PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How worried would you be to face the New Orleans Saints in the Superbowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingThomasEdwardBrady

On the Roster
Reaction score
They have the most balanced team in the NFL to me. Drew Brees doesn't have to win by himself with two great running backs averaging more than 5 yards a carry. The defense has a great pass rush and a secondary that has loads of ints. I think they'd be the hardest team the Patriots would have faced in the Superbowl.

They have the most balanced team in the NFL to me. Drew Brees doesn't have to win by himself with two great running backs averaging more than 5 yards a carry. The defense has a great pass rush and a secondary that has loads of ints. I think they'd be the hardest team the Patriots would have faced in the Superbowl.
Our brothers in Goddell. It would be a hell of a match.

Watch New England Patriots vs. New Orleans Saints [09/17/2017] - NFL.com

That was when the Patriots defense was in full-on suck mode, too.

I think they would provide a challenge to the Pats. Their running game has the ability to keep Brady on the sideline. I think their defense has improved since the Pats faced them early in the season. I'm not sure how good their receiving core is though, shut down the run game and double Thomas might slow down their O significantly.

I think they would provide a challenge to the Pats. Their running game has the ability to keep Brady on the sideline. I think their defense has improved since the Pats faced them early in the season. I'm not sure how good their receiving core is though, shut down the run game and double Thomas might slow down their O significantly.
As I pointed out in the week two matchup, Alvin Kamara is obviously the real deal, and he provides a nice two-headed approach in the backfield with Ingram. As a matter of fact, you may not face a better 1-2 punch from the backfield in the entire NFL.

Michael Thomas is obviously the real deal, but we already knew that. He’s a bona fide WR1 who catches 100 balls a year. Ted Ginn, while rather underwhelming, led the entire league in DVOA. He currently has 50 grabs with a 15.0+ ypa. That’s not too shabby. Brandon Coleman has a 15.8 ypa, even though he didn’t catch that many balls. You still have the TE to deal with, and the defense has greatly improved from early on in the year. At one point, posters were actually making fun of them. I think they’ve proven to be a fairly tough out, like most of the postseason competition in the NFC.

Any SB team is worthy.

NO is a top 3-5 team in the league. Balanced, versatile and have a QB/H.C. that have won a SB & beat the Pats.

They might have the oroy & droy too.

They has one of the best drafts in the last decade +

We are all friends, but in my mind, the Saints Team is the hardest win for NE, but the Saints Fans are the best for NE.

QB = Keenum, Cam, Goff, Ryan, Foles VS Brady. No contest, no maturity, especially with Cam (easy win). I'm an outsider and these guys cant hang with Brady if he wants to win a SB. Might get lucky, but cant go 12-12 157 QBR and do it, and Brady will not give up in a SB. IF you want to beat Brady in a SB you have to be willing to go punch for punch and perfection.
There's only 1 QB that has that ability.
QB = Bress vs Brady, Brees can hang and though not as good can do a perfect set and wants to win just as much, studies as much, even though not as good. Brees can focus, study get better in 1 quarter, he is more dangerous than the others.

Still QB = NE vs NO +1 NE

Last edited:
Worried??

Wouldn’t be worried about any team....it would mean the patriots are in the super bowl for a start and secondly no bad teams get to the super bowl so you have to play at your best to beat any team!

The saints are the team that I would hate least to lose to also so yeah I’d sign up for that matchup!

A TB12 v Brees SB would probably be an epic SB!

OT: I think the Saints made out pretty good in the deal. Their rookie corner looks like the next shutdown guy on most days. He has made a few mistakes as most rookies do, but he's the real deal.

Tell me all teams involved will have full health, and I'll tell you that the Vikings are the most balanced team the Patriots could face, and the most dangerous. They also have a defense that's more suited to slowing down the Patriots offense than the Saints defense. Of course, that assumes that Keenum continues playing at his current level.

As for the Saints, they've split with Atlanta and swept the Panthers and Bucs, which certainly isn't bad (It's obviously very good). But, outside of their division, they've lost to every playoff team they've faced (Minn/N.E./L.A.), which isn't good. I'd give them more than a puncher's chance against the Patriots, because of the game's location, but I'd still call it one of those "Patriots need to do a lot wrong" kind of matchups.

If the Patriots make it to the SB they could face NO, Philly, Vikings, Rams (or a WC team). Based on what I have seen of these teams and of the 2017 Patriots, confidence and concern are both warranted. NO, Philly, Vikings, Rams are definitely capable of beating the 2017 Patriots. The 2017 Patriots are definitely capable of beating any of those teams.
I know this may rain on the parade a little but IMHO the Patriots haven't shown a consistently highest level of complimentary football like they have in most recent years. OTOH they have shown in multiple times and if they play their best football they have a very potent complimentary team.
1. As others have mentioned, part of the equation is health. Who has their most capable and productive players remaining when the playoffs and ultimately the SB starts.
2. Our lack of playmaking capability at LB has me most concerned. If we had High and KVN? The D would compliment the O so nicely I'd be less concerned and more confident. But as of right now. KVN still not on the field, top passing offenses may be able to painfully exploit that glaring weakness.
3. if the Patriots can get KVN healthy and get a better LB set on the field(JH makes an impact would be nice), the OL plays well like the last Bills game, and the RBs are healthy? IMHO the question is now, shouldn't these other NFC teams be worried?
4. Ultimately just friggin get to the SB! Then after that just friggin find any way to win (patchwork, seat of the pants, throw out the gameplan, whatever wacky personnel groups -- for example the improbable win against Denver a few years ago). That kind of free for all is still a win (sometimes it is the most satisfying type too :)).

I think the NFC is deeper and more balanced, whereas the AFC appears to be more top heavy (NE, PIT, and one of JAX/KC/BAL). I just don’t feel too confident about the prospect of JAX going to Heinz field twice and beating Pittsburgh.

I have no idea who I would root to face in the NFC, aside from maybe Seattle. Carolina can be tough. The Rams are certainly formidable. We’ve discussed the Saints. The Vikings, as Deus mentioned, may be the most difficult matchup for us. Even Philly with Foles still poses a threat on some level.

I rarely worry. It's philosophically foolish to worry, and I try to keep my foolishness to a minimum. Worrying means that you're focused on the false perception that Championships are lost. How can one lose what one never owned?

That being said: I do consider the Saints a very dangerous match up.

It seems pretty wide-open to me. We're too depleted by injuries, Brady's health is too doubtful, and our defensive Front Line is looking too vulnerable to the Run for the idea of losing to any of a number of Teams to be shocking to me...Yet no Coach coaches playoff games better than Mad Bill...and there certainly isn't anything resembling a dominant team, though there're several formidable adversaries.

Last edited:
Tell me all teams involved will have full health, and I'll tell you that the Vikings are the most balanced team the Patriots could face, and the most dangerous. They also have a defense that's more suited to slowing down the Patriots offense than the Saints defense. Of course, that assumes that Keenum continues playing at his current level.

As for the Saints, they've split with Atlanta and swept the Panthers and Bucs, which certainly isn't bad (It's obviously very good). But, outside of their division, they've lost to every playoff team they've faced (Minn/N.E./L.A.), which isn't good. I'd give them more than a puncher's chance against the Patriots, because of the game's location, but I'd still call it one of those "Patriots need to do a lot wrong" kind of matchups.
so would Keenum worry you for the punt at 24-27 , when you made a FG to be up front winning or would Brees with 3 minutes left ?

So amusing to read you guys getting nervous about our speculations. That a huge part of being a fan, you jamokes!! What're you afraid that the Patriots themselves are gonna lose focus because of the ramblings of a message board??
jester.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye