PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How the Patriots slowed down the Chiefs, article by Brad Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the one point where you have to agree with the "draftologists" that are critical of the Pats - In a cap environment hitting big on a draft, especially at high $ positions (QB, WR, DE), can set up a team very well for a 4-5 year span with the rookie scale. Very much boom and bust approach however.
i disagree. Problem with that thinking is hitting big on drafting at the top is not a boom or bust approach, it’s a flash in the pan approach. The resulting roster is unbalanced with too many big holes to fill them all with veteran free agents. So the resulting team is most likely destined for mediocrity. Good enough to win some games, mostly against weaker teams, not good enough to win consistently against good teams. Result is they no longer draft at the top of the order and can no longer execute the strategy of hitting big on draft picks. So they need to build their team in other ways and just aren’t up to it. That’s where Belichick is a genius, he builds a balanced team and when he hits big in the draft it’s not the flashy big names. It’s Onwenu, or some average QB nobody wants that he can get in the sixth round...

i disagree. Problem with that thinking is hitting big on drafting at the top is not a boom or bust approach, it’s a flash in the pan approach. The resulting roster is unbalanced with too many big holes to fill them all with veteran free agents. So the resulting team is most likely destined for mediocrity. Good enough to win some games, mostly against weaker teams, not good enough to win consistently against good teams. Result is they no longer draft at the top of the order and can no longer execute the strategy of hitting big on draft picks. So they need to build their team in other ways and just aren’t up to it. That’s where Belichick is a genius, he builds a balanced team and when he hits big in the draft it’s not the flashy big names. It’s Onwenu, or some average QB nobody wants that he can get in the sixth round...

I'm not sure you've read my past posts re: drafting vs building a team because I basically state exactly what you just did. One (drafting) is simply one part of a greater "whole". Where my point lies is that given the rookie scale you can do those other things (signings, etc) with much more flexibility if you hit on the high draft pick(s) because they are not going to break your cap in the first contract.

I wanted to throw a bone to those that live and die by the draft round these parts that there is absolutely an aspect of drafting that can immediately elevate a high cost skill position at much lower cost when compared to going and getting the same skill position on the Free Agent market.

Wanted to bump this up- watched the Raiders beat Chiefs today and they stole BB's plan. On the crucial INT by Mahomes to seal the game, the Raiders (wait for it) rushed 3 and dropped 8.

Guenther, however, one-upped BB in that he didn't unveil this until the second half. He was going with a generic, predictable scheme for the first half which lulled Mahomes into a false sense of security before the rug got pulled out from under him in the 2nd half.

Steelers have drafted well at WR, RB and OL and have a HOF QB. The Pats can't seemingly draft a WR and are marginal drafting at RB. Have done well at OL but not too many Pro Bowlers. Pats have outscored the Steelers every single year since 2005 with many years by a wide margin. Always want to draft well but its just one piece of the puzzle.

This reminds me of all the articles in 2-7 about how the Ravens had "the blueprint" to beat the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back