a big bet on himself with this offseason and draft and the way the coaching staff is set up. I hope it works out. If it doesn’t there’s going to be a lot of uncomfortable questions being asked.

There is way more pressure on BB than Mac in 2022 imo. Bill made a big bet on himself with this offseason and draft and the way the coaching staff is set up. I hope it works out. If it doesn’t there’s going to be a lot of uncomfortable questions being asked.
Nooooooo!!! Anything but uncomfortable questions..

Hopefully for his sake he can learn to develop a defense mechanism so he can somehow deal with these uncomfortable questions.

We can perseverate about the draft and coaching staff all we want. The bottom line is that this franchise will go where Mac takes it. If he emerges as a legit franchise QB, the team will be fine. If not, it doesn't matter who you draft, or who calls the plays.
Actually it does matter who you draft.

if Mac doesn’t emerge as a legit franchise QB Zappe is waiting in the wings.

nah, they turned down his fifth year option... hes dead man walking in ny

He's playing for his NFL career though I feel. Even if the Giants decide to draft a QB in 2023, how Jones plays this year will determine whether another team will be interested in him as a starter or backup.

Here's to him avoiding a sophomore slump. I think he *could* feast this year, if they turn him loose a bit. The real question will be if our weapons end up being good enough, and there isn't a slew of Injuries on offense.

Cautiously optimistic this year, but I think by year three he'll have it put together and start dealing.

He's playing for his NFL career though I feel. Even if the Giants decide to draft a QB in 2023, how Jones plays this year will determine whether another team will be interested in him as a starter or backup.
There is merit to the argument that these guys are playing for their careers... but ultimately, by declining the 5th year option, the team is saying no mas... they aren't on a trajectory to become starters anymore...

sure, every once in a while a guy like Mitch Trubisky gets a second shot at starting... but honestly, what are the expectations for that player moving forward? Its certainly not what it once was... The player may feel the pressure to save a career... but that's a completely different type of pressure than the pressure on a guy people are looking to perform at a high level...

Mac has that pressure to perform laid across his shoulders this season... I want to see growth in year two... others on this board have talked about seeing immediate results... I think he is under a lot of pressure to repeat the first part of the season, and to avoid the second half swoon that happened once teams got sufficient tape on him... and while we are no longer the playoff lock we were with the grizzled veteran under center, we are still The Patriots. And that is always worth an extra ounce or ten of pressure because of the stature of the organization as a whole...

Trevor Lawrence? Yeah he's got some, but lets face it, all people want to see out of him is a glimpse of his future, as the Jags have completely overhauled their team in the offseason... its basically a bye for him this year...

Zach Wilson? Hes got some pressure, but again its more along the lines of "can he stay healthy" and "is he going to throw double digit ints again? There are no grand expectations for him...

Tua? this is probably the only one on rainmakers list i agreed with... Miami went out and spent a buttload getting him a weapon... No more excuses, so he is squarely in that pressure cooker, no doubt about it... first and foremost is can he stay healthy, and secondly 2600 yards and under 20 tds isn't going to cut it...

Joe Burrow? He has a ton of pressure this season... Can he provide the Bengals a repeat performance? Can he throw for 30+ tds again...

Josh Allen, same thing... can he get those 13 seconds back?

Here's to him avoiding a sophomore slump. I think he *could* feast this year, if they turn him loose a bit. The real question will be if our weapons end up being good enough, and there isn't a slew of Injuries on offense.

Cautiously optimistic this year, but I think by year three he'll have it put together and start dealing.
Year 3 of Mac can also be another year the Pats pounce on Free Agency since we will be in good shape to spend.

The giants reached like crazy for jones too. What a monumental waste of 4 years and a #6 overall pick

Why do you think this? I don't think he's really under any pressure at all.

My top 5 QB's under the most pressure:

5. Trever Lawrence - show us why you were the #1 overall pick.
4. Tua Tagovailoa - lots of firepower added. Time to put that pea shooter to work.
3. Justin Herbert - time to get your team to the playoffs buddy. You have plenty of talent.
2. Kyler Murray - keeps flaming out near the end of the season.
1. Lamar Jackson - Has regressed every year since catching the NFL off guard (like Kaepernick). Finished last place in the division. Going into your 4th year, that should never happen if you're a Franchise QB. Ravens have some thinking to do.

I would add the following QBs with possibly more pressure on them than Mack Jones.

• Zach Wilson - the former #2 overall pick was a disaster most of his rookie season. The Jet got him weapons this offseason. Time to live up to his draft status. Similar to Lawrence.
  • Matt Ryan - The Colts were a QB away from making the playoffs last year. They added Ryan to get over that hump. He needs to get into the playoffs.
  • Trey Lance (assuming he even play) - The 49ers invested three first round picks in him. People are saying he isn't ready to play in year two. At least not yet. He needs prove them wrong.
  • Marcus Mariotta and Mitchell Trubisky - Both are former high first round draft picks who flamed out with their first team. This year might be their last years to show they can be starters.
I would say Mac Jones is somewhere in the middle of the pack for pressure. He is in his second year and needs to make that second year jump, but he has a new coaching staff with little offense experience that will surely get blamed if this offense sputters this year. I think that takes a lot of pressure off of him.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back