PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Nail the 2024 Draft

Draft a qb at 3 and be aggressive with the other picks
Pats need blue chip talent
Trade back into first rd to control the player for 5 years instead of 4 with the 34 pick

Select only offense played on day 1 and 2

Select no special teams with draft picks
Those are udfa or just go on the streets

Based on how well they did with FAs, I am being sarcastic; I don't expect much better from them during the Draft. What is with the making the 2025 playoffs? That is a very high expectation and unrealistic. The Patriots got their best move when the Bills traded Stefon Diggs.

1) QB at 3, assuming no pathologically generous offer is made for the pick, which I do not expect.

2) Take the best OT available 2nd round or trade up for one. I think there are likely (both this year and generally) to be more WR options later in the draft than OT options, who go higher.

3) Take a flyer at an X WR.

4) Thereafter, draft generally best offensive player available and hope for a little serendipity.

Based on how well they did with FAs, I am being sarcastic; I don't expect much better from them during the Draft. What is with the making the 2025 playoffs? That is a very high expectation and unrealistic. The Patriots got their best move when the Bills traded Stefon Diggs.

The difference is that the free agent market sucked at their positions of greatest needs, and this draft fits those needs perfectly.The worst thing you can do when your a bad team is to blow big money on mediocre players, and draft out of desperation.

The majority on this board says qb is what this team needs right now.....I would ask a Doctor of football this question about the Patriots 2024 season. Give it to me straight, will this offense be better this year with a rookie qb starting? 2nd, how many years will it take for us to get to the playoffs? If it's the qb I like Penix.

Last edited:
I want nothing but offensive players. One of each position. I don't care

1) QB at 3, assuming no pathologically generous offer is made for the pick, which I do not expect.

2) Take the best OT available 2nd round or trade up for one. I think there are likely (both this year and generally) to be more WR options later in the draft than OT options, who go higher.

3) Take a flyer at an X WR.

4) Thereafter, draft generally best offensive player available and hope for a little serendipity.
I strongly agree with 1-3.

However, I think that you underestimate our 2025 and 2026 needs on Defense. The draft, especially after the first 40 picks is primarily about the future. We will need a DT, DE and a S. I wouldn't even be surprised if we pick a CB.

However, I think that you underestimate our 2025 and 2026 needs on Defense. The draft, especially after the first 40 picks is primarily about the future. We will need a DT, DE and a S. I wouldn't even be surprised if we pick a CB.
Re-sign Barmore, Judon, and Dugger problem solved.

That said QB at 3, trade up from 34 to be sure we get an LT. Then all bets are off and you can go for some depth on D if there isn't a WR we like.

Maye had a better WR in Walker than he will have on the Pats, and managed to go 4-4 in a league so devoid of talent that its undefeated champion was left out of the CFB playoff, and suddenly everyone thinks he will be the savior of the Pats?

You want to nail the draft? Give Jacoby MHJ

Maye had a better WR in Walker than he will have on the Pats, and managed to go 4-4 in a league so devoid of talent that its undefeated champion was left out of the CFB playoff, and suddenly everyone thinks he will be the savior of the Pats?

You want to nail the draft? Give Jacoby MHJ
Maye will have the WR's he needs in 2025.

Not drafting a QB who won't play until 2025 because we don't good enough receivers in 2024 makes little sense to me.

We are NOT building this Offense for a 2024 playoff run.
========
There are many variations on a theme. But the theme/plan is clear: draft a QB early and draft a future starter at LT. Solidify the OL. Then build around the skills of the new QB.

Last edited:

Great footwork, Lefty, Cannon arm, fast, pro style offense.

Last edited:
Keep 3 and somehow convince the Cardinals to trade 4 to the Pats. Houston did something similar and it jump started their rebuild. Maye and MHJ would be a tremendous haul. Due to needing a LT I'm not sure how smart/feasible it is to do this. However, this would really power up the offense.

The difference is that the free agent market sucked at their positions of greatest needs, and this draft fits those needs perfectly.The worst thing you can do when your a bad team is to blow big money on mediocre players, and draft out of desperation.
good point Ivan. They can not fill the needs that they have with drafted players. They will have to try to make trades for positions needed. That will be difficult for them. Don't forget that while the Krafts have said they would stay out of the selection needs that does not seem to be the case with Robert saying one thing and Jonathon saying another. Robert wants Prescott and will wait until 2025 to get him from Dallas who didn't extend him.

If the best player available later in the draft happens to be at a defensive position which is a present or prospective position of need, I wouldn't squawk much about taking him, but I would certainly lean toward offense this draft year, given the deplorable state in which the offense finds itself, and the fact that next draft will also almost certainly find us still rebuilding and - my guess - sitting again with a top-ten pick. If at that point there is a more balanced array of needs. - offense and defense - you can address then whatever defensive needs have become apparent. I think generally that you have to have a strategy going in. - in this case an emphasis on offense - but you can't let that strategy prevent you from paying attention to the particular players who happen to fall to you, at whatever position.

Re-sign Barmore, Judon, and Dugger problem solved.

That said QB at 3, trade up from 34 to be sure we get an LT. Then all bets are off and you can go for some depth on D if there isn't a WR we like.
Barmore, Judon and Dugger is a fine start.

After all, if we re-sign Barmore, we'll have Barmore, White, Pharms and Roberts signed for 2025.

FREE AGENT DL's IN 2025
Barmore
Godchaux
Wise
Ekuale
Watts
==========
We need to decide who we want to extend as part of the future, and who we need to replace. I would think that this replacement should start/continue in the 2024 draft.

Trade out of #3. Watch the run of QBs, WRs, and Alt. If we’re at 11, teams will want to trade up. This is a strong top-end draft. Guys will go in the teens who, in other years, would be top ten selections.

Exhibit A is UCLA’s Laiatu Latu.

So we trade back. Again. Load up on draft capital.

Maye or Daniels, dynamic wr at 34, LT prospect to compete with chuks in the mid rounds.

Honestly would be happy with the offseason if we hit on these. You mostly kept at top 10 defense together and addressed your critical needs. If LT is still bad you can sit the qb until next year and prioritize LT/ resigning the fa on defense.

Even though the offense is in dire need of help, there still needs to be some balance across the roster at draft time. In addition to addressing the needs unique to this roster year, Wolf needs to establish an ongoing framework to address talent acquisition that optimizes the combination of needs and opportunities that change on a yearly basis. Ideally there are vets and young developmental players to provide depth and competition at every position on the roster and on field capability in all three phases of the game. If the team alternates offense and defense focused drafts the roster will always be in flux.

Clearly the biggest needs are on offense so use 3 to get the QB. If there is a legit OT available then use 34 to fill that gap. After that it becomes too much of a crap shoot to target specific needs. After the second pick, draft the BPA and use position as a tie breaker if choosing between equal players at that pick. This is a good opportunity to get things back on track.

Even though the offense is in dire need of help, there still needs to be some balance across the roster at draft time. In addition to addressing the needs unique to this roster year, Wolf needs to establish an ongoing framework to address talent acquisition that optimizes the combination of needs and opportunities that change on a yearly basis. Ideally there are vets and young developmental players to provide depth and competition at every position on the roster and on field capability in all three phases of the game. If the team alternates offense and defense focused drafts the roster will always be in flux.

Clearly the biggest needs are on offense so use 3 to get the QB. If there is a legit OT available then use 34 to fill that gap. After that it becomes too much of a crap shoot to target specific needs. After the second pick, draft the BPA and use position as a tie breaker if choosing between equal players at that pick. This is a good opportunity to get things back on track.
I agree with all this.

My only comment is that I would consider trading up from 34 for a stud LT if that is possible.

good point Ivan. They can not fill the needs that they have with drafted players. They will have to try to make trades for positions needed. That will be difficult for them. Don't forget that while the Krafts have said they would stay out of the selection needs that does not seem to be the case with Robert saying one thing and Jonathon saying another. Robert wants Prescott and will wait until 2025 to get him from Dallas who didn't extend him.

I don’t think they can fix everything this offseason,
but I do think they can fix 2 out of their 3 biggest needs. Or they can choose to get at least one really good prospect at all 3. That could be QB/OL/WR, or QB/OL/ OT, or QB/WR/WR. Or they could ignore QB altogether, or draft a QB later, in which case it won’t matter anyways because they will suck for years to come.

QB, LT, WR, WR... probably in that order... and take a kicker in the 6th or 7th.

They need to fix one phase, offense... fix it.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back